[SOLVED] CPU Temp Problems

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Hi there,

I've been having problems with my CPU temperatures for months. I've posted on almost every forum possible, done nearly everything I can from bios, rotating fans, reapplying thermal paste, cleaning CPU cooler heatsink, remounting it etc.

Every component in my PC is running great, temperatures are fine, however the second a game boots (in this case Minecraft) my CPU reaches a temperature of 75 degrees. It should not be reaching this for Minecraft, right? In other games it's even worse, to the point where I just don't play anything on it anymore and I just do my university essays on it. Even on idle it is sitting at 48 degrees.

It's getting to the point now where I just choose not to use my computer anymore now that I'm on break because I can't stand the thought of possibly frying it.

Does anyone have any tips, advice or methods to try and fix this?

I have a Cryorig H7 cooler and my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X.

Thanks,
Checott

Solution
I'll give CMOS a go.

Tried the stock cooler, temps got slightly worse. So clearly it's doing something but there wasn't much of a difference.

I've reapplied the paste a few times, different methods each time, nothing changed. Temps just seemed to stay the same or get worse with each application.

Yeah I noticed the change in temps when first launching, however it usually doesn't decrease by much. The idle temp concerns me enough so you can see my worries when playing a game as well.

Idle is fine at 48. Unless you're talking about minimum recorded temps on long idle, with ambient of under 30. If you are, then it does seem a bit warm, although nothing alarming. Ryzens do "idle" hot relatively to older Intel chips that we...

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
Try resetting CMOS, might have unknowingly increased voltage (unlikely but I guess its worth a shot)

You could also try using the stock cooler to see if that improves temps. Could be a bad cooler.

How much thermal paste are you applying? There is 100% a thing such as too little, maybe try using another method.

I know CPU temps will jump up a lot when first launching a game and then they usually go back down although 50c idle is pretty hot.

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Try resetting CMOS, might have unknowingly increased voltage (unlikely but I guess its worth a shot)

You could also try using the stock cooler to see if that improves temps. Could be a bad cooler.

How much thermal paste are you applying? There is 100% a thing such as too little, maybe try using another method.

I know CPU temps will jump up a lot when first launching a game and then they usually go back down although 50c idle is pretty hot.
I'll give CMOS a go.

Tried the stock cooler, temps got slightly worse. So clearly it's doing something but there wasn't much of a difference.

I've reapplied the paste a few times, different methods each time, nothing changed. Temps just seemed to stay the same or get worse with each application.

Yeah I noticed the change in temps when first launching, however it usually doesn't decrease by much. The idle temp concerns me enough so you can see my worries when playing a game as well.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I'll give CMOS a go.

Idle is fine at 48. Unless you're talking about minimum recorded temps on long idle, with ambient of under 30. If you are, then it does seem a bit warm, although nothing alarming. Ryzens do "idle" hot relatively to older Intel chips that we probably grew accustomed to.

That said, I have no clue about what kind of temps is to be expected out of Minecraft. I'd say it's a light load but not sure if the large open world puts heavy load on CPU.

Do you have a synthetic benchmark software like Cinebench, or stress test like Prime95/OCCT? You can run one of those and see if the temps spike up quickly and not stabilizing within seconds. If it does that, it usually means poor mounting pressure.

Or do it the layman way; run Minecraft or any game, then monitor temps and see if you can push the cooler towards the CPU. Should temps drop immediately (that can't be attributed to normal temps you usually see), then it's a bad mount.

If you could provide pictures of how the thermal paste looks like under the cooler after being mounted, we can see whether the mounting pressure is good or not --a good mount should result in thermal paste being squished and spread thinly. What case are you using and how's the airflow?

Side note: applying paste to Ryzens is best done with the X method. AMD suggested it, and I've verified it myself that compared to spreading manually and the pea method, I see 2-3 degrees improvement. All tested with new paste from a single syringe, back to back.

Solution

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
Your temps seem fine, but if you're worried, set all the fans to run 100% all the time and that should keep it cooler.

I wouldn't do this depending on your fans, some fans are VERY loud at 100%, to the point where you cant really tune it out. Setting a fan curve that will gradually increase the fan speed is usually always a much better option in my experience (Fans might last a bit longer since not always running at max speed, not as loud, same performance etc...)

Also minecraft is very unoptimized so although it may seem easy to run its not really a good benchmarking tool due to its lack of optimization/inconsistencies.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I wouldn't do this depending on your fans, some fans are VERY loud at 100%, to the point where you cant really tune it out. Setting a fan curve that will gradually increase the fan speed is usually always a much better option in my experience (Fans might last a bit longer since not always running at max speed, not as loud, same performance etc...)

