[SOLVED] CPU speed drop

Apr 23, 2022
I usually play valorant with about 200-300 FPS with no problem. but today when I logged on I started to have large FPS drops to 60-120. I checked out task manager and found out that my speed was at around 0.4-0.6 GHz which is weird considering the day before and yesterday was fine. What is the issue here? is this a BIOS issue?

specs:
Rtx 3060
i7-10700k
32gb RAM

Solution
If you did not touch the bios, it is unlikely to be the cause, but a CMOS reset or just BIOS->F5->F10 aren't hard to do so you can try.
Check thermals, maybe your pc was shook by your pet or accidentally bumped by you and the cooler makes slightly worse contact making it overheat.
Use a stress test like prime95 or aida64 and monitor temps with hardware monitor.
If the temps are normal (anything under 90C would be considered normal in this regard.) then you should try disabling intel speed-step and monitor the temps again.
(Speedstep is what makes the cpu go slower when nothing is happening.)
If you did not touch the bios, it is unlikely to be the cause, but a CMOS reset or just BIOS->F5->F10 aren't hard to do so you can try.
Check thermals, maybe your pc was shook by your pet or accidentally bumped by you and the cooler makes slightly worse contact making it overheat.
Use a stress test like prime95 or aida64 and monitor temps with hardware monitor.
If the temps are normal (anything under 90C would be considered normal in this regard.) then you should try disabling intel speed-step and monitor the temps again.
(Speedstep is what makes the cpu go slower when nothing is happening.)

Solution