Question CPU Spikes = Stuttering in all games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2019
Hello, all.
I've been dealing with stuttering in all of my games for around a year now.
I still have no clue on how to fix this issue, as it used to work perfectly fine before.
I definitely think it's CPU related at this point, and i'll get to why I think that in a second.
Here are the things i've tried that haven't worked:

Reinstalling Windows
Reinstalling latest Nvidia drivers
Moving games to SSD
Changing core affinity in games (Less makes it worse)
Changing page file size to the recommended value
Cleaning the dust out of my PC
Testing the RAM with MemTest86
Removing the two old sticks of RAM
Installing Windows to SSD and booting off of there
Unparking Cores (They already were)
Using HDMI instead of VGA to my monitor (Did the same thing)
Testing with and without Vsync
Lowering graphical settings in all games (Still stutters)
And i've probably tried more things that I can't think of at the moment.

Just to be very clear, this stuttering only occurs when loading a menu, area, or entities in a game.
By stuttering I do NOT mean screen tearing. A lot of people i've seen mention stuttering do not realize that it is not the same as screen tearing.
Now, the reason I think it's CPU related is because when I monitor the CPU usage in any game while playing or "loading", the stutter forces the CPU to spike to 100%.
This is really all I have to go on at this point in time. Some games run better than others, and some games run better when playing Multiplayer, rather than single player.
If I play Minecraft in single player, it stutters horribly, but Multiplayer runs way smoother and with less hesitations. CS:GO, is the opposite when I practice offline though.
Nvidia settings i've changed around - nothing makes a difference with that.
I've tried running my PC on balanced power mode and high performance, but no luck with that.
I've even tried disabling turbo mode for my CPU just to test performance and nothing with that either.
I have no clue why it is doing this, but if anyone here can think of anything, please let me know.

SETUP / SPECS:
1920x1080 HP 60hz monitor
Windows 8.1
16gb RAM
Intel I5-4440
MSI GTX 970
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

Thanks in advance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh sorry didn't realise that driver was for Win10 only. Im sure you could have searched win8.1 variant 😊

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/126905/en-us

---

Regarding the chipset driver, your Lenovo make is the k450 isn't it? The model number i got from your userbench results page lead me to that. There is a k430 version but that's for 3rd gen. Can you clarify, what does your manual cover say?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The reason we're trying to install manufacturer specific driver is Window's generic driver could be causing problems despite being updated. Only reason why it would be updated is automatic driver updates is still enabled.

I asked earlier to look into it. Disable driver updates to prevent Windows updates installing it's own driver including graphics drivers.

https://ccm.net/faq/35640-prevent-windows-8-1-from-automatically-installing-new-drivers

May 25, 2019
Btw, go easy on guys trying to help. It can be tedious going over a thread with many posts.
Yeah, true.
If that came off rude, it was not my intention.
Regarding the chipset driver, your Lenovo make is the k450 isn't it? The model number i got from your userbench results page lead me to that. There is a k430 version but that's for 3rd gen. Can you clarify, what does your manual cover say?
Yeah, it's the K450. I just checked the receipt I kept from when I got it.
The reason we're trying to install manufacturer specific driver is Window's generic driver could be causing problems despite being updated. Only reason why it would be updated is automatic driver updates is still enabled.

I asked earlier to look into it. Disable driver updates to prevent Windows updates installing it's own driver including graphics drivers.

https://ccm.net/faq/35640-prevent-windows-8-1-from-automatically-installing-new-drivers
Yeah, I disabled driver updates through Windows.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah no worries.

Did you disable updates recently or soon after installing windows? Im thinking updates could have already caused problems if the former, it could be worth trying another reinstall and disable driver updates asap.

Try an older Nvidia driver. Between when the system was running fine till now, that would be the only other significant change. Wouldn't think so though, but since Rtx release some driver releases were questionable on older cards. People have reported better performance on 10 series cards using 3xx drivers. Not sure what other problems newer drivers extend to if any at all, it's just an assumption to troubleshoot.

May 25, 2019
Yeah no worries.

Did you disable updates recently or soon after installing windows? Im thinking updates could have already caused problems if the former, it could be worth trying another reinstall and disable driver updates asap.

Try an older Nvidia driver. Between when the system was running fine till now, that would be the only other significant change. Wouldn't think so though, but since Rtx release some driver releases were questionable on older cards. People have reported better performance on 10 series cards using 3xx drivers. Not sure what other problems newer drivers extend to if any at all, it's just an assumption to troubleshoot.

I disabled updates recently.
I will check for an old GTX970 driver, but i'm not sure how much luck i'll have with that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe not at all but atleast we'll know.

If installing older Geforce driver doesn't work. (don't forget to set preferred maximum performance incase optimal is bugged even in the latest drivers). Or reinstalling Windows and updates disabled still doesn't work then I don't know what else to suggest.

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
if that dont work i would throw the OEM board get a proper one that has a proper web site for drivers just a thought 😅

but in all seriousness if that dont fix it you have pretty much try every thing we can think of . in my mind is the drivers or windows doing some thing strange with that board or maybe some thing physical with the board thats gone wrong

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
Maybe not at all but atleast we'll know.

If installing older Geforce driver doesn't work. (don't forget to set preferred maximum performance incase optimal is bugged even in the latest drivers). Or reinstalling Windows and updates disabled still doesn't work then I don't know what else to suggest.
I knew this would happen anyway, but yeah the older driver didn't fix it.

