CPU still too hot with new cpu cooler...

tecmo34

Administrator

A decent cooler but not the best by far... Okay, on to more questions/comments:

1. Have you tried resetting you HSF or reapplying your thermal paste?
2. What is the ambient room temperature? Meaning if your room is 48C, then your temps are not too bad.
3. Have your verified your HSF is secured tightly to the CPU... not loose or anything (kind of goes along with the first one but can be a seperate issue)
4. What is your case? Some cases provide better air flow than others
5. Is your PC in a desk or an air with limited air flow... both of these last two questions can effect your heat. Without good air flow through the case, even the best of air coolers will heat up.

dctrlol

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
It's not the greatest, but it's got quite a few fans in it. The room isn't the coolest, by far. And it's the case that came with my pc. I haven't quite figured out how to install the power button cords, so I don't wanna do this till I get a few more things for my pc, such as a new motherboard, and new vid card that doesn't overheat constantly...

tecmo34

Administrator

Hot CPU + Hot GPU = POOR Air Flow!

It sounds like your case isn't getting goodair flow through it, which is causing your heat issues. Based on what I gather, this PC is a Dell or something along those lines... Correct? Since you sound like you are getting a few new parts, I would add a new case to that mix as well. In the interim... Take your side panel off of your PC to get better air flow, trust me it works. Also, move your PC to where it gets better air flow in your room/desk. This should/will improve your temps and let things run cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^yep. take the side panel off and blow a fan into the side. If your temps go down and it runs cooler, you have an airflow problem. If the temps stay the same, you have an overheating/hardware issue.

dctrlol

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
It's a pc I built, the case sucked from the beginning. I'll try taking the side off and getting a fan for it.

I got a new case, but with this one it's a simple plugin for the front buttons not a few small ones. I can't figure it out considering the motherboard came with the case and no manual.

Thanks, I'll let you know in a few hours.

dctrlol

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
It's dropping at a decent pace. It's down to 46... With a fan. It's still lowering too.

got it down to 44! Amazing. Keeping this fan here whenever it's on.

cykososhull

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

I'm having the same problem. I just bought a Thermaltake silent 775D in lieu of my stock hsf and the temps are still @ 58-60C with the side panel off and a house fan blowing on it. I applied AS5 and the new heatsink and still get temps like the stock hsf. I have not oc'd anything. I've tried using occt to stress test it and i have to stop after about 1 min cause it jumps to 65C. I'm using Core 0.99.5 to monitor my temps and the occt gives the same temps. I had speedfan but then used core 0.99.5 because I was told speedfan can be inaccurate. The room temp is somewhere between 75F and 80F, I also have a full size tower. When i touch the hsf it is not even hot, then below I'll touch the chipset heatsink and it is burning hot! Any help would be great.
My current temps according to Core 0.99.5 are 58,49,50,56C
My specs are:
Asus IPIBL-LB
Intel Core 2 quad Q 8200 (yorkfield 4m)
LGA 775
eVGA 9800gtx+
Seagate 750hdd
8 GB DDR2
Intel G33

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
man you should have gotten the core contact, its the best 35$ you can spend. Return the cooler if you can, most people have 30 day return policy unless your dog ate the cooler. :)