Question CPU started to Overheat during stress test and gaming

Jan 21, 2022
Hi guys,

I need some advise with my CPU. From about 2 weeks now my CPU started to gain heat extremely fast. During stresss test it gets over 91 degrees celcius and I manually abort the stress as I dont want to damage the CPU.
It was working absolutely OK for the past 2 months and now for some reason started to overheat. I have applied new thermal paste today - Kryonaut, but it doesn't change a thing. Idle stays at about 45-50 degrees during gaming
gets to about 90 degrees or 85 when underclock it a bit -1.275V, clockspeed 4.5MHz so nothing crazy. Before it never gone above 80 degrees during stress test when underclocked it. Is it possible that something could damage the CPU?

SPECS:

RYZEN 9 5950X - never overclocked, just underclocked occasionally - worked spot on until 2 weeks ago - brand new
ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VIII - brand new
NVIDIA RTX 3070 -brans new
32GB Corsair RT AMD Ready 3600MHz - brand new
AIO- MSI CoreLiqiod 240R - brand new

I've no idea what happened. Now I have to underclock it to keep it under 90 degrees during gaming. I only undercklocked it to reduce the noise and drop the temp about 10-15 degrees just to keep it below 75 degrees. Can this be faulty AIO or CPU? I'll be grateful for any information or recomandation.

Peace

Jan 21, 2022
It is a new problem. DOCP was on since day one. Never overheated. I noticed this about 2 weeks ago during stress test that temps go extremely high. before max 80 degrees during gaming now hitting 90 sometimes.

Jan 21, 2022
Can damage be done by gaming and automatic virus scan at background? I mean, I recently noticed that antivirus software using quite a bit of cpu sometimes and it was background system scan that I wasnt aware of, I just noticed that fans spins for no reason and I've checked processes and them yeah 12% of CPU use without any notification of system scan etc. Combined together could potentially damage the CPU or AIO?

Can damage be done by gaming and automatic virus scan at background? I mean, I recently noticed that antivirus software using quite a bit of cpu sometimes and it was background system scan that I wasnt aware of, I just noticed that fans spins for no reason and I've checked processes and them yeah 12% of CPU use without any notification of system scan etc. Combined together could potentially damage the CPU or AIO?
No it cannot cause damage, just extra work for the cpu.

It is a new problem. DOCP was on since day one. Never overheated. I noticed this about 2 weeks ago during stress test that temps go extremely high. before max 80 degrees during gaming now hitting 90 sometimes.
Did you check the AIO mounting per that video I linked? A problem may not present straight away. For example if the problem was air in the pump it may have taken continued use for all air in the system to work it’s way to the pump.

Jan 21, 2022
Right, so lets say I'm playing game right now. Underclocked Cpu to 1.275V, 4.5Mhz. temp go to 82 degrees. During gaming automatic virus scan turns on and adding 12% of CPU usage on top which means that temperatures will rise too, am I right? It could actually go to around 100 degrees or above while both gaming and scan was active, am I right?

Yes, I just checked the video. it looks that I have it connected properly. I mean, not at the top cuz I don't have the option to do it NZXT 511i but its positioned at the front, tubes coming from the bottom so not the perfect way but not incorrectly, no air problems should occur at the pump but not sure how it is by the cpu. I will try to upload some photos later on so you can check that out. Tubes still going up tho but I dont have any other option there. I think I will change it to fan cooler or replace the case for new one with better option to position the AIO at the top of the case. I was mainly worried that the issue is with the CPU itself due to the possibility of extreme overheat during too many stressful processes at the same time. I started to worry when during stress test temp started to rise extremely quick, few secs and over 90 degrees, now its managable when I underclock it so it never goes over 85 degrees , Automatic virus scans turned off. I will see how it performs for the next day or two and will upload photo in the meantime.

Thanks for the video and your dedicated time to help me with this issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)These Coreliquid Rs fail quite often. You're likely better off getting rid of it.

2)NZXT's H500 series isn't very friendly to 240/280mm AIOs, even though they support them. Airflow is strained in the front, and the radiator only further serves to do that.