Some things to try to reduce CPU /Disk usage and some latency items:

Clear your graphics driver with something like DDU, and reinstall your Nvidia drivers with only the graphics driver, and IF NEEDED, the HDMI sound and PhysX. Do NOT install GeForce Experience or the 3D Vision stuff. Skip the 4xx driver versions and try an older driver from before Turing became the focus.
Guru3D maintains a depository of older drivers:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html

Go into advanced power settings, performance mode. Use the advanced properties to further set CPU min/Max states to 100%, Set PCIE link state power management to off.

In the NVidia control pane, set to "prefer maximum performance"

Use a tool such as NVidia Profile Inspector to set a limit on FPS that matches your monitor refresh rate. Using VSync may be indicated. You'll need to reset this flag with every driver install.

Disable Cloud saves and Synchronization in your Gaming Clients (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc)

Disable all overlays in your game clients.

Disable OneDrive if you can live with that.

Turn off storage sense if active

Disable Consumer Experience Improvement Program related items. See:

Block other system churning telemetry:

Disable the hibernation system if active.

Disable all search indexing (big background hog)

Use Autoruns from Microsofts Sysinternal Utilities to see what is being autostarted. Many autostart items will NOT be listed conventionally in Startup. See what is being started up and what items specific to your system might be dumpable.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Services to consider disabling: (Some telemetry related, ymmv depending on your particular usage scenarios)
A user named BlackViper maintains a site listing you may find helful for that:
See also:
https://www.winhelp.us/disable-unneeded-services-in-windows.html

Turn PreFetch off: (Requires going into the registry)

How invasive is your Antivirus? Many functions you can turn off in "helpful" all in one suites. YMMV of course depending on your usage habits. I run Avast for instance, but ONLY run the Web and File Shield because of my browsing habits/computer usage. Everything you don't need is background churn.

This doesn't go of course into your 3rd party programs/services you may have installed, and you may need to cull here as well.

May 25, 2019
Some things to try to reduce CPU /Disk usage and some latency items:

Clear your graphics driver with something like DDU, and reinstall your Nvidia drivers with only the graphics driver, and IF NEEDED, the HDMI sound and PhysX. Do NOT install GeForce Experience or the 3D Vision stuff. Skip the 4xx driver versions and try an older driver from before Turing became the focus.
Guru3D maintains a depository of older drivers:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html

Go into advanced power settings, performance mode. Use the advanced properties to further set CPU min/Max states to 100%, Set PCIE link state power management to off.

In the NVidia control pane, set to "prefer maximum performance"

Use a tool such as NVidia Profile Inspector to set a limit on FPS that matches your monitor refresh rate. Using VSync may be indicated. You'll need to reset this flag with every driver install.

Disable Cloud saves and Synchronization in your Gaming Clients (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc)

Disable all overlays in your game clients.

Disable OneDrive if you can live with that.

Turn off storage sense if active

Disable Consumer Experience Improvement Program related items. See:

Block other system churning telemetry:

Disable the hibernation system if active.

Disable all search indexing (big background hog)

Use Autoruns from Microsofts Sysinternal Utilities to see what is being autostarted. Many autostart items will NOT be listed conventionally in Startup. See what is being started up and what items specific to your system might be dumpable.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Services to consider disabling: (Some telemetry related, ymmv depending on your particular usage scenarios)
A user named BlackViper maintains a site listing you may find helful for that:
See also:
https://www.winhelp.us/disable-unneeded-services-in-windows.html

Turn PreFetch off: (Requires going into the registry)

How invasive is your Antivirus? Many functions you can turn off in "helpful" all in one suites. YMMV of course depending on your usage habits. I run Avast for instance, but ONLY run the Web and File Shield because of my browsing habits/computer usage. Everything you don't need is background churn.

This doesn't go of course into your 3rd party programs/services you may have installed, and you may need to cull here as well.

I've already installed older drivers with DDU, set CPU min / max states to 100%, set PCIE link state power management to off, Disabled game overlays, Disabled cloud saves, Disabled OneDrive, Disabled Hibernation, and I can't find "Storage Sense" on my OS anywhere. I think that might be a Windows 10 thing. As for the rest, I can try it, but at this point I find it hard to believe that this stuttering issue would appear out of nowhere all because of background services. I'm thinking about just replacing this motherboard and processor.

May 25, 2019
Zen 2 out in July. Think Gremlins may have got the better of this.

What other games do you play? Have you looked around for game specific fixes? Tweaks?
Yeah, thanks for all of the help but I definitely can foresee the replacement of my PC parts in the near future.
I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but every game I play except for Grand Theft Auto 3 runs poorly.
I have around 200 games on steam and they all run pretty bad.
Mostly what i've been trying to play is Minecraft, but I can't play that in singleplayer because of the stuttering.
(for whatever reason it runs way better online in my friends server.)
I haven't looked for performance tweaks, and I never had to before, but I can try.
The most frustrating part surrounding all of this is that all of my games used to run fine.
Now even the simplest games can stutter terribly.
I definitely meet the recommended requirements for each game, too.

May 25, 2019
Fair enough. Minecraft can get really busy depending how many mods or what's been built.

If other games are running worse than before too then yeah, i have no idea.

Hope an upgrade fixes things.

I mean, yeah Minecraft can definitely get busy, but the stutter is the worst when I just load into the game.
It's almost unplayable at the start for at least 2 - 5 minutes as it loads in the rest of the area.
Every game stutters and none of them used to do that, so i'm hoping an upgrade fixes things as well of course.
I'm not sure there's much else I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS