[SOLVED] CPU Temp increasd after changing cooler

ChangeS9

Commendable
Oct 4, 2021
I recently bought an Intel i5-9600KF processor and MSI H310M pro vdh motherboard.

My Intel stock cooler usually had below 80°c temperature but the PC kept restarting suddenly, and I also got current edp limit and thermal throttling on Intel XTU benchmarks.
So I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 410R cpu cooler. It further increased the temps to further 91° c. I tried to change thermal paste twice but it did not change anything. Still have no idea as to why I'm getting so high temp. Although I don't get EDP Limit and Thermal throttling with this cooler but the temps have increased and PC already restarted suddenly.

Solution
you didn't mention your PSU, the 410R only moves 34CFM so it might not be able to keep up at max throttle.
but it could also be a PSU issue or VRMs on the motherboard as well. typically CPU temp would cause a blue screen or throttling
Hey there,

Well, you should have improved performance over stock cooler.

What thermal paste are you using? Did it come with the new cooler? Make sure to use the pea method, and place a pea sized blob in center of the chip. When replacing the cooler back, tighten the screws in a criss-cross fashion, so going from one diagonal to the other.

Also, check you have used the right mounting bracket for your socket.

ChangeS9

Commendable
Oct 4, 2021
I have tried two different thermal paste. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Cooler Master Pro that came with the cooler. But I'll check the screws tomorrow and let you know.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?

A hyper410r only has 4 heat pipes and the same 92mm fan as your stock intel cooler.
You should not expect much.

If your case has an adequate front air intake capability, and 160mm height available look for a good cooler with a 120mm fan.

Reactions: Phaaze88

ChangeS9

Commendable
Oct 4, 2021
you didn't mention your PSU, the 410R only moves 34CFM so it might not be able to keep up at max throttle.
but it could also be a PSU issue or VRMs on the motherboard as well. typically CPU temp would cause a blue screen or throttling
You are actually right. Its a 550w PSU bought in 2018. It actually gave up. Even under 70 degrees my pc shuts down and restarts. The motherboard, processor and cooler (I replaced the oldies) are all new. It's the PSU causing this. Also, I don't get any kind of throttling on Intel XTU benchmarks with the new cooler. The temp at max reaches 83-87 degrees so PSU is the trouble maker.

Last edited:
glad it helped, guess you can mark this one solved
You are actually right. Its a 550w PSU bought in 2018. It actually gave up. Even under 70 degrees my pc shuts down and restarts. The motherboard, processor and cooler (I replaced the oldies) are all new. It's the PSU causing this. Also, I don't get any kind of throttling on Intel XTU benchmarks with the new cooler. The temp at max reaches 83-87 degrees so PSU is the trouble maker.

Last edited by a moderator: