CPU seems too hot

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I recently had an issue with my PC and I think it may have been the AIO (Corsair H115i). The pump seemed to be dead and I was getting a message such as CPU fan speed issue detected and later on after dismantling it and taking it out of top (air was being pushed out of the case through radiator not inside from the top intake) and moving it to front on my case (Corsair Obsidian 450D) after cleaning it a little it was working OK as I could boot fine and as a result of moving my AIO I had removed 2 of the fans attached to the top where the AIO was and instead used the front fans on my AIO as they are Corsair ML140 White LED and are designed for airflow and static pressure but I was getting 70c whilst on CSGO is this normal and will my temps return to normal or better than that if I had 2 fans blowing air in from the top or even out of the case like I previously had another thing to note is that my PC idles at around 40c in this current state
is that normal too
EDIT I do have an exhaust at the back (Corsair ML120 Black)
EDIT no.2 I read a post of someone else apparently having temperature issues and he was recommend to use HWMonitor to see temps. I installed it and the max value for CPU temp is at 72c (changed to 77 whislt writing this comment) and I think it uses stored data as I did not play CSGO since installing and want to know is that from when I opened up CSGO and also it shows the value column (which I will assume is the current state of CPU) to be at 42c though it is fluctuating a lot by a couple of degrees and went up to 51c for a second
EDIT no.3 I read a post where a guy said he had a similar issue with same CPU but a different cooler and he said it may have been due to bad thermal paste and after this I think I may have out too much on (Arctic MX4 thermal paste or something like that) but not sure if this is the issue

Solution

Ambient temps play a very big role in idle CPU temps. Considering it is the hottest month of the year, I would expect some higher temps. 30-45C is perfectly fine. Check you temps underlaod and see how they react. I like for my average temps under load to be below 80C. To make sure it is cooling properly, you can download intel extreme utility and run a stress test. You can monitor your temps from there. It...
What CPU do you have? Do you have an overclock?

40C is a little high for a CPU at idle, but its not too crazy. Ambient temperature plays a big role in idle temps.

70C temps while playing a game is fine. When the CPU is under load, I like to see my temps below 80C.

I have the same cooler and the same fans. It really depends on the case and the hardware for the best performance for the radiator position. Front or top both have their advantages and drawbacks. Your temps are fine so I would leave the radiator where it is now.

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

I have the i7 7700K which I got on discount in january and do not have any OC and do not plan to OC because of the what happened uless I can idle at under around 37c and CPU temp would you think I am supposed to have as I will try to replace thermal paste and see if that works
and as I mentioned the game is CSGO which I feel should have lower temps anyway

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
please help I just noticed I had a max temp of 100c after another round of CSGO which I only played as a test and I think it mayu have only lasted a few seconds as the fans did not seem to spin louder even though I have seen them spin louder but not sure if that is due to using them as static pressure vs airflow (I assume the software "Asus AI suite" works this out automatically and adjusts the fan settings accordingly)
and should I mount 2 fans on the top of my case to see if there is any difference but I will do this tomorrow as I am tired (gone past my usual bedtime) and my back is hurting from worrying about the issue and me working my butt off trying to fix the problems but I have work tomorrow so will see

You dont say anything about what kind of Vcore you have set so I guess you are running it at default settings in bios.
Thats a bad thing :)
Intel no longer set the Vcore but the motherboard manufacturer does and they set the default Vcore to high just to make sure every cpu that get put into the socket works.
I belive if I remember correct the default Vcore on a Z270 mobo is around 1.408 Vcore.
Go into your bios and adjust Vcore from auto to manual and set the Vcore to 1.250 (you should be able to boot on that on an avg. chip)

I you dont get to boot into windows, reset and go back into bios and adjust the Vcore to 1.300

But lets say you have gotten to boot into windows at 1.250. Use HWMonitor and look at your temps now and let it run in the back ground while you test out a game or two.
Then post your temps for: Core0, Core1, Core2, Core3
And post your Vcore Value, Vcore Min, Vcore Max

Keep in mind that people have a habit of putting to mutch thermal paste on thinking more it better. That is not the case.
The layer should not be more than the width of a human hair to be honest.
When I put it on I can almost without any problems read the text on my cpu heatspreader.
The thermal paste`s job is to only fill in the microscopic uneveness that exist on the heatspreader and the cooling block.

If you are one of the unlucky ones (I was) you have gotten a "bad" 7700k from intel when it comes to the internal TIM and only way to fix that is to perform a delid and swap out the TIM intel uses.

Now this is a and should be only a last step when everything else has been tryed and nothing else works since there is a slim chance you will destory the cpu and well... hehe since you delid you dont have a warranty anymore :D
But we can cross that bridge if you ever feel the need or want to do it.

Your temps are too high. Something it's wrong with your cooler. Either it is not seated against the IHS, your fans are not spinning, the pump is not pumping, or your thermal paste is not spread evenly across the IHS. LumineZ is right, too much thermal paste is just as bad as too little.

Your voltage may be too high, but 1.408 volts should not give your 100C temps, especially if not overclocked. The 7700k does run hot and intel has reported some problems. But that should only occur when overclocked.

I would reinstall the cooler and make sure it is hooked up right. Use Corsair link to make sure your pump is running. When you are sure h115i is running right, then test the CPU running XTU stress test. If you get the same high temps I'd take the 7700k back to Intel. You should not have to delid the chip to run at stock settings.

Either the cooler is installed wrong, the cooler is defective, or the chip is defective. Considering you already had issues with the cooler, my money says it is the cooler.

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
sorry for late replies but I found out the problem when remounting the cooler something got stuck underneath it and I had to take the cooler off and clean everything and then make sure nothing managed to get underneath it is better but it is fluctuating a lot from 30C to 45C though usually it stays in between 33C and 36C

Ambient temps play a very big role in idle CPU temps. Considering it is the hottest month of the year, I would expect some higher temps. 30-45C is perfectly fine. Check you temps underlaod and see how they react. I like for my average temps under load to be below 80C. To make sure it is cooling properly, you can download intel extreme utility and run a stress test. You can monitor your temps from there. It will work your CPU a little harder than CSGO will.

Solution