Question CPU Suddenly Overheating

May 28, 2023
Hey, so back on 5/21 my PC did 3 full crash and reboots in a single day while I was playing the game Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord. I googled the problem and saw that the issue could be heat related. I decided to download Coretemp 1.18. It was then that I realized that the temp of my CPU was averaging 175 to 190 Fahrenheit or 80 to 87 Celsius. I immediately stopped playing the game and haven't played since. I continued to monitor the heat of my CPU while doing simple tasks like using MS Word or watching YouTube and noticed that when I did, the CPU temp spiked as if I was playing a game. Fast forward to early today, I took my PC apart and deep cleaned the cooling system. Including removing as much dust as possible and even oiling the fans. However, it seems to have made no difference. Now I'm reaching out here in hopes of any solutions. I'll include my PC specs below with some notes. Thanks.

Case: Raidmax Alpha RGB Gaming Case - White - White

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Cezanne 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS -- RGB, Gb LAN, USB 3.1 (4 Rear, 6 Front), Unique MSI Gaming Tools

Memory: 8 GB [8 GB x1] DDR4-2666 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory Free Upgrade to 16GB DDR4-2666 XPG D41 RGB Memory (upgraded to 32 GB a few years ago)

Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Mech 2X Overclocked Dual Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0

Case Lighting: None

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 500 Watt 80 Plus ATX Non-Modular Power Supply

Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black Primary

Storage: 120GB WD Green SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Secondary Storage: None

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Case Fans: Default Case Fan

M.2/PCI-E SSD Card: 240GB ADATA SX8200 NVMe SSD SLI

Additional Notes:

- When I upgraded my CPU and GPU, I had Microcenter install them. That was back in April.

- I had been playing Mount & Blade for around 2 weeks and experienced zero issues and the game ran smoothly on max graphics settings.

- I can also confirm that the cooler is working.

May 28, 2023
Then CPU cooler is the problem. The contact must be bad between them..
but it was running fine for almost 2 months. why would it all of a sudden be an issue? Not to mention that it was installed by a professional and then again by me and nothing has changed. I'm honestly at a loss here. I've posted this issue to multiple websites and no one has an answer. I even called Microceneter and the dude on the phone had no idea.

May 28, 2023
It also does these random spikes in temperature with no change in load. it just did one where it went from 48 to 65 with absolutely no change in load.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
but it was running fine for almost 2 months. why would it all of a sudden be an issue? Not to mention that it was installed by a professional and then again by me and nothing has changed. I'm honestly at a loss here. I've posted this issue to multiple websites and no one has an answer. I even called Microceneter and the dude on the phone had no idea.
Pump going out/trapped air, it happens, a 20 buck air cooler will cool as good as a Ibuyjunk AIO. (when the water cooler is even working correctly)

Ibuyjunk uses the cheapest crap they can have made for them. You got a decent motherboard and CPU, budget GPU but everything else was junk. If it's the same case I'm think of it has 0 airflow from the front.

I even called Microceneter and the dude on the phone had no idea.

Wasted time.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023
Pump going out/trapped air, it happens, a 20 buck air cooler will cool as good as a Ibuyjunk AIO. (when the water cooler is even working correctly)

Ibuyjunk uses the cheapest crap they can have made for them. You got a decent motherboard and CPU, budget GPU but everything else was junk. If it's the same case I'm think of it has 0 airflow from the front.

Wasted time.
The cooler does make this spurting sound when it really amps up. Would that be trapped air?

I have one of the earliest AIO coolers from 2004, which is similar in that it's completely sealed so you normally cannot top-up any coolant loss (all common hose materials are somewhat permeable to water vapor). A few years ago after it rose to 80C, I refilled it with a big syringe straight through a tube, then patched the tube with glue and a hose clamp. Back down to 63C.

It's been in use every day for 19 years, so these modern miserable excuses for AIO coolers are ridiculous

Try lifting the computer in the air and turning it in a way so any air bubble moves to the highest point and away from the CPU block, or running it flat on its side for awhile

May 28, 2023
I have one of the earliest AIO coolers from 2004, which is similar in that it's completely sealed so you normally cannot top-up any coolant loss (all common hose materials are somewhat permeable to water vapor). A few years ago after it rose to 80C, I refilled it with a big syringe straight through a tube, then patched the tube with glue and a hose clamp. Back down to 63C.

It's been in use every day for 19 years, so these modern miserable excuses for AIO coolers are ridiculous

Try lifting the computer in the air and turning it in a way so any air bubble moves to the highest point and away from the CPU block, or running it flat on its side for awhile
Yeah mines about 5 years old and has worked faithfully until last week when everything took a dive. That's what's strange to me. It just went from being totally OK to I can fry an egg on my cpu in a single day.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That ibuyjunk 120mm is OEM Apaltek, same people who make the NZXT Kraken M.22. It's a pump in rad with block on cpu design that's cheaper to manufacture than the Asatek designs, so Apaltek can toss in RGB and still be cheaper overall.

But as it stands, it's the cheapest possible aio, with the worst performance and questionable reliability. At 5 years, you are looking at EoL, end of life, and requires replacement.