[SOLVED] CPU running near 100c on startup/restart and during games

FROMtheASHES984

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I have an i7-6700k with a Corsair H100i v2 cooler, and just recently my CPU temps have started to rise upwards of 100c (according to both Corsair Link and HWMonitor) upon starting or restarting my computer or when I'm tabbed into a game - even seemingly unintensive games that have quite literally never stressed my CPU (like WoW and even Slay the Spire). The strangest thing is, when I see the temp indicator light up on my motherboard, I alt-tab out of the game, and the temp instantly drops. It typically idles around 36-38 if I'm doing regular daily things and was idling between 42 and 45 when I loaded into BIOS. Temps have been moderately high during games in the past, but nothing this bad. I've recently had problems with even getting Anthem to start (because it just maxes out my CPU and then crashes my computer, but that's another issue altogether), but other games don't register much CPU usage at all at near max video settings. I also just had a Windows update applied sometime last week if that's at all relevant.

Other than that, I don't feel like I've changed any settings on my computer or used it in any different fashion than normal. So far, I've done a full virus scan with no issues and applied new thermal paste with the same results in both BIOS and normal usage. Also, Corsair Link seems to show my pump working (a fluctuating temp and rpm are shown), and I can feel vibration in both tubes. However, I don't see the actual pump listed in HWMonitor - only the fans which do update as I change settings and speeds in Link. At this point, I'm not sure if it's an issue with my CPU, the water cooler, or some other unknown factor so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
fluctuating temp and rpm could be a pump issue what happens if you press one of the pipe and could you try a cpu air cooler on cpu .