[SOLVED] CPU runs hot when side panel glass is installed

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My case is an ANT ESPORTS ICE 130 AG. I've got 2 fans on top for intake, one fan on back for exhaust and one fan at front for intake.

When I play games with the glass panel installed, my CPU heats upto 70 degrees and when I remove it, it doesn't go above 62 degrees on 100% load.
Is this because of the fans? The exhaust fan is right behind the CPU cooler. the CPU fan is facing the RAM slots, so it pushes air towards the exhaust fan (My fan is an antec a30).

What do I do?

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030
12 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM
Cooler Master 450 watt V2 bronze PSU
Ant Esports 3 fan kit ARGB
Zebronics H61 Motherboard

Solution
My case is an ANT ESPORTS ICE 130 AG. I've got 2 fans on top for intake, one fan on back for exhaust and one fan at front for intake.

When I play games with the glass panel installed, my CPU heats upto 70 degrees and when I remove it, it doesn't go above 62 degrees on 100% load.
Is this because of the fans? The exhaust fan is right behind the CPU cooler. the CPU fan is facing the RAM slots, so it pushes air towards the exhaust fan (My fan is an antec a30).

What do I do?

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030
12 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM

Try using just one fan at the top for exhaust, towards the back. Leave the top fan towards the front...

What do I do?

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030
12 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM
If the highest it goes is 70C....I don't think you really need to do anything.
70C is acceptable.
It isn't odd for things to run cooler with the case open.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

What do I do?

My specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030
12 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM

Try using just one fan at the top for exhaust, towards the back. Leave the top fan towards the front disconnected/open for the time being. Or do it the other way around, top front as intake, leave the top rear open.

If you're seeing noticeably lower temps with open side panel (>2 deg C or so), it usually means there's airflow work to do. To be fair, your case seems like it'll do better with negative pressure --more fans as exhaust rather than intake. Not sure how free-flowing the holes at the bottom front are, but seems like cases with a little (so not non-existent) intake flow likes negative pressure better, NZXT H500 comes to mind.

Chasing temps in any particular case and setup really boils down to trial and error. It's anyone guess which setup is better since it differs greatly case to case and setup to setup.

Solution

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
With my PC case, I spent hours moving fans around to push or pull until I got the best results. My case is stuck in a corner with no real options to change location, I also live in a country with high daily temps, plus no A/C where I sit, just ceiling fans.
So I bought a tall case with 3 x 120 mm fans at the front, 3 x120mm fan positions on the top, I use the front 2 positions. The CPU cooling tower has 2 x 120 mm fans fitted to it, one either side, the PSU has its own installed 120 mm fan which blast warm air out of the lower case rear. GPU has its own small fan.

The front 3 and top 2 fans all draw air OUT of the case, the tower fans are pointing the same way, drawing air IN from the top rear of the case. Works a treat...:p

All the fans have blue LED lights, looks like a Christmas tree.....🥳