Question CPU temp jumping up and down

Mar 19, 2020
My CPU was about 70 degrees on idle and for seemingly no reason it just dove down to a for me record low temp of 31 degrees with no change in CPU usage or fan speed. This phenomenon happened multiple times lately ever since I reapplied thermal paste 2 days ago. Anyone knows what's up?

Mobo: B450M Pro4
CPU: 1600 AF stock cooler

Last edited:
My CPU was about 70 degrees on idle and for seemingly no reason it just dove down to a for me record low temp of 31 degrees with no change in CPU usage or fan speed. This phenomenon happened multiple times lately ever since I reapplied thermal paste 2 days ago. Anyone knows what's up?
System spec, especially CPU, motherboard and cooler brand/model will help.

Some CPU's will spike temperature when boosting to process light loads, that can make it appear temp is bad even though it's normal operation.

But you said this started after reapplying paste. Some things to check: did you reconnect cooler fan(s)? is the cooler evenly tightened on top of the CPU? did you orient the cooler correctly? did you dislodge any other fan connectors?

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Mar 19, 2020
System spec, especially CPU, motherboard and cooler brand/model will help.

Some CPU's will spike temperature when boosting to process light loads, that can make it appear temp is bad even though it's normal operation.

But you said this started after reapplying paste. Some things to check: did you reconnect cooler fan(s)? is the cooler evenly tightened on top of the CPU? did you orient the cooler correctly? did you dislodge any other fan connectors?

• CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF
  • Stock cooler
  • Mobo: B450M Pro4

The cooler is connected and screwed in all the way.