[SOLVED] CPU Ryzen 5 3600 voltage (and core speed) high even when idling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Hi,
I just found out that having high voltages is not good, at least not when idling.
I'm worried that this isn't good for the CPU.
Main specifications:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
  • PSU: BE QUIET! STRAIGHT POWER 11 550W (BN281) 80Plus Gold modular ATX
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
i've already tried enabling (were set to auto or disabled before):
global C-state control: enabled
power supply idle control: low current idle
CPPC: enabled
CPPC Preferred cores: enabled

My voltages and core speed are still high.
At time of writing, my Core Voltage is 1.336V (CPU-Z) and sometimes goes to 1.4V but I'm not playing any games.
About CPU core speed, I havent seen it going below 3.80GHz ever even when not playing anything...

CPU-Z:
eKr0i2e.png

CPUID HWMonitor
9D8TiXV.png

LtEWnPU.png

twWHkUd.png

Thank you for your help!

Solution
Yeah, I've seen a post by some Ryzen worker on Reddit which said that CPU-Z is fine, (don't know about Ryzen Master but it shows similar results as CPU-Z)...

Otherwise, do you think it would be safe to enable A-XMP? There are 2 profiles that seem same and it would make my RAM run at 3200 Mhz (which is what it is made for as said in its name) but I don't know how will this affect my CPU ...
CPU-Z is fine if you all you need to know is the VRM output voltage...which is the same with Ryzenmaster. But I also like to know the voltage the CPU is actually getting as it can be lower on many motherboards; considerably lower when the CPU is under heavy processing load. That's the case with mine where CPU-z may read out ~1.45V while...

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
AMD's Voltage are actually quite funny.My brother has the 3400g and his cpu stock goes to 1.5ghz.Looked it up and according it's normal for the cpu.I predict it would be a little higher than my 2600 which sits around 1.25v on stock.When i oc i got it up to 4.2ghz on 1.375v.Usually i just leave it as is(i don't oc 24/7)

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
for the stock one check in bios if it on auto and pwm mode and not dc and give a look at this one the h 7 http://www.cryorig.com/product.php
I've already looked at this one but there aren't any good retailers here...
I've also considered Arctic Cooler 34 eSports but I'm not buying it due to some incompatibilities with my B450 Tomahawk Max.
I also checked Hyper 212 Black Edition but I don't know if it's worth buying it in 2021...

Edit: With Hyper 212 Black Edition, I would be left with 1.2mm clearance...

Last edited:

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
AMD's Voltage are actually quite funny.My brother has the 3400g and his cpu stock goes to 1.5ghz.Looked it up and according it's normal for the cpu.I predict it would be a little higher than my 2600 which sits around 1.25v on stock.When i oc i got it up to 4.2ghz on 1.375v.Usually i just leave it as is(i don't oc 24/7)
Okay, thanks for response!

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
give me the link where you could buy a new cooler .
hi, I've just ordered COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. I would go for Arctic Cooler 34 but it's not compatible with my B450 apparently, and for Cryorig H7, I couldn't find any retailers here...
I don't think 212 BE is a bad deal ... I don't need a very good cooler, just something decent so I can get lower temps as i've already reached 94C once when I rendered something...

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
I just found out that my Minimum Processor State in Powerplan settings was set to 99%.... (Ryzer Balanced Power Plan)
I don't think I should just leave it like that...
Should I change it?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
leave it there since it is on balance when you get new cooler in made sure the cpu is clean from old paste and new cooler is well seated on it and do not jingle and with the overrclock cpu use more power so heat up more try to stay in safe zone for temp on full load you might have to reduce overclock start with ram first the cpu after only dont go over safe voltages on it .

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Update: so I installed the new cooler (had a few issues (mobo said that CPU failed) - the cooler worked fine - but then my BIOS, CMOS and UEFI i think reset and it works fine for now).
When playing League of legends (haven't tried other games yet) my CPU voltage gets up to 1.46V or even more sometimes (haven't gotten to 1.5V tho). Average is 4.16V when playing.
When I don't do anything, it's 1.1V - ~1.37V.
Is that fine (especially when 1.4V+)?

Edit: i tried rendering a video and temperature rarely went above 63C (was 94C with previous the previous stock cooler). Average voltage was 1.383V when load was 100%. Is that safe/fine?

Last edited:
... Average is 4.16V when playing.
When I don't do anything, it's 1.1V - ~1.37V.
Is that fine (especially when 1.4V+)?

I think you meant 1.46? as 4.16 would almost certainly fry the CPU instantly. That (1.46V) is fine ... playing a game is really very light processing loads. The CPU must be running fairly cool...look at the AVERAGE temperature, not the SPIKES that happen when it boosts....at the time too.

