[SOLVED] CPU temp concerning me (9900k)

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello, i recently bought x2 16gb ram sticks 3200 mhz with RGB for my PC coz i was having issues with my previous ram sticks causing me to get FPS drops and GPU bottleneck (3080) in some games.

after installing them for the first time i realized they were only 2666mhz operating as i needed to enable XMP so i restarted my PC and did it from the BIOS , then i made a test in some games like COD cold war and i was getting better FPS and nearly 96% - 100% GPU usage but what caught my attention was my CPU temps rising to like 74c 77c 80c , which i dont remeber seen that before recently not to mention also the weather here and the room temp is not at all hot in fact its still a bit cool where i live, so i wanted to know if these temps are normal in a game like that and to give more details i have a Cryorig R1 Ultimate cooler and i kinda needed to move one of the fans on the heatsink a little bit upwards to give room for the ram so i was concerned if this slight dislocation causing cooling probs + i also am worried if the XMP is the reason to CPU temp increase etc

Solution
It's not hard to find. It's in the manual, even.
Chapter 2: Bios Setup.

Bios > M.I.T. tab > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced Cpu Core Settings. Bam! AVX Offset is right there. Enter/select 3, save and exit.

i was wondering i actually never thought i would need to change this cooler anytime soon
You don't need to, but you do need to make some compromises to make it work though:
-AVX offset. Try 3 for now.
-Fix your fan setup, as the top fans aren't helping the R1 here.
-May as well do a small cpu Vcore offset while you're at it. Bios > M.I.T. tab > Advanced Voltage Settings > Cpu Core Voltage Control. Do Offset Mode, followed by an offset of -0.01. Save and exit.
[You can even increase the negative offset later if you...

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
I see , but when i enabled the XMP it was for the DDR4 aka for the rams only , i didnt come close to any CPU related thing as i remeber , XMP for ram increases the CPU temp aswell ?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I see , but when i enabled the XMP it was for the DDR4 aka for the rams only , i didnt come close to any CPU related thing as i remeber , XMP for ram increases the CPU temp aswell ?

When OC'ing your CPU OR memory, it's best to both of them separately to see what the limit is for the specific item. Then you pretty much have to work within those to find a happy medium. It's very rare that you can get both max CPU OC and max XMP perf without meeting thermal or voltage limits.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
well anyways these temps , are normal with a Cryorig R1 Ultimate ? , from my knowledge a tower air cooler like this operates nearly as a 280mm AIO or even 360mm to some extent with a diff of 2 - 3 c .... and a friend of mine using AIO with my same setup and he is getting like 10 - 15 less C than me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
a friend of mine using AIO with my same setup
So you both have:
-a 9900K. Said 9900K is running at the same settings: overclocked/not overclocked, high performance/balanced power plans, etc.
-RTX 3080. Same settings between both, like above?
-the same chassis. For example, you both have a Lancool 2 Mesh.
-the same chassis fan setup
-the same room ambient and chassis ambient temp
-play at the same resolution

There's a fair bit of info missing, and it all adds up to complete the puzzle you're presenting here.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
wow, this truly complicates things up true, well froget about him ..... my full setup is :

H500M (x3 120 fans at top x1 at rear x2 200mm front)
Z390 Ultra
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
3080 Aorus Master v1 (the one with x2 8pin only)
Crucial x2 16 3200 with RGB
Seasonic focus plus 850w gold

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I don't see how you can get anywhere with the cooler you have. Gotta have water w/ this chip, it's just too hot.

Applying XMP settings on my board will cause CPU to OC as well so yes, it will run hotter.

I have a similar system for my 9900k, though I use the Asus Maximus XI and the Corsair H100i Pro AIO cooler w/ 128GB of ram.

Your first question on temps. Sustained 85°C is fairly OK. Brief blips over that are OK. Sustained higher than 85°C always lead to a BSOD for me.

I tried to understand and follow this vid and it would not boot, slowed the Corsair ram a bit and it's good. (Ram issue is another story, known issue)
enabled extreme tweaker in bios and could get past 5.1Ghz

So I found that I could boot my machine to 5.2Ghz 0AVX on 1.325V and it would run windowz all day until I applied either a CAD rendering task or some artificial benchmark stressor. High temps & BSOD very quickly. over 90°C. FYI: Silicone Lottery is hitting their chips with 1.375! I have no idea how they keep it cool.

I backed off to 5.1 -1AVX and it was pretty stabile. Most benchmarks would run, but not all. Temps would still climb to 90°C and programs would start going awry or a BSOD after a while. Needed 1.32V to run. Still too hot.

I backed off again to 5.0 0AVX and it runs with only 1.25V. Max temps now are around 70°C. Totally stabile under all tasks and benchmarks w/ 0 throttling.

My conclusion here is that I have a lot of room to go faster but must have a stronger cooler and possible de-lid.

In my experience, the 9900k is one hot running processor and it needs the biggest water cooler you can find in order for it to OC beyond 5.0Ghz. Good news is that even at 5.0Ghz, it's still really fast. I'd like to get that additional 200Mhz, but $350 for a cooler and de-lid, not happening today.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
wow, this truly complicates things up true, well froget about him ..... my full setup is :

Z390 Ultra
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
3080 Aorus Master v1 (the one with x2 8pin only)
Crucial x2 16 3200 with RGB
Seasonic focus plus 850w gold
Ok, we've got more puzzle pieces, but still not there yet.

