Cpu temp is wayy to much and need advice.

d.sichinava

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Hello,
I got 1080 ti and i7 4770k with 750 corsair psu.

Gpu temp is perfect hardly hits 70, but cpu suffer with it. It reaches 100 temp while gaming. I found out thats its really bad and also i found out that it has been like this for 1 yr already( never was interested with temps).

Atm iam short on money and cant affort new coller :(
Also i want to preserve my cpu.
So my question is:
My cpu works on max mhz. Can i somehow reduce it to lower the temp?
And if its possible will it ruin gpu? Because bottleneck is 14% and with lowering cpu mhz can it increase rate of bottleneck?

Dec 6, 2018
Try lowering the voltage supplied to your CPU this can just be done in Windows in 30sec. Check fans or vents for dust. Use smoke to see airflow. add fans or many try and invest in a new cooler

Dec 6, 2018
For me when I changed the power supplied to it it made my fps move down ever so slightly my it did improve my temps not as much as I should have liked but still a good amount.
GPU is not effected however ur fps will drop about
Don't move it down to much tho.

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Question - You've only found out about your CPU temperature by accident? Are you saying nothing bad was happening - no stuttering - no crashing - no running really really slow - in fact you think it was like this for a year without realising how high the temps were.

If that's the case - there is a possibility that everything is fine and your temperature reading is false. How are you measuring the temperature? Can you confirm the temperatures using a different bit of software. It will be a lot easier to do a few cross-checks doing measuring than pulling your PC to pieces first. Consider using utilities that come with the motherboard - the CPU reading is Hardware Monitor or MSI Afterburner.

d.sichinava

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019

iam about to buy theta 31 pwm deapcool. this cooler will it be good?