Question CPU temp reaching 90°c while gaming ?

Mar 13, 2023
So I'm pretty new to computers and recently I replaced my overclocked i5 6600 CPU with a i7 6700 (I ordered a cooler aswell at the request of someone I know but I don't remember what it was) however I got impatient and tried to upgrade my pc without the new cooler, obviously- the temps are way higher than I'm used to and Idle around 35-42°c with temps reaching 65-90°c but usually hovering around 90°c most of the time. I'm just wondering if I should leave it for now till the new cooler comes in if ever- (which should've been here by now) or revert everything back to how I had it before. The i7 makes my games feel so much smoother and lacks most of the minor freezing that happens sometimes, but the high temps worry me. My pc is currently:

Cpu: i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Motherboard: Z170-A
CpuCooler: Arctic Freezer Pro7
Ram: G.SKILL F4-2400C15D-8GVR Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x8GB)

(Not sure if that's all that's needed) But yeah, Just wondering if these temps are- too hot? warmish? or even dangerous for the pc for prolonged gaming? I have a lot of time on my hands and tend to play all day sometimes, I don't wanna damage anything, I've also never used this site before so sorry if something is wrong with this post or if people get peeved cause it was asked before- But I would just like to know more if anyone can help, I feel like I've tried everything to cool it down- except opening the window to let in the winter air lol

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
T case on that CPU is 71C.

IMO, get a proper cooler on it and/or consider your case airflow.

As a test, drop the side panel and see if temps come down. If they do you need a new case or more fans. If it doesn't, get or install a better cooler.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
T case on that CPU is 71C.

IMO, get a proper cooler on it and/or consider your case airflow.

As a test, drop the side panel and see if temps come down. If they do you need a new case or more fans. If it doesn't, get or install a better cooler.

Hi punkncat,

Respectfully, I'm wondering where you found 71°C, because on Intel's Product Specifications website as well as in their Datasheets it shows 64°C. Either way it's irelevent, as I will explain:

Just FYI, and for everyone's benefit, back in the day of the original Pentiums, before Intel started putting Core temperature sensors in their CPUs for Throttle protection, since before the Core 2 processors of 2006, Intel used the Tcase Thermal Specification, then continued to do so up through Core i 6th Generation. For 7th Generation and later, Intel changed the Thermal Specification from Tcase to Tjunction.

I'm sure, probably like yourself, that most users see Tcase on Intel's Product Specifications website.

Tcase has always been a highly misleading and confusing specification ... here's why:

Taken at face value, users don't know what Tcase actually means, and therefore assume that Tcase is Core temperature ... it is NOT.

Tcase is IHS temperature which is a factory-only thermal measurement that users can't monitor.

Tcase is measured in Intel's Labs using CPU Engineering Samples where a groove is cut into the surface of the IHS and a tiny Thermocouple sensor is imbedded in the center, which is then connected to highly accurate test equipment. The stock cooler is mounted and a steady-state 100% TDP workload is applied for thermal testing. Retail CPUs do not have a Thermocouple sensor, which is why it's not possible for users to monitor Tcase, and is why there's no software utilities to measure it, and is why for retail CPUs, Core temperature is the standard for thermal measurement.

Keep in mind that Intel Desktop processors have TWO Thermal Specifications, Tcase AND Tjunction, BOTH of which are shown in the Datasheets, while the Product Specifications website only shows Tcase for 6th Geneation and earlier, OR only Tjunction for 7th Generation and later.

Intel's intended purpose for providing Tcase specifications is primarily for developers of aftermarket cooling solutions. Moreover, consider that Mobile (laptop) processors don’t have an IHS. Since the cooler is instead mounted directly on the Die, this is why they don’t have Tcase specifications; only Tjunction.

Here's a perfect comparison between Desktop CPUs; the 6th Generation 6700K and the 7th Generation 7700K share the same Design with identical Tcase and Tjunction specifications shown in the Datasheets, but the processor's Generation determines which of the two Thermal Specifications is shown on the website. Both the 6700K and the 7700K have Tjunction specifications ("Maximum Junction" temperature or "Tj Max" or "Throttle" temperature) of 100°C. Intel’s move away from using Tcase on their website synchronizes Desktop and Mobile Thermal Specifications.

From Core 2 processors in 2006 to today's Core i processors, the limiting Thermal Specification has always been Tjunction; not Tcase. Tcase is not a thermal limit, but is instead a thermal value based on processor TDP and stock cooler TDP. If the stock cooler is replaced with a higher TDP aftermarket cooler, then ALL processor temperatures, including Core temperature and IHS temperature (which is Tcase) will decrease, but the Tjunction specification (which is Throttle temperature) will always be 100°C. So for end users, this means Tcase is irrelevant.

Please click on the link below in my signature and check out Sections 1, 3 & 7 in my Guide for more information on Tcase.

... recently I replaced my overclocked i5 6600K CPU with a i7 6700K (I ordered a cooler aswell ... but I don't remember what it was) ... temps are way higher ... reaching 65-90°c ... The i7 makes my games feel so much smoother and lacks most of the minor freezing that happens sometimes, but the high temps worry me. My pc is currently:

Cpu: i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Motherboard: Z170-A
CpuCooler: Arctic Freezer Pro7
Ram: G.SKILL F4-2400C15D-8GVR Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x8GB)

... Just wondering if these temps are- too hot? ... for prolonged gaming? ...

CallMeBlip,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

As punkncat has observed, your CPU requires a better cooler.

The 3 pipe 92mm fan class Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is inadequate for the i7-6700K, which runs hotter than your 6600K due to the fact that it operates at 4.2 GHz instead of 3.9 GHz and has Hyper-Threading, both of which increases Power consumption (Watts) and therefore drives Core temperatures up. As I mentioned above, although Throttle temperature is indeed 100°C, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended, since some processors of early 14 nanometer microarchitecture may become unstable at higher Core temperatures. You're OK for now, but upgrading your cooler is a wise move.

Enjoy your rig, and once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hi punkncat,

Respectfully, I'm wondering where you found 71°C, because on Intel's Product Specifications website as well as in their Datasheets it shows 64°C. Either way it's irelevent, as I will explain:

You are correct, I accidentally pulled that information from the non K skew. It rather surprises me that the "higher performing" CPU has a lower rating.

In regard to the actual relevance of T Case/Junction, it is much like "TDP" in relation to the accuracy of the number as it relates mostly to make believe rating. Noctua has an interesting read about this in a similar vein based on the way they choose to rate their coolers.

Thanks for pointing that out.