3)Bad batches of Kryonaut are still out there. Did your package come with a certificate to verify it was a legit batch?

Jan 21, 2022
1)These Coreliquid Rs fail quite often. You're likely better off getting rid of it.

2)NZXT's H500 series isn't very friendly to 240/280mm AIOs, even though they support them. Airflow is strained in the front, and the radiator only further serves to do that.

3)Bad batches of Kryonaut are still out there. Did your package come with a certificate to verify it was a legit batch?

Thanks, I will try to change it as soon as I can. For the timebeing I will use it underclocked with safety precautions... I was only wondering if cpu didn't get damaged for some reason due to overheat. Shame, cuz I spent a lot for new parts and it looks that they aren't very much suitable. Well...

Thanks again!

Jan 21, 2022
Nay, you haven't run it like that long enough for it to be a serious issue.
I get it... I just can't figure out what might of happen that it started to overheat, it didn't before. For now the only logical explanation is that there was too many heavy processes opened in the same time and this damaged the AIO? Other than that nothing really comes to my mind. Or the AIO isn't working as officiently as it should due to airflow or something else ? Malware? but nothing comes up during scans... I honestly have no idea... If you guys have any other ideas I'll be grateful.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's a lot of threads on those Coreliquid Rs. There may has to be a QC issue with them. Even when someone has it mounted 'correctly' - as it sounds like you've done - the things still seem to fail early.
IDK if the impeller slips off the shaft...
Contaminated water in the loop, like those Enermax Liqtechs gunking up early...
Or what...
Top mounting them in PCs doesn't work well, as the pump is up there in the radiator and you want to keep air out of it.

You still haven't said if you have a legit batch of Kryonaut or not. This paste also requires you to manually spread it over the entire IHS for the best effect.

Dust? The intakes at the front and side are rather narrow, so are easier for dust to collect and reduce air intake... even I think I'm stretching that one a bit. That's more common with laptops.

Jan 21, 2022
There's a lot of threads on those Coreliquid Rs. There may has to be a QC issue with them. Even when someone has it mounted 'correctly' - as it sounds like you've done - the things still seem to fail early.
IDK if the impeller slips off the shaft...
Contaminated water in the loop, like those Enermax Liqtechs gunking up early...
Or what...
Top mounting them in PCs doesn't work well, as the pump is up there in the radiator and you want to keep air out of it.

You still haven't said if you have a legit batch of Kryonaut or not. This paste also requires you to manually spread it over the entire IHS for the best effect.

Dust? The intakes at the front and side are rather narrow, so are easier for dust to collect and reduce air intake... even I think I'm stretching that one a bit. That's more common with laptops.
Thanks for good advice. It is genuine. I just verified it on their website. I've spread it with this brush included in Kryonaut box. PC is clean inside, i'm hoovering it every week. Looks that it might be faulty AIO then? I will try to return it possibly / get different one. Any recomandations? To be honest I would like to use a very quiet aircooler rather than AIO as they seem a bit tricky.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looks that it might be faulty AIO then?
It's a combination of design con and poor QC(suspected).
With the pump located in the radiator on that model, plus top mounting, you can't avoid exposing the pump to some air, which is a no-no; the fluid keeps it cool and lubricated.
But even when they aren't top mounted, they still appear to fail early, which is were the QC is suspect.

Any recomandations? To be honest I would like to use a very quiet aircooler rather than AIO as they seem a bit tricky.
With the exception of Msi MAG and MPG, plus Kraken M22, you're not missing much between the other AIOs. Fractal recently launched their Lumen line, which has the pump in rad design like those other 3, but it's a little early to tell if they'll suffer the same problems.
Arctic has their Liquid Freezer IIs, but you have to check chassis clearance, since the rads are a fair bit thicker than the usual(38mm Vs 27-30mm).
Corsair has their iCUE Elite Capellix and NZXT has Kraken. Both of these brands require you to use their software with the cooler. Your experience with the software may vary.
Fractal Design Celsius+ Dynamic, or Prisma(for more ARGB)
Msi's MEG... they're pricey though.
be quiet! Pure Loop
Cooler Master Masterliquid R
EK AIO Basic, or the D-RGB version
.... there's a lot of options with not much separating them.

