CPU Security Flaw: All You Need To Know About Spectre And Meltdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

As most things tend to be way overblown.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
InSpectre says I need to update my Z97 BIOS. My BIOS has been up to date since 2016. The update I need hasn't been written yet and I doubt it ever will.
They will probably say ' buy a new PC and you get the update'.

Adu2016

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
What is the best available defense for these 2 major flaws ?
And which anti-malware package is the best ?

thuck777

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
The "cure" is far worse than the "disease" here, as the latter is not even being exploited in the wild. Moreover, I am not willing to accept the performance hits on older systems, upon which I still rely daily. It is unacceptable for Intel, Microsoft, etc., to push these patches and BIOS updates without a) the ability for end users to say "no," and furthermore, to uninstall / reverse these updates if they are problematic. This is crap, and in the end, it only forces individuals and businesses to fork out large sums for new systems prematurely. All this is indeed worthy of class action suits, and I hope Intel, AMD, Microsoft, etc., pay heavily for their underhanded shenanigans, which should have never occurred in the first place, IMO.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have an I7-4790. My MB manufacturer has a BIOS update that says "Update Haswell CPU Microcode to revision 24 and Broadwell CPU Microcode to revision 1D." Does that include Intel's microcode fix for Spectre?

rgd1101

Don't

if it came out within the last 3 months or so. yes

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for posting the link to Gibson. He is great. I have used his software before but had forgotten about him. I used InSpectre to check all my PCs and updated the 3 that had available BIOS update.

corndog1836

Distinguished
Here is ASUS response to bios update..

Hello Jerome Cornish,

Thank you for responding to Asus Product Support, this is Olga O. again and I apologize if there will be no BIOS update for the Spectre 2 issue with your motherboard. I know how important it is to solve the issue as soon as possible. Let me further assist you.

Upon checking the BIOS version version 3003 that was released from 2015/11/23.

Unfortunately, our software engineers will no longer release any BIOS updates.

If you have any questions or comments, you can simply reply to this email to contact us again. Thank you for choosing ASUS Products and Services.

Please take note of your case number for future reference N1803152533.

Regards,
Olga O.
ASUS Product Support

http://www.asus.com/us/support/

corndog1836

Distinguished
Here is an update

Asus has released by bios 3503 for z97 motherboards. I have installed it for my Maximus formula VII motherboard. It is a stable bios and I have since tested for Spectre variant 2 with the inspectre program and it works

Status
Not open for further replies.