News CPU sale: Get up to 21% off Intel Core Processors

Co BIY

Splendid
Actually looks to me like Intel may actively sell three generations at once and have their product stack be formed along generational differences rather than core counts.

That may make a lot of sense with 14+++++++++ hitting very high yields and no need to bin a lot of chips down stack. Sell only high end if it costs the same to make it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
As Intel slashes the price of their Comet Lake series, I feel it may be harder to entice people to get a Rocket Lake chip if it is priced too high. At least from benchmarks out there, Rocket Lake is not going to be significantly faster than Comet Lake when it comes to gaming and some applications. In addition, with Alder Lake launching in Q4 the same year, the number of RKL processors sold in the next 6 to 9 months may be quite limited, especially when there are shortage of GPUs and higher cost of components.

Reactions: Why_Me

ridgey

Honorable
Sep 16, 2014
As Intel slashes the price of their Comet Lake series, I feel it may be harder to entice people to get a Rocket Lake chip if it is priced too high. At least from benchmarks out there, Rocket Lake is not going to be significantly faster than Comet Lake when it comes to gaming and some applications. In addition, with Alder Lake launching in Q4 the same year, the number of RKL processors sold in the next 6 to 9 months may be quite limited, especially when there are shortage of GPUs and higher cost of components.
This would be me. I was waiting for Rocket Lake to upgrade from Haswell. However, after seeing the current benchmarks of Rocket Lake and the prices on Comet Lake, I went to Micro Center without hesitation and got a 10700K for $250.

Reactions: watzupken
You could make the exact same arguments against the last 4 generations of intel CPUs, no improvement in games due to GPU limits and not faster in some applications, that's always the case and they always make insane sale numbers. The 11th gen will have a huge improvement in IPC for some things at least and will at least have much better iGPUs to tide you over until GPU prices normalize again.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
95%+ buyers (my guess number) don't read PC related news, not to mention reviews. For "average Joe", Intel is a no brainer and many even think Windows/Office only runs on Intel. In that sense, Intel marketing really deserves all compliments.
More than 5% read news and watch benchmarks, BUT most of them type i5 10600k vs 5600X for example, first result userbenchmark and their choice is settled.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
You could make the exact same arguments against the last 4 generations of intel CPUs, no improvement in games due to GPU limits and not faster in some applications, that's always the case and they always make insane sale numbers. The 11th gen will have a huge improvement in IPC for some things at least and will at least have much better iGPUs to tide you over until GPU prices normalize again.
I don't deny Intel still sells a lot of CPU at this point in time and still making good profit. But what we don't see is the actual number of units sold. At this point, I believe that they no longer sell as many as they used to whether its for the retail or enterprise. AMD and ARM have slowly but surely been chipping away at their market share. The COVID situation kind of muddied the water because people started snapping up computers and servers to facilitate working from home. Even now, system makers are still trying to stock up their depleted inventories. So if AMD and ARM continue their momentum, I feel it will still take some time to see the effects on Intel's numbers. The idea is really that AMD and ARM have started to show that they are viable alternatives to Intel chips now and more and more people are starting to become aware. In the past, there is really no alternative other than Intel. So regardless of the numbers that Intel is still posting, the damage has been done.

As for better iGPU with Rocket Lake, I think it is a good perk, but will not really influence people to buy if their primary use is for gaming. For example, I won't buy a new CPU if I cannot get the GPU I want. If I am GPU agnostic, i.e. GPU is not a concern to me, I may just go for the cheaper Comet Lake. Furthermore, the Xe graphics on the Rocket Lake is the base config of what we see on Tiger Lake U. So I am not expecting them to perform that great when you try to game on them.

I don't deny Intel still sells a lot of CPU at this point in time and still making good profit. But what we don't see is the actual number of units sold. At this point, I believe that they no longer sell as many as they used to whether its for the retail or enterprise. AMD and ARM have slowly but surely been chipping away at their market share. The COVID situation kind of muddied the water because people started snapping up computers and servers to facilitate working from home. Even now, system makers are still trying to stock up their depleted inventories. So if AMD and ARM continue their momentum, I feel it will still take some time to see the effects on Intel's numbers. The idea is really that AMD and ARM have started to show that they are viable alternatives to Intel chips now and more and more people are starting to become aware. In the past, there is really no alternative other than Intel. So regardless of the numbers that Intel is still posting, the damage has been done.

As for better iGPU with Rocket Lake, I think it is a good perk, but will not really influence people to buy if their primary use is for gaming. For example, I won't buy a new CPU if I cannot get the GPU I want. If I am GPU agnostic, i.e. GPU is not a concern to me, I may just go for the cheaper Comet Lake. Furthermore, the Xe graphics on the Rocket Lake is the base config of what we see on Tiger Lake U. So I am not expecting them to perform that great when you try to game on them.
Covid-19 started at the end of 2019,hence the name.
Intel's sales are on a steady upwards trend since years before any fallout from covid if AMD and ARM are having any influence at all then it's so small that it doesn't even show up yet.
Even in this time of depleted inventories all mayor retailers are trying to get rid of old intel stock with huge discounts to make room for the 11th gen.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/INTC/intel/revenue
2020$77,867
2019$71,965
2018$70,848
2017$62,761
2016$59,387
2015$55,355

With GPU prices being ridiculous right now I can see a lot of people going for an APU until GPU prices normalize.