Air cooler? Pretty much get the one of the biggest you can fit in there. Max clearance for NZXT H510 is 165mm.
The ram also affects what will fit. Corsair says Vengeance RGB RT is 44.8mm tall, so fat chance of the NH-D15's front fan trying to sit over that... fortunately, that fan can be moved to the back, so not a big deal, but the rear 120mm fan might not be worth keeping there, being right behind a 140mm fan...
Options:
Scythe FUMA 2
NH-D15/Chromax Black: It's going to be a tight fit...
NH-D15S
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120/ARGB

Reactions: 3runner
Jan 21, 2022
It's a combination of design con and poor QC(suspected).
With the pump located in the radiator on that model, plus top mounting, you can't avoid exposing the pump to some air, which is a no-no; the fluid keeps it cool and lubricated.
But even when they aren't top mounted, they still appear to fail early, which is were the QC is suspect.

With the exception of Msi MAG and MPG, plus Kraken M22, you're not missing much between the other AIOs. Fractal recently launched their Lumen line, which has the pump in rad design like those other 3, but it's a little early to tell if they'll suffer the same problems.
Arctic has their Liquid Freezer IIs, but you have to check chassis clearance, since the rads are a fair bit thicker than the usual(38mm Vs 27-30mm).
Corsair has their iCUE Elite Capellix and NZXT has Kraken. Both of these brands require you to use their software with the cooler. Your experience with the software may vary.
Fractal Design Celsius+ Dynamic, or Prisma(for more ARGB)
Msi's MEG... they're pricey though.
be quiet! Pure Loop
Cooler Master Masterliquid R
EK AIO Basic, or the D-RGB version
.... there's a lot of options with not much separating them.

Air cooler? Pretty much get the one of the biggest you can fit in there. Max clearance for NZXT H510 is 165mm.
The ram also affects what will fit. Corsair says Vengeance RGB RT is 44.8mm tall, so fat chance of the NH-D15's front fan trying to sit over that... fortunately, that fan can be moved to the back, so not a big deal, but the rear 120mm fan might not be worth keeping there, being right behind a 140mm fan...
Options:
Scythe FUMA 2
NH-D15S
Appreciate! I will check them out later on online to see what would be best for this built. I'm thinking of changing the case too but I'll see how it will go. I'll keep you updated

Jan 21, 2022
Options:
Scythe FUMA 2
NH-D15S
I believe that Noctua won't fit there. Not enough space considering ram is just 2 cm away from my current setup which is quite narrow. It's getting trickier than I thought it will be...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe that Noctua won't fit there. Not enough space considering ram is just 2 cm away from my current setup which is quite narrow. It's getting trickier than I thought it will be...
There's some pictures and videos online showing the D15 fitting, but if there's the slightest manufacturing defect between the mobo, cooler, and chassis, you might not be able to close the side panel.
I agree that even with evidence, it's a little too close for my comfort, so when looking for compatible coolers, I've no qualms searching for coolers a mm shorter than what the chassis allows.

Jan 21, 2022
There's some pictures and videos online showing the D15 fitting, but if there's the slightest manufacturing defect between the mobo, cooler, and chassis, you might not be able to close the side panel.
I agree that even with evidence, it's a little too close for my comfort, so when looking for compatible coolers, I've no qualms searching for coolers a mm shorter than what the chassis allows.
D15 Chromax black I will go for or Dark Rock Pro 4. I'm watching few on ebay so not sure which one yet. I will probably buy both incase one won't fit :p The case is opened now to lower the temp and temp keep rising anyway. It's really weird as previously there was no temp jumps like now. During gaming 80c at pick for 20 - 30 min then jumps to 90c. Nevermind... I'll get the cooler and will let you know with results

Jan 21, 2022
DR Pro 4 I went for. Installed today. Barely fit but fit. No underclocking at max 84c during gaming and closed case so preety good. At least its below 90 without underclocking

Thanks for your advise!