Also minecraft is very unoptimized so although it may seem easy to run its not really a good benchmarking tool due to its lack of optimization/inconsistencies.

Yup, and it's a crutch than anything else. There could be a problem somewhere else that's unaddressed.

I'd imagine Minecraft to be a poor benchmark, but then again I've never seen temps even reach 70°C in games ranging from Civ V to AC Odyssey, even with an entry level 120mm tower.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
What is the ambient temperature?
He said his idle temp is 48c, I believe thats the same as ambient temperature right?

48c idle seems high but the 3600 is fine below 80c (personally I wouldnt like to go above 80c however it could stay at 85c under load with no issues), your fan curve might just be set-up weird or you could have a lot of back-ground applications so i'd take a look.

Also when did you measure the idle temp? Was it right after running a benchmark or did you just let windows sit for ~5 minutes then check. Something like a game download could of messed with the cpu load.

He said his idle temp is 48c, I believe thats the same as ambient temperature right?

48c idle seems high but the 3600 is fine below 80c (personally I wouldnt like to go above 80c however it could stay at 85c under load with no issues), your fan curve might just be set-up weird or you could have a lot of back-ground applications so i'd take a look.

Also when did you measure the idle temp? Was it right after running a benchmark or did you just let windows sit for ~5 minutes then check. Something like a game download could of messed with the cpu load.
What is the temperature of the air in the room the computer is in?

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019

My thoughts exactly, I'm really not comfortable letting it rise about 80 because I've had heating problems in the past and am not financially able to just go out and replace something if it fries or breaks itself. I had let it sit for awhile with all programs closed, wasn't downloading anything. Nothing was on my screen, no programs opened (from what I could see). How do I check background applications?

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Yup, and it's a crutch than anything else. There could be a problem somewhere else that's unaddressed.

I'd imagine Minecraft to be a poor benchmark, but then again I've never seen temps even reach 70°C in games ranging from Civ V to AC Odyssey, even with an entry level 120mm tower.
Yeah I'm pretty confused by it all. The temperature in my room is 18 degrees approximately, GPU and other components running at 19 degrees and then bam the CPU is sitting on 46.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Yeah I'm pretty confused by it all. The temperature in my room is 18 degrees approximately, GPU and other components running at 19 degrees and then bam the CPU is sitting on 46.

What's the case you're currently using now? Could be needing some work in airflow department.

Bad batch of thermal paste? Have you checked whether the H7 is mounted on tight?

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
What's the case you're currently using now? Could be needing some work in airflow department.

Bad batch of thermal paste? Have you checked whether the H7 is mounted on tight?
I'm using a Phanteks Eclipse P400A case.
Not sure about thermal paste, getting it replaced next week. I've checked the H7, tried a method but no changes unfortunately.

Hi there,

I've been having problems with my CPU temperatures for months. I've posted on almost every forum possible, done nearly everything I can from bios, rotating fans, reapplying thermal paste, cleaning CPU cooler heatsink, remounting it etc.

Every component in my PC is running great, temperatures are fine, however the second a game boots (in this case Minecraft) my CPU reaches a temperature of 75 degrees. It should not be reaching this for Minecraft, right? In other games it's even worse, to the point where I just don't play anything on it anymore and I just do my university essays on it. Even on idle it is sitting at 48 degrees.

It's getting to the point now where I just choose not to use my computer anymore now that I'm on break because I can't stand the thought of possibly frying it.

Does anyone have any tips, advice or methods to try and fix this?

I have a Cryorig H7 cooler and my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X.

Thanks,
Checott
Ryzen 3000 CPU's are specc'd with a Tjmax of 95C, so any temp under that is safe for it. But that said it's best performance is under 80C so 75C is a perfectly good temp for it and to be expected in a moderately heavy processing workload. You're perfectly safe as you are, there is no reason to fear 'frying' your CPU or system.

But the question I have is whether just playing Minecraft is that heavy of a workload for CPU's as most games really aren't. Still, it's not clear if that's a sustained 75C or just some temp spikes up to 75C as Ryzen will spike temps as it boosts (which it does a lot in games) and that's perfectly normal too.

Knowing what you are using to report out temps helps too as many tools aren't accurate. I'd suggest using HWinfo64 and look at the CPU Die (average) reading.

In short: I think your system is probably working just fine and perfectly normal and you're just unsure of what you're seeing.

Last edited: