[SOLVED] cpu slight crush

Aug 27, 2020
hi
so I was building my own pc today. and I was installing the cpu, I put the cpu in the slot with great care but forgot to pull and push the lever and started tightening my heatsink I did about 3 tightens of the heatsink before i realised there was a problem I took the cpu out the slots and there was no denting to the pins because they were in their slots I just wanted to ask would this have broken my cpu there was no exteroir damage as far as I know I cannot test it as my graphics card is coming tomorrow

Solution
Op put the cpu in the socket without first releasing the clamp then locking it down after.

Amd uses a pin lock system, you lift the bar and it pulls back on the clamp and let's the pins seat fully. When you lock the bar, it engages the clamps and 'grabs' the pins. If the pins are on top of the clamp, and too much pressure applied, it'd very likely warp the pins beyond straightening. You might have gotten very lucky by stopping when you did, you won't know for sure until the build is finished and power applied.
Aug 26, 2020
You should be good considering that none of the pins were broken but in the case that some pins managed to be broken you can always try to realign them with some tool.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op put the cpu in the socket without first releasing the clamp then locking it down after.

Amd uses a pin lock system, you lift the bar and it pulls back on the clamp and let's the pins seat fully. When you lock the bar, it engages the clamps and 'grabs' the pins. If the pins are on top of the clamp, and too much pressure applied, it'd very likely warp the pins beyond straightening. You might have gotten very lucky by stopping when you did, you won't know for sure until the build is finished and power applied.

Solution
Aug 27, 2020

yeah from what I could see there was no damage to the pin could there be internal damage