[SOLVED] CPU Ryzen 5 3550h temperature

Apr 21, 2020
Hello. I have an HP Gaming 15 Pavilion laptop with GTX 1660 TI and Ryzen 5 3550h, 8 RAM. I use the "Gaming" mode of the battery and in idle, using a cooler pad, I have 38 degrees. Without a cooler I have 50-55 degrees. And when it reaches 55 degrees, the cooling system starts on its own and the temperature drops to 47 degrees. When I only use Google Chrome, I have 60 degrees. It is normal? the laptop has been purchased 2 weeks ago.

Model: HP Gaming Pavilion 15-Ec0023nq

Solution
Sounds like a poor cooling implementation from HP then.
They're not 'unsafe' temps, but they're definitely warm.

Personally, I'd consider returning it & picking up something with a bit more of a robust cooling solution.... but it's functioning as designed, from what I can see.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
12-17'C variance at idle seems extreme simply by adding a cooling pad.

"Normal" depends on the implementation in a given laptop. There's limited room to work with for a cooling solution, so 'warm' temperatures are common. However, what truly matters is you load temperatures.

How do things look when gaming etc? Doesn't really matter what the idle temps are (although lower the better, less fan noise etc) if load temps are under control.

Apr 21, 2020
12-17'C variance at idle seems extreme simply by adding a cooling pad.

"Normal" depends on the implementation in a given laptop. There's limited room to work with for a cooling solution, so 'warm' temperatures are common. However, what truly matters is you load temperatures.

How do things look when gaming etc? Doesn't really matter what the idle temps are (although lower the better, less fan noise etc) if load temps are under control.

While playing CS GO for example, I have a maximum of 78 degrees, medium details and 1920 resolution. In GTA V, i reached a maximum of 90 and that's it. Fixed 90. At decent games, I don't have high temperatures.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd consider returning it & picking up something with a bit more of a robust cooling solution.... but it's functioning as designed, from what I can see.

Solution
Apr 21, 2020

Unfortunately I could return it in maximum 14 days. They've already passed. I know the temperatures are quite high but they replied in a topic on the HP forum that these temperatures are "safe" if they do not reach 100. I wanted to know if Ryzen processors in general in laptops have such high temperatures.