CPU Speed/Usage Drops

Jun 28, 2018
Hey, I'm writing this thread seeking for help. For the past months, my gaming laptop has had performance issues. The CPU clock frequency/speed keeps oscillating between 1 and 2.8 GHz. I have a Kaby Lake i7-7700hq CPU, and it has a stock speed of 2.8ghz and a turbo boost up to 3.8ghz. I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) and confirmed the laptop was power limit throttling, I do not know how to fix the issue. I have tried factory resetting my laptop twice, and have had no results in doing so (logically won't turbo boost since it's power limit throttling). I have tried resolving this issue using applications such as throttlestop, CPU-Z, MSI Afterburner, etc.. I have done every supportassist test (It's a Dell computer) and every ePSA Pre-Boot Assessment test. I have also tried undervolting the CPU and GPU, as well as increasing the pl1 and pl2 values to 92W to demand more power.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7000 7567 Gaming. The specs are:

i7-7700hq
nVIDIA GTX 1050-Ti
8GB DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD

I have monitored my issue playing video games such as fortnite, league of legends and various steam games.

Through task manager, I can see that while stressing the system the utilization goes as down as 27%, while the speed goes as down as 1.3 ghz. Even when
I open the Resource Monitor, the CPU usage can be seen at 30% and each individual core is at a different usage, some at 40%, some at 20%, some at 70%, etc.

These are some results I saw when I opened up Core Temp to see the thermals:

Core #0-75C
Core #1-70C
Core #2-77C
Core #3-70C

I am lost when it comes to this Issue and where it's coming from. I have tried increasing the processor minimum state to 100% in the advanced settings of the power options, and I am currently using the high performance battery plan. I would appreciate any help/opinions on this issue I'm facing. I understand it might be a hardware issue, but I can't recognize what part I need to get fixed or replace if it is one. Thank you for your time and dedication to read this post :).

Solution
It is possible that it is a problem of high temperature and that the system brakes the processor. Try to clean dust all the parts to which you have access, for example the air inlets.
Jun 28, 2018

I cleaned dust and checked the vents. There wasn't much fluff and my inlets are clean. The only part I haven't checked is the heatsink, which is way under everything on my laptop and is a pain to get to. Any suggestions? Game still lagging bad :/

P.S: I don't feel experienced enough to disassemble the laptop myself, but if somehow it is a hardware issue and it's determined, I have a Dell near me that does hardware fixes.