We still don't know:
-How you run your cpu: Overclocked, not overclocked, Multi Core Enhancement... Out of the box, the 9900K has a single core turbo of 5.0ghz and 4.7ghz across all cores.
-Power plans...
-What kind of thermals the gpu sees, because some of it's heat does go up and through the cpu cooler. Cpu cooler has to accommodate both cpu and gpu.
-Room temperatures.

Just so you know, the top fan setup you have is to the gpu cooler's benefit, not the cpu cooler. There's a penalty game you have to play in regards to that, and the penalty can be minor, or pretty significant(depends on the hardware).
For an air cooler like the R1 Ultimate, you shouldn't have any fans up there. The cooler's fans draw air from the front and the top on their own
Yes, it does mean that the gpu thermals will be a little higher - can't have 'em both - but if the gpu already runs fairly cool, then the tradeoff could be worth it.

If you aren't overclocking/running Multi Core Enhancement on this chip, the R1 Ultimate should be adequate here... but I feel the combination of the power hungry RTX 3080(a 370w gpu) + the top fan setup is making things harder.

Personally I wouldn't worry about an 80c load temp with a 9900k...if it was hitting 90c or more then different story.

For the cost of either upgrading your case or cpu cooler or both it's not worth it. 80c won't hurt the 9900k and better cooling isn't going to improve anything cpu performance wise unless you're overclocking.

As far as the case airflow goes the H500M is one of the better mid size cases. I would make sure the front fans are blowing in, the top and back are blowing out...it's about the best you can do besides moving into a larger case.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Ok, we've got more puzzle pieces, but still not there yet.

We still don't know:
-How you run your cpu: Overclocked, not overclocked, Multi Core Enhancement... Out of the box, the 9900K has a single core turbo of 5.0ghz and 4.7ghz across all cores.
-Power plans...
-What kind of thermals the gpu sees, because some of it's heat does go up and through the cpu cooler. Cpu cooler has to accommodate both cpu and gpu.
-Room temperatures.

Just so you know, the top fan setup you have is to the gpu cooler's benefit, not the cpu cooler. There's a penalty game you have to play in regards to that, and the penalty can be minor, or pretty significant(depends on the hardware).
For an air cooler like the R1 Ultimate, you shouldn't have any fans up there. The cooler's fans draw air from the front and the top on their own
Yes, it does mean that the gpu thermals will be a little higher - can't have 'em both - but if the gpu already runs fairly cool, then the tradeoff could be worth it.

If you aren't overclocking/running Multi Core Enhancement on this chip, the R1 Ultimate should be adequate here... but I feel the combination of the power hungry RTX 3080(a 370w gpu) + the top fan setup is making things harder.

nah i dont use any OC at all , my GPU thermals are standing at 66c and the room temp is prolly 22c or so , my latest test in COD my CPU was standing at 80c and spiking to 87c

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Yeouch. Looks like AVX hits too hard here.

Looking like you're going to need a bigger cooler, but before that, is an AVX offset being used at all? If not, I'd suggest going into bios, setting an offset of -3 and seeing if that helps.
i can try that , but can u give me steps in the Bios page plz, am so pleb with dealin with the bios and i fear i might tamper with the wrong stuff, also i was wondering i actually never thought i would need to change this cooler anytime soon :( , aint tower coolers performing like AIOs

also this change i will try in the bios will it affect the performance ?, like i will get lower fps in the game for example

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not hard to find. It's in the manual, even.
Chapter 2: Bios Setup.

Bios > M.I.T. tab > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced Cpu Core Settings. Bam! AVX Offset is right there. Enter/select 3, save and exit.

i was wondering i actually never thought i would need to change this cooler anytime soon
You don't need to, but you do need to make some compromises to make it work though:
-AVX offset. Try 3 for now.
-Fix your fan setup, as the top fans aren't helping the R1 here.
-May as well do a small cpu Vcore offset while you're at it. Bios > M.I.T. tab > Advanced Voltage Settings > Cpu Core Voltage Control. Do Offset Mode, followed by an offset of -0.01. Save and exit.
[You can even increase the negative offset later if you feel comfortable enough to do it.]
There's nothing wrong with your cooler. The 9900K is just a dumb(hot) cpu. Intel never intended to drag on their 14nm process this long, but stuff happened. The 9th gen and later cpus are 14nm at its limits.
Heck, the 10700K is basically a 9900K with more power limits enforced; remove them, and it's just as hot as the 9900K was.

tower coolers performing like AIOs
If there were a hierarchy list for these kinds of things, it could look like the following:
In descending order...
Downdraft, or top-down air
120mm hybrid [They don't seem to make 140mm hybrids anymore...]
[In situations, such as Small Form Factor, where tower air usually doesn't fit, they drop right off the list.]
Tower air
Big tower air(the really large single towers or the dual towers) = 240mm hybrid
280mm hybrid*
360mm hybrid*
420mm hybrid
Custom liquid
The reason for the *: there are some hybrid models that do not perform as well as others of their size. These perform more like the tier below them.

also this change i will try in the bios will it affect the performance ?, like i will get lower fps in the game for example
The Vcore offset won't; the motherboard provides more voltage than necessary by default. With the Vcore offset, we're telling it to back off a bit on the voltage.
The AVX offset will affect performance. How much? IDK, but it's that, or continue to see spikes over 85C in this game, which really isn't recommended.

Solution