[SOLVED] CPU socket LGA question

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Hi so i guess its time to upgrade my cpu. my question is my maximus hero vii have lga 1150 cpu socket and the cpu im looking at is lga 2066. is there adapter to change the lga or I need to buy a new motherboard or get an cpu that is lga 1150?

Solution
i brought mines at amazon but its a third party seller. heres the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here is their web site: https://maestrotechnology.net/

The seller seems like a legit company, but small and I would strongly suspect it's an imported fake as their inventory seems to be either legit products at 2x market price or fakes priced to move.

The President of the company is Murray Burwick who specifically states on his linkedin page "I have the demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships with vendors, manufacturers and suppliers in South America and Asia." This part of the world is fake central. Legit products for US distribution...

DSzymborski

Titan
No, there are no adapters as they're fundamentally incompatible parts. You can only use LGA 1150 CPUs and even then, only LGA 1150 CPUs that are compatible with your motherboard, as seen in the CPU support list for your motherboard (you don't list specifics, so I can't provide any help there). Except for a couple Broadwell CPUs that were never mainstream and probably not supported by your BIOS, there haven't been CPUs released here since 2014.

Buying an LGA 2066 motherboard would be required to use any CPU on that socket. You would also need to buy DDR4 RAM as well.

Apart from that, an LGA 2066 CPU doesn't make all that much sense unless you have very specific needs and get a very good price; these CPUs were notoriously awful value for regular consumers.

Reactions: SamirD
Which one? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, but it's been several years now. I know LGA 2011 was a transition era, but I don't remember any 2066 ones (not that there aren't any, I just don't remember and I'm on my phone now).
I know for sure the e5-2630L does as that's what I have in my hp z420 with 256GB of DDR3 LRDIMMs. I'm sure there are others too.

Ah, scratch the above--I mixed up 2011 and 2066 (damn you Intel!) o_O

DSzymborski

Titan
I know for sure the e5-2630L does as that's what I have in my hp z420 with 256GB of DDR3 LRDIMMs. I'm sure there are others too.

Ah, scratch the above--I mixed up 2011 and 2066 (damn you Intel!) o_O

No worries. I hope you didn't take my post above as a gotcha; my memory isn't perfect and I wasn't sure if I had forgotten one. I still get the various 115x sockets confused.

so amazon that say its new is a scam?
Almost any place that's regularly selling new devices that have been discontinued by the original manufacturer are illegally imported fakes. You'll find these sellers on amazon, ebay, and most 'marketplace' sites. And this is not just for cpus, but anything older that's been discontinued and is selling in quantity as new--they're fakes.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
how do i tell if the cpu is fake? i ordered few days ago.
I'm not saying Samir is wrong, but take his information with a grain of salt. Not all "new" discontinued products sold on every major retailer are fake. Some are part of "forgotten" units in warehouses or brick and mortar retailers that couldn't sell the units during their regular run and are being dusted off for a rerun now that some newer parts are hard to get and super expensive.

If you purchased through Amazon, they usually provide some sort of guarantee the product you're getting is as advertised, otherwise the vendor takes a hit and you'll have to be reimbursed.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
I'm not saying Samir is wrong, but take his information with a grain of salt. Not all "new" discontinued products sold on every major retailer are fake. Some are part of "forgotten" units in warehouses or brick and mortar retailers that couldn't sell the units during their regular run and are being dusted off for a rerun now that some newer parts are hard to get and super expensive.

If you purchased through Amazon, they usually provide some sort of guarantee the product you're getting is as advertised, otherwise the vendor takes a hit and you'll have to be reimbursed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021

Even if it's a third party seller, they must adhere to Amazon's policies and Amazon itself provides protections for the buyers. Just like on ebay, you can also check a seller's reputation/rating score before you purchase.

As a side not, I wouldn't have purchased that CPU, even new, at that price.

how do i tell if the cpu is fake? i ordered few days ago.
Intel used to have a program to validate cpus--that's how I discovered a pair of x5460 I have are fake, but there were signs beforehand as they didn't perform as I originally expected them to.

Otherwise, the good fakes are almost impossible to tell by looking at them. And you will never know what maliciousness is in them. In this age of cyberwarfare and randsomware, I wouldn't risk it--especially when 'new' usually costs more too.

Major retailers with a brick and morter store won't have an issue with fakes, but online 'marketplace' sites more definitely will. And it's the apathy towards fakes that makes them profitable.

I don't think the product guarantee will matter if you find out years later it's fake after something has been hacked/compromised or has been performing sub-par. In those events, you're more worried about other things than a refund.

Here is their web site: https://maestrotechnology.net/

The seller seems like a legit company, but small and I would strongly suspect it's an imported fake as their inventory seems to be either legit products at 2x market price or fakes priced to move.

The President of the company is Murray Burwick who specifically states on his linkedin page "I have the demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships with vendors, manufacturers and suppliers in South America and Asia." This part of the world is fake central. Legit products for US distribution would come from US distributors or other domestic sources.

I've owned an auto parts company where most (if not all) of my parts were made in China. But I worked with US-based companies that were doing the 'heavy lifting' of importing product that they were having made overseas. I never worked directly with the factories even though I had the option to do so, mainly because of all the stories of bait and switch and other general shadiness of doing business with that part of the world. It is very hard even for the manufacturers to get legit product unless they stay on top of their quality control. And what about all the seconds, sub-pars, and unauthorized product runs? That's what are getting illegally imported in droves and sold like this.

One of our close friends is in charge of the battery for a certain well known cell phone company and was spending almost every other month in China. The stories he has told us about the type of fraud that goes on routinely there just shows how without any thought at all, fakes would be produced purely for profiteering off Intel's designs, and even injected with malware for political reasons.

F all that when someone local on CL, et al that just upgraded their rig is parting out their old one and can tell you everything about their old chip. That's where I would go for something like this. The advent of shipping and 'marketplace' sites is a fraudsters paradise.

The attraction for new is the warranty--and it won't help one bit if when you have an issue you send the chip back to Intel, they keep it as they discover it's an illegal fake. Then you have no cpu, and you're out the money you paid for 'new'.

Just some tidbits from what I know about the world of manufacturing and distribution. ;)

Solution