[SOLVED] CPU (ryzen 9 3900x) runs 65 degrees while idle

Jul 7, 2021
Hello,
My specs:
Asus rog strix x570-f gaming
Ryzen 9 3900x
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Ti ROG Strix
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

Some time ago I noticed the fans on my pc made more noice than they normally would. This confused me as I had not used the pc more than I normally would. I then opened HWMonitor and my cpu (ryzen 9 3900x) is running at 65 degrees while idling. When I'm in BIOS it is running 35-40 but when I boot up it jumps to 55 and will go up to 65 and just stay there, no matter what programs I open.
So here is what I have done to try and fix the problem:
  • I cleaned the pc and fans for dust.
  • I previously had a noctua nh-d15 but I bought a watercooler (icue h115i rgb pro xt) and installed it instead. That didnt make the the temp go down.
After the rise in temperature it is also running low fps in the games, which it performed well in previously

Also I tried to install my old cpu (Ryzen 5 1600x). It was idling at around 40 degrees. then I tried my friend's Ryzen 7 3800x and it is running at the same high temperature as my own cpu.

Hope you guys can help as I am pretty lost myself

How are you applying the paste? The dies in Zen 2 based processors aren't in the middle so the whole "tiny drop in the middle" application trick may not be optimal as the spread may not cover the dies.

See the following image for how the dies are laid out (from https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-series-16-core-cpu-specs,39304.html)
A8RCToeJ67k6SihkPZQrb5.jpg

Reactions: pedekid
Jul 7, 2021
Looks like, as if something is running in the background.
How much CPU-usage in Taskmanager?
I woke up to your reply and started up my pc to go and have look. And now... I haven't done anything since I wrote this question, but the temperature of the cpu is acting normal again. Idle at 40-45 sometimes up to 50, but it is a lot better than before. I don't know what has happend.
Also the CPU usage is not very high (3-5%), but some times, around every 60 seconds, there are spikes up to 100% usage, which is probably happening at the same time as the temperature rises. Is that a problem?
Sorry for not sending a picture of the taskmanager, but I can't figure out how to insert a photo from my pc

EDIT: I think I found the problem: I had a malware called "Great Discover" installed on my pc. I can't remember when I installed that, but anyways, it is gone now and now there is no problem at all.

Thank you for letting me know about the CPU usage. Had not thought about that :))

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
Sorry for not sending a picture of the taskmanager, but I can't figure out how to insert a photo from my pc
Same for me. In other forums it easy to simply attach a picture or a text. Here in toms only network-link can be attached, which points to somewhere in the cloud (perhaps your own homepage, if you have one, or something else in the cloud, where something can be stored).

I dislike this and will not store anything in a cloud (only gaming-data for steam-account :) ).

Congratulation to you, that you found the malware.

"there are spikes up to 100% usage, which is probably happening at the same time as the temperature rises "

Yes. Windows is not sleeping, and some system-tasks etc. are always active periodically. And therefore--->> short spikes. But 100%-spikes? Seems very high. It does not happen on my 3950x.

Watch the behaviour with task-manager. Could be, that you find something more .

Reactions: pedekid
Jul 7, 2021
Yes. Windows is not sleeping, and some system-tasks etc. are always active periodically. And therefore--->> short spikes. But 100%-spikes? Seems very high. It does not happen on my 3950x.
The reason of the 100% spikes was the malware, so after I unistalled the program, there are only few, very small spikes. So it is all running smoothly now :)

Same for me. In other forums it easy to simply attach a picture or a text. Here in toms only network-link can be attached, which points to somewhere in the cloud (perhaps your own homepage, if you have one, or something else in the cloud, where something can be stored).

If you want to take desktop pics then use IMGUR to upload your pics to, then obtain the bburl as a link to this site.