AMD has told us it's expected, normal and BY DESIGN that Ryzen will boost 'as high as' 1.5V in light bursty processing loads. If left in AUTO (clocks and voltage) the boosting algorithm monitors hundreds of different sensors internal to the processor and makes decision on a millisecond time scale to lower clocks AND voltage to keep it safe as necessary.

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, well my clock speed is around 4GHz together with ~1.45V (constantly when playing League of Legends for example) so I don't know i that's good.
Temperature is fine.

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, well my clock speed is around 4GHz together with ~1.45V (constantly when playing League of Legends for example) so I don't know i that's good.
Temperature is fine.

Important to also know the voltage reading you're using, and the utility. You should get HWInfo64 and look at CPU Core Voltage (STI2 TFN) readout. That's the internal voltage reported by the CPU and correct.

Other VCore voltage readings can be anything and depends on the motherboard. The reason is where the sense point is located on the motherboard: the closer it is to the VRM output the higher it will be even under heavy loads. STI2 TFN reading is always the same, regardless of the motherboard.

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Important to also know the voltage reading you're using, and the utility. You should get HWInfo64 and look at CPU Core Voltage (STI2 TFN) readout. That's the internal voltage reported by the CPU and correct.

Other VCore voltage readings can be anything and depends on the motherboard. The reason is where the sense point is located on the motherboard: the closer it is to the VRM output the higher it will be even under heavy loads. STI2 TFN reading is always the same, regardless of the motherboard.
Yeah, I've seen a post by some Ryzen worker on Reddit which said that CPU-Z is fine, (don't know about Ryzen Master but it shows similar results as CPU-Z)...

Otherwise, do you think it would be safe to enable A-XMP? There are 2 profiles that seem same and it would make my RAM run at 3200 Mhz (which is what it is made for as said in its name) but I don't know how will this affect my CPU ...

CPU-Z is fine if you all you need to know is the VRM output voltage...which is the same with Ryzenmaster. But I also like to know the voltage the CPU is actually getting as it can be lower on many motherboards; considerably lower when the CPU is under heavy processing load. That's the case with mine where CPU-z may read out ~1.45V while playing a game, for instance, but it's actually getting 1.35V.

Enabling XMP can either be fine....or a disaster. It depends on the quality of the memory mostly as a Ryzen 3600 is rated for 3200 memory. And because it is rated for 3200 it won't harm your CPU at all, but should improve performance as the IF will operate at 1600Mhz.

But it can be a disaster as some memory mfr's use much higher timings for high clock speed XMP profiles then necessary. They do that to expand operating margin so it will work with the largest number of potential configurations. That can lead to unnecessary lag for your lag-sensitive applications. That's where some manual tweaking may be necessary to tune it out.

Last edited:
Solution

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
CPU-Z is fine if you all you need to know is the VRM output voltage...which is the same with Ryzenmaster. But I also like to know the voltage the CPU is actually getting as it can be lower on many motherboards; considerably lower when the CPU is under heavy processing load. That's the case with mine where CPU-z may read out ~1.45V while playing a game, for instance, but it's actually getting 1.35V.

Enabling XMP can either be fine....or a disaster. It depends on the quality of the memory mostly as a Ryzen 3600 is rated for 3200 memory. And because it is rated for 3200 it won't harm your CPU at all, but should improve performance as the IF will operate at 1600Mhz.

But it can be a disaster as some memory mfr's use much higher timings for high clock speed XMP profiles then necessary. They do that to expand operating margin so it will work with the largest number of potential configurations. That can lead to unnecessary lag for your lag-sensitive applications. That's where some manual tweaking may be necessary to tune it out.
Hi, so I downloaded HWInfo64 and it works fine (it sometimes shows lower values than CPU-Z or Ryzen Master, but mostly only when idling).
Another issue I face is that whenever I move my mouse, my voltage just jumps up.

Another issue I face is that whenever I move my mouse, my voltage just jumps up.
That's not really a problem, although I've not seen it on any of my Ryzen systems. It does make sense, though, as when you move your mouse you're asking the CPU to 'do something'. However small of a processing load it is if the CPU boosts a core even a little bit to process it then it will raise voltage to keep it stable.

As I said, I've not seen it. But I did see similar on my old FX systems. I wonder: are you running a mouse driver? Something like the Logitech mouse package SetPoint. It could be putting a lot more load on the CPU than the default Microsoft driver I use.

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
That's not really a problem, although I've not seen it on any of my Ryzen systems. It does make sense, though, as when you move your mouse you're asking the CPU to 'do something'. However small of a processing load it is if the CPU boosts a core even a little bit to process it then it will raise voltage to keep it stable.

As I said, I've not seen it. But I did see similar on my old FX systems. I wonder: are you running a mouse driver? Something like the Logitech mouse package SetPoint. It could be putting a lot more load on the CPU than the default Microsoft driver I use.
I don't think so...
I only have Ryzen Synapse installed...