Question CPU starts overheating as soon as I boot my PC ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 13, 2024
I just built a new custom pc and I am having cpu overheating issues, I’ve built plenty of pcs in the past and never had this problem and I can’t find a solution to it. As soon as I turn on my pc it immediately goes up to 90 degrees Celsius and will eventually shut off by itself. I have swapped my cpu cooler and motherboard and problem is still there. There is times that i get lucky and my cpu doesn’t over heat but that is after several attempts of trying to boot up my pc and that is rare. When it does happen my cpu stays at 35 degrees which is amazing but i would have to keep my pc on because as soon as i turn it off i would have to keep powering it on and off till i get lucky again.

Specs:
Motherboard: Rog Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi II
CPU: i9-14900k
GPU: RTX 4090
RAM: 64GB (4 x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance
CPU Cooler: Kraken Z73 360mm
SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 1TB
Fans: 12 lian li uni fans V2
PSU: EVGA 1000 watts G7

Oct 13, 2024
I just changed my cpu to a new one, problem is still there. I’m starting to think that maybe it’s my cpu cooler, but when trying to check that I accidentally broke one of the tubes and now I need to find a way to get a new one. How fast are cpu coolers suppose to get cold? Before accidentally breaking it I touched the cpu cooler when I turned my pc on and took forever to cool and I thought maybe that’s the problem or maybe there’s bubble stuck inside which don’t allow the water to get through

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
I just changed my cpu to a new one, problem is still there. I’m starting to think that maybe it’s my cpu cooler, but when trying to check that I accidentally broke one of the tubes and now I need to find a way to get a new one. How fast are cpu coolers suppose to get cold? Before accidentally breaking it I touched the cpu cooler when I turned my pc on and took forever to cool and I thought maybe that’s the problem or maybe there’s bubble stuck inside which don’t allow the water to get through
I thought you tried to use another cooler??? if you have t he pump working it shouldn't be heating up quick anyway

Oct 13, 2024
I’m just assuming since the cpu cooler was at 50 degrees Celsius and took forever to cool down on my own hand. But yes I’ve tried another cooler and same issue. At this point I don’t really know what it could be. I was almost 100% sure the cpu itself was faulty but after getting another one the same issue happened. Idk what it could be at this point.

Oct 13, 2024
Yes I’ve put it and tested it in all headers at this point and nothing, but yes it’s usually in the aio pump header and still nothing. Rarely it boots up and actually cools down the cpu but when I turn off my pc and try to turn it back on it keeps overheating till I get lucky again. Usually it takes a few hours for it to finally choose to cool down but it’s been days now if it constantly overheating without any luck of booting up normally. The temps start let’s say at 70 degrees then goes down to 63 then goes all the way up to 90 and never goes down

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Yes I’ve put it and tested it in all headers at this point and nothing, but yes it’s usually in the aio pump header and still nothing. Rarely it boots up and actually cools down the cpu but when I turn off my pc and try to turn it back on it keeps overheating till I get lucky again. Usually it takes a few hours for it to finally choose to cool down but it’s been days now if it constantly overheating without any luck of booting up normally. The temps start let’s say at 70 degrees then goes down to 63 then goes all the way up to 90 and never goes down
No I am not meaning did you try the ports, but to feel if the pump port is even really working and sending electricity to the pump, you should hear it working if it is

Oct 13, 2024
Oh okay I understand now, but yes, everything is working fine. I tried the cpu cooler on another of and works flawlessly. Tried a new cpu cooler on the pc that’s not working and still overheats

just changed my cpu to a new one, problem is still there
you have stated multiple times now that you've tried replacing everything;
multiple coolers, multiple motherboards, multiple CPUs, etc...

this is an impossible scenario.
you are either incorrect in your description of the problem and/or the troubleshooting that you've done.
or this is just some troll thread.
which is it?

Oct 13, 2024
I can video call you and prove it to you. I need help. If you don’t got answers to my questions or just wanna tell me I’m trolling please don’t bother replying. I’ve been having this issue for a while now and nothing seems to fix this. I’ve never experienced this in all of my years of building pcs. I’ve took my pc to technicians to diagnose it and no one seems to find a solution. All they say is get a new cpu cooler or cpu which I’ve done and nothing…

If you don’t got answers to my questions or just wanna tell me I’m trolling please don’t bother replying. I’ve been having this issue for a while now and nothing seems to fix this.
this same scenario cannot happen to different motherboards, with different CPUs, and with different coolers
all used at different intervals in different builds.
because that in effect means that it is not the same scenario.

you claim, for some reason, that you have multiple systems just sitting there with the exact same components.
but, this situation only appears in the same build repeatedly.
how is that? if you are moving these components back & forth repeatedly then they are not the same components and the same situation cannot be arising in the same build, because it is in essence not the same build anymore once you swapped out components multiple times.

unless you have one single case that is causing some sort of interference no matter which setup you put together in it, this is just an impossible situation.
I can video call you and prove it to you
how do you think you would video call someone and show them multiple builds being put together multiple times, over an over again with different components?
this would be multiple hours worth of time.