CPU Speed Lock @ 0.78GHz on Task Manager ( Windows 10)

Jul 11, 2018
I noticed a sudden slow down in my laptops performance. Looking at task manager my CPU ( Intel Core i5-4210M @ 2.6GHz ) is only running at 0.78GHz regardless of load. I have run the Intel CPU diagnostic tool and it passed all the tests. I do not believe this to be a hardware issue as when I launch Windows in Safe Mode task manager shows the CPU running at its full 2.6GHz. I've already tried reinstalling Windows however I kept all my files, apps etc as I don't have a backup drive to save what I want. I think resetting the laptop completely would work however I don't want to lose all my installed games etc as I have an incredibly bad internet connection. What should my next step be to diagnose and fix the issue?

NOTE: I have already checked my power management to ensure all settings are at 100%.

Solution
Try doing a clean boot - read instructions and make sure NOT to disable all Microsoft services or win 10 won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it should have same result as Safe mode, its possible the cause is a start up program. Slowly re enable all the services you stopped and adding startup programs back to find cause.

I was going to say its speedstep but thats a BIOS settings and fact it runs at normal speed in safe mode makes me think that is wrong. Still could be something forcing PC to run at lowest idle speed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try doing a clean boot - read instructions and make sure NOT to disable all Microsoft services or win 10 won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it should have same result as Safe mode, its possible the cause is a start up program. Slowly re enable all the services you stopped and adding startup programs back to find cause.

I was going to say its speedstep but thats a BIOS settings and fact it runs at normal speed in safe mode makes me think that is wrong. Still could be something forcing PC to run at lowest idle speed.

Solution