[SOLVED] CPU T9600 or i5-3337U for Archicad 23?

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Dear all,

one of my friends needs to work with Archicad version 23.

I have the possibility to give to him a laptop with a processor T9600 and a laptop with a processor i5-3337U (both the laptops have 8Gb of Ram and Windows 10 x64 and 1Gb of VRAM).

* The CPU T9600 has got 2 cores and 2.8GHz of frequency (2 total threads)

* The CPU i5-3337U has got 2 cores and 1.8Ghz of frequency (4 total threads)

Which of the 2 CPUs is better to edit 3D models with Archicad 23?

Thank you

Solution
Between those two, I would really pick the i5 3337U.

Is it way better?, or is it going to even work for 3D modeling?, Im not sure.

Soo nice of you to help a friend!, so please don't take the following in the wrong way, I just don't want you to give you the easy answer and not comment the rest:

8GB of RAM is really on the edge of being decent for Windows 10.
The 1GB of vram does not meet archicad minimum system requirement (see below) it may still work though, and if the vram is for the integrated GPU (iGPU), it means the system will have in fact only 7GB to use between windows, archicard and usual background stuff.
Im not sure if an 2.5" SSD will be compatible with that particular notebook, but it may be a good way to help a bit wth...
Between those two, I would really pick the i5 3337U.

Is it way better?, or is it going to even work for 3D modeling?, Im not sure.

Soo nice of you to help a friend!, so please don't take the following in the wrong way, I just don't want you to give you the easy answer and not comment the rest:

8GB of RAM is really on the edge of being decent for Windows 10.
The 1GB of vram does not meet archicad minimum system requirement (see below) it may still work though, and if the vram is for the integrated GPU (iGPU), it means the system will have in fact only 7GB to use between windows, archicard and usual background stuff.
Im not sure if an 2.5" SSD will be compatible with that particular notebook, but it may be a good way to help a bit wth the performance. In any case it will be a good idea to test the system and archicad first with the original HDD to see how it perform.

Remember always to take the system requirements with a grain of salt, in fact take them with several grains of salt. Just because something is going to work it does not mean it will be pleasant/practical to use. I hope Im wrong on this particular software.

Archicad V23
Minimum hardware

• Processor: 64-bit processor with two cores
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Hard disk space: 5 GB or more is required for the installation
  • Display: A resolution of 1440 x 900 or higher
  • Graphics card: OpenGL 3.3 compatible graphics card with on board memory of 2 GB
Recommended
  • Processor: 64-bit processor with four or more cores
  • RAM: 16 GB or more is recommended; for complex, detailed models 32 GB or more may be required
  • Hard disk: installing Archicad on a SSD drive is recommended; 5 GB free disk space is required for the installation, 10 GB or more is required per active project
  • Display: A resolution of 1920 x 1080 or higher is recommended
  • Graphics card: Dedicated OpenGL 4.0 compatible graphics card is recommended to fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities. 2 GB+ VRAM is recommended, opt for 4 GB+ with 4K displays. You can find a list of recommended graphics cards at: http://www.graphisoft.com/videocards
Cheers!!!

Reactions: frariky
Solution
Dear all,

one of my friends needs to work with Archicad version 23.

I have the possibility to give to him a laptop with a processor T9600 and a laptop with a processor i5-3337U (both the laptops have 8Gb of Ram and Windows 10 x64 and 1Gb of VRAM).

* The CPU T9600 has got 2 cores and 2.8GHz of frequency (2 total threads)

* The CPU i5-3337U has got 2 cores and 1.8Ghz of frequency (4 total threads)

Which of the 2 CPUs is better to edit 3D models with Archicad 23?

Thank you
The i5-3337U is nearly twice as fast at everything compared to the C2D T9600. The T9600 is 12 years old by now. The ram in that T9600 laptop is going to be slow DDR2 and have a maximum of 4-8GB. The i5 laptop will have much faster DDR3 ram and a maximum of 16-32GB depending on the specs.

An issue both laptops have is not enough vram, but at least on the i5 laptop you can share system ram to meet the vram requirements. That still means it will need more than 8GB of ram, although even 16GB may not be enough.

Both laptops are terrible choices because of the graphics card limitations, but the i5 laptop is far more likely to run Archicad 23 very slowly after upgrading the ram to 16-32GB. Either look up the system specs of the laptop or post the brand and model number to find out the maximum ram.

The T9600 laptop is not an option and the i5 laptop is going to be too slow to be worth using, unless it's very small projects.

Reactions: frariky