Question CPU stops working after screwing down cooler tight ?

Apr 22, 2022
Hi, I was playing on my pc a few days ago but it suddenly stopped working and my debug light on the motherboard was indicating "CPU not detected or fail".
I took my CPU out of the socket and put it back in, then I proceeded to turn on the computer (without screwing the cooler, it touching the CPU but it's not screwed in tightly).
The CPU is now being detected but as soon as I screw the cooler to the point I'm starting feeling slight resistance - the CPU is not detected.

A few months ago I had the same problems with my CPU and after changing the motherboard problems dissolved.

Do you guys think I should change my CPU and motherboard?

CPU: i7 8700k
Motherboard: msi z370a pro
Cooler: liquidfreezer2

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

When you removed the CPU and then reinstalled the CPU did you apply new/fresh thermal paste?

Why. if I understand your post correctly, are you going back and re-tightening the cooler after the CPU is being detected?

Your concept of "slight resistance" may be different (greater than) what the manual is suggesting.

Apr 22, 2022
Windows 11
2 M2 Drives
Rtx 3070 (2fans version)
3Tb Hard Drive

When my CPU is being detected I'm very delicate with it, I've also noticed that screwing either one of four screws past a certain point (not even half of the spins) crashes my pc (and displays no CPU).
About "slight resistance" - I'm talking just enough that screws don't fall off, there are plenty of spins left.

Now I'm at the sweet point where my cooler doesn't fall off, thermals are ok I guess (max 80 degrees under load). But I imagine if I cough on my PC louder - it'll stop working.