Question CPU speed is running at 0.54ghz on first boot but after reboot it runs at intended speed.

Oct 17, 2019
Title. I've had no issues until I moved the PC to a friends and back. There are no heat issues within the machine and It runs perfectly after a reboot with no issues. Its just overnight if turned off my PC can start at the clock speed being that low. Additionally rarely my graphic's card can sometimes not display an image on first boot but with a reboot like above it resumes its normal activity. I have tried unseating everything and reseating it to no avail. I'm assuming its something with my PSU but I am open to suggestions because as it isnt a huge problem but its frustrating. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time

My full build is:
Cpu: Ryzen 2400x 6-core 3.6ghz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 2070 xc
Motherboard: MSI tomahawk b450
PSU: PowerSpec 750w
Ram: g.skill Ballistix sport 2 x 8gb
Chassis: Thermaltake V200 RGB
SSd: Samsung evo 500gb , Critical 256 gb
hhd: 1tb blue western digital

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of an SSD named "Critical". Did you mean "Crucial"?

While I can't say for CERTAIN that the PSU is the problem, what I CAN say, is that those PowerSpec units are generally ranging from mediocre to "really, really low quality". And, more importantly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of uniformity in the fitness of them so two different units could have wildly different results, but none of them are particularly good or even average for that matter. I'd start with replacing that PSU shaped object with something that we know is halfway decent. Off the top of my head, unless you would like to get a somewhat more expensive high quality unit, I'd suggest that you find a gray label Corsair CX or CXm 550-650w unit, because that is going to be your least expensive option for a unit that isn't purely questionable or outright garbage.

If you want something a little better than that, then I'd look for one of the units outlined as good choices here:

TRENDING THREADS