[SOLVED] CPU Socket/ Backwards Compatibility?

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi all.

My motherboard died on me recently; it's an Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 that was part of a custom-build system I've had for a little over 4 years now.

The motherboard has an LGA 1151 socket for the processor; my processor is an Intel Core i7, 7700K; this is a 7th Generation processor.

I would like to keep all the rest of the hardware I have in my custom-build desktop tower unit and replace the motherboard.

I've been performing some general searches on the 'Net, and also on eBay and Amazon.com. In my searches, I've been including "1151 socket".

You probably know how on places like eBay or Amazon, the searches will come back with "Featured" or "Sponsored", and then you can always refine your search by selecting things like "Prices: Low to High". Well, with a lot of the Search results - no matter the Make/ Brand - even though it's a 1151 socket on the motherboard, it will specify features like "8th & 9th Generation Intel Core".

Since my Core i7, 7700K is a 7th Generation......would it work on a motherboard like this? Hence my post's title: "CPU Socket/ Backwards Compatibility".

The number "1151" stands for the number of pins on the CPU, correct? I could see if I had a 9th Generation processor that was a 1151 socket, but if I had a motherboard that was rated at 6th & 7th Generation, it would not be forward compatible with a processor that had more recent advanced features that is 9th Generation.

So, will my Core i7, 7700K be "backward compatible" with a motherboard that has a 1151 socket but is listed as 8th & 9th Generation?

Thanks for any info;
Pez

Solution
So, will my Core i7, 7700K be "backward compatible" with a motherboard that has a 1151 socket but is listed as 8th & 9th Generation?
No.

On that same socket, there was a break between 7th Gen and 8/9 Gen.
Yes, the 'same' 1151, but no, not compatible.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
8th and 9th gen are the LGA 1151 V2 socket - 300 series motherboards.
Intel omitted it and didn't bother to correct it, so everyone else - board partners and retailers - omitted it too.
It caused quite a bit of confusion for people trying to upgrade their 6th and 7th gen cpus to 8th and 9th while using a 100/200 series motherboard.
1151 V2 isn't backward compatible with older 1151 hardware.

In short:
6th and 7th - 100 and 200 series boards.
8th and 9th - 300 series boards.

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
USAFRet & Phaaze88: thanks for your replies.

I did not realize that with the 1151 socket that there was, like,.....a "version 2.0", or as Phaaze88 put it: V2 :D

I just figured that if it was the same amount of pins (1151) that it would physically fit in the socket and all would be good....and since the board was listed as 8th & 9th gen, and my processor was 7th gen, I thought it would be backward compatible.....guess not :mad:

When I would perform Google searches for 1151 sockets, or, searches right on Amazon or eBay themselves, the results for 1151 sockets would always be 8th & 9th Gen, even when I arranged the search results to Price: Low to High. I'd find some moderately priced 1151 motherboards (don't want a high-end board just now, maybe later in the future) but they'd practically all be 8th & 9th Gen.

I mentioned my current board that died on me recently - Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 - and during my searches I found a similar one almost the same as mine on Amazon, an Aorus Z270X Gaming K7.....but even used it's about $300. You'd figure a motherboard as old as mine (or this Gaming K7), over 4 years old, would be cheaper in price. Who knows; maybe it's the current state of things with technology, silicon chips & boards, etc.

But doesn't that beat all? I'd find lots of moderately-priced boards but they'd be 8th & 9th Gen, and then a board that's almost exactly the same as mine, but it's $300 used!

Anyway, good news: I finally did track down a moderately-priced motherboard with a 1151 socket, and, it specifies "6th & 7th Gen" (and my CPU is a 7th Gen). It's an ASUS motherboard, and, I even went to their web site and looked up the specs on this board, and my specific CPU is mentioned in their Approved list (Intel Core i7, 7700K); the memory brand/ model I have is even listed!!

Thanks,
Pez