Question CPU temp rises to 100°C and PC restarts ?

Mar 29, 2024
For the past few years, whenever I'd run a game that's a bit on the heavy side, my computer would randomly shut down and restart itself.
I've started playing Baldur's Gate lately and whenever I'd open the game, the temperature of the CPU would go up without stopping unless I close the game.

I've tried:
- replacing thermal paste
- lowering settings
- troubleshooting in event viewer (not sure what I was doing)
- scanning for malware
- updating drivers

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B360M-K Rev X.0x

Mar 29, 2024
what the cpu temp? cpu cooler?
It reaches 90 degrees Celsius, not sure about the model but I have two fans. They have been making noises lately, as if spinning slowly but making a sound every second or two. Tried to fix the positioning of the fans but it didn't change anything

Mar 29, 2024
Post a picture, or at least a better description.
If your cooler has two fans, do they spin?
If they do, replacing the fans will do nothing.
Hope the picture link works. The fans are working, although they make weird sounds pretty often.
Even though the fans are working, the temperature doesn't stop rising. it's a steady climb until the computer crashes.
<Bad file link redacted by Moderator>

USAFRet

Titan
Hope the picture link works. The fans are working, although they make weird sounds pretty often.
Even though the fans are working, the temperature doesn't stop rising. it's a steady climb until the computer crashes.
No, that pic does not work.

That is literally a file on your PC, which we do not have access to.

Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
Post a picture, or at least a better description.
If your cooler has two fans, do they spin?
If they do, replacing the fans will do nothing.
It depends on how well they spin, and whether they intermittently stop spinning. Personal experience with a 10 year old laptop. Normally it's in the 40s, but was bogging down and shutting down in the upper 90s about once a month until I replaced the fan.

(Case looks clean so this doesn't apply here, just general info.) I'd also clean out any dust in the case and the airflow grillings/filters. An android emulator caused overheating years back until I vacuumed out the grills.

Reactions: Hippybbx
Well if that system was new in 2017 and didn't start rebooting until 2021-ish, then it just means the cooler should've been replaced back then, 2-3 years ago. It's not like it needs that much cooling because it's only a 65w CPU, but it does need more than none.

Water cooling would be overkill and the pump is more likely to fail than a heatpipe simply because it has moving parts.

Mar 29, 2024
It depends on how well they spin, and whether they intermittently stop spinning. Personal experience with a 10 year old laptop. Normally it's in the 40s, but was bogging down and shutting down in the upper 90s about once a month until I replaced the fan.

(Case looks clean so this doesn't apply here, just general info.) I'd also clean out any dust in the case and the airflow grillings/filters. An android emulator caused overheating years back until I vacuumed out the grills.
Will keep that in mind, thanks for the reply.

Mar 29, 2024
Well if that system was new in 2017 and didn't start rebooting until 2021-ish, then it just means the cooler should've been replaced back then, 2-3 years ago. It's not like it needs that much cooling because it's only a 65w CPU, but it does need more than none.

Water cooling would be overkill and the pump is more likely to fail than a heatpipe simply because it has moving parts.
Gotcha, I'll just go with a more dated cooler then. Thanks dor replying.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
Back in the day when I had a desktop I used to have to occasionally oil the fan to keep it running well. Is this still a thing with desktop fans? OP's mentioning of them making noise makes me think it still is.

Back then I'd oil it by peeling back the decal, removing the plug on the center axis point, and letting a drop or two of an appropriate oil (rollerblade bearing oil or swiss army knife oil) into the axial hole, spinning it a bit to get the oil distributed, and then replugging and replacing the decal.

Oh yes, oiling fans is still a thing for sleeve and ball-bearing fans. However the fan on the Cooler Master Blizzard T2 uses a rifle-bearing, which is another name for fluid-dynamic-bearing. These are essentially grooved sloppy-fit sleeve bearings in an oil bath arranged so when they spin a wedge of oil hydrodynamically floats the axle so there is zero wear--the lifespan of these is determined by how good the seals are to prevent the oil leaking out. And if there is noise then the oil is gone as there's metal-to-metal contact. But if you break a seal to oil them, how would you seal it back up? Grease may work for a little while, but the large clearances would make this far worse than a sleeve-bearing.

Reactions: slightnitpick