[SOLVED] CPU running hotter/harder after a few months

Jan 21, 2022
So I just built my first pc back in October '21. It worked fantastically until about a month ago I started noticing that my cpu temps were rising a good bit especially during gaming sessions. I've already replaced thermal paste twice as well as reinstalled windows. I'm trying to avoid solutions that require settings changes as I haven't made any changes since I built the rig BEFORE the problem started. When I first built the system I could run games and barely hit 60 degrees for my CPU and now it seems it sits at anywhere between 60-75 very easily doing simple things such as just moving in game. The system fully idle will still sit at 35-40 degrees, its just the gaming side that seems to be causing the issue. Everything I've looked up from others comes close in terms of situation but nothing exact. If anyone can tell me why things have changed and why nothing I'm doing is resolving it, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Here are my specs:

Intel i5-11600k
MSI Z590 Gaming Carbon Wifi Motherboard
MSI Ventus 3060 TI
2 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM
Corsair RM750X Power Supply
MSI Mag Core 360r Liquid Cooler AIO
1TB MSI Spatium M480 NVMe
2TB Samsung EVO SATA SSD

Solution
What might have changed?

Your temperatures may be higher because air has intruded into your system.
It happens, aio coolers do not last forever.

But, your processor can tolerate a lot of heat.
Run Hwmonitor.
If the highest temperatures you see are perhaps 85c. I would not worry too much.
The cpu will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
Jan 21, 2022
My AIO is top mounted. I watched a ton of vids like that just to make sure I didn't put it in a less than idea position. The original thermal paste came with the cooler, but the one I used to replace it twice after was Corsair XTM50.

What might have changed?

Your temperatures may be higher because air has intruded into your system.
It happens, aio coolers do not last forever.

But, your processor can tolerate a lot of heat.
Run Hwmonitor.
If the highest temperatures you see are perhaps 85c. I would not worry too much.
The cpu will monitor it's own temperatures and will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Solution
Jan 21, 2022
I wouldn't worry so much about temperatures if this had been even a year..but my performance should not drop off this much in less than 3 months.. Not lasting forever and not lasting 3 months are very different things. I had already noticed lots of negative reviews about the cooler after this started happening, but thought it might be something else as it still idles just fine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't worry so much about temperatures if this had been even a year..but my performance should not drop off this much in less than 3 months.. Not lasting forever and not lasting 3 months are very different things. I had already noticed lots of negative reviews about the cooler after this started happening, but thought it might be something else as it still idles just fine.
The MSI coolers are just garbage, don't last should of never been built.
Should of used Asetek parts like most do.
Why try to reinvent the wheel by mounting the pump in the rad.

Last edited:
So I just built my first pc back in October '21. It worked fantastically until about a month ago I started noticing that my cpu temps were rising a good bit especially during gaming sessions. I've already replaced thermal paste twice as well as reinstalled windows. I'm trying to avoid solutions that require settings changes as I haven't made any changes since I built the rig BEFORE the problem started. When I first built the system I could run games and barely hit 60 degrees for my CPU and now it seems it sits at anywhere between 60-75 very easily doing simple things such as just moving in game. The system fully idle will still sit at 35-40 degrees, its just the gaming side that seems to be causing the issue. Everything I've looked up from others comes close in terms of situation but nothing exact. If anyone can tell me why things have changed and why nothing I'm doing is resolving it, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Here are my specs:

Intel i5-11600k
MSI Z590 Gaming Carbon Wifi Motherboard
MSI Ventus 3060 TI
2 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM
Corsair RM750X Power Supply
MSI Mag Core 360r Liquid Cooler AIO
1TB MSI Spatium M480 NVMe
2TB Samsung EVO SATA SSD
Your time frame is very short, though I have found my 10850K can run a little warmer as dust builds up on the radiator. When your measuring temps make sure to use the latest version of the software.