CPU Speed too low! Stucks on 1200MHz - Core i7 3610QM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahmanp

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I have an Asus K45VM laptop, exploits a Core i7 cpu, which core speed must be between 2.3 - 3.3 GHz. But CPU-Z and Core Temp are showing the speed at 1200MHz. I have set the Power Plan to High Performance and Minimum and Maximum power states both to 100% on both battery and plugged in cases. I have updated the BIOS version to last, but it could not make a change. It doesn't matter the laptop to be idle or under a high load, the multilier remains on 12x and core speed on 1200 MHz. I have read lots of forums, but no one could solve my problem. I have to note that there is no option in BIOS menu for enabling or disabling EIST or turbo boost of CPU.

High graphics games do not have any problem because GeForce GT 630M works properly for them. But when it goes to regular use and CPU bound applications like Matlab, it is really hard to work with such a dump situation. I am wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

Solution
I found my answer at last! Hope it to be useful for others.

Actually, the problem is about a double check for heating the CPU, named "bi-directional prochot". It is not managed to work fine and is too conservative. disabling this feature will causes no problem at all, because the default prochot is still running and prevent CPU to overheat.

To solve the problem you have to disable it. This will require a BIOS fix, but until then, I will bring adequate information on how to do this best, from an external website. But before proceed to the next step, first you must download and install ThrottleStop application from the link below:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Throttle...

What you want to do is to untick BD PROCHOT on...

bahmanp

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I found my answer at last! Hope it to be useful for others.

Actually, the problem is about a double check for heating the CPU, named "bi-directional prochot". It is not managed to work fine and is too conservative. disabling this feature will causes no problem at all, because the default prochot is still running and prevent CPU to overheat.

To solve the problem you have to disable it. This will require a BIOS fix, but until then, I will bring adequate information on how to do this best, from an external website. But before proceed to the next step, first you must download and install ThrottleStop application from the link below:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Throttle...

What you want to do is to untick BD PROCHOT on the main screen and then Save it. It only needs to be configured once every boot-up, until a BIOS update exists. So throw a shortcut of TS into your StartUp folder. Also config it from Options to Start Minimized if you are going to have it start at Windows boot. To prevent seeing the application on every boot, go into the Throttlestop CFG file (ThrottleStop.ini) and add the line "ExitTime=1", so on startup it loads the program and closes it immediately.

You may take a look here for more discussion:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3322.html

PS: I have asked this question later in the form of a discussion, no one answered except myself, and I could not mark it as solved. I have replaced it with this one, so people can find answer to their similar problem as solved.

Solution

Victor_39

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Thank you for your solution! This fix works great on my Asus N76VM Win10 laptop. The laptop was slow when charging, and fast on battery power.. I don't have to buy a new laptop now it uses it's full Intel i7 capacity again :)
Greetings from The Netherlands

Jul 11, 2018

Bro Thank you so much! I've been finding solution about this for a week now :D thank you so much

May 21, 2021
Thank you very much, i have had this issue since 2013 in my old hp dv6 until today that i found your soluction. i only register to thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.