[SOLVED] CPU Temp rises to 100 C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2019
Yes problem is in the title. Get this, it only rises from 35 to 100 degrees Celsius when I install my 850 EVGA supernova PSU, when I connect everything back to my 550 Corsair PSU it does not do that and boots normally. I have absolutely no idea how a power supply could be causing my CPU temps to hit 100 C. It only does this when I connect my new EVGA PSU, which I bought new from the store, you guys have got to help me the corsair PSU is loud and I wanna use the EVGA one. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would take a preliminary bench measurement of the PSU outputs using a volt meter, if you have or can borrow one. If not, I'd simply contact EVGA or the seller about a replacement. Given your situation, there is really nothing else it could be other than the power supply since you don't have the same problem with the other unit unless you are using the wrong cable somewhere OR are trying to use the cables from your Corsair unit WITH the EVGA unit, which you cannot do. The pinouts are not the same.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw
Jul 29, 2019
Can you list your full specs like this:

Case:
CPU
Motherboard:
Memory: (brand and amount)
HDD/SSD:
Cooler:
Case Fans: (Amount and how they are setup)

I have never heard of your specific issue but will check with some others as well.

Case fractal design meshify C
CPU Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard BF450-F MSI
SSD Samsung 870 500GB
Cooler Corsair H100i Pro
Case fans Noctua a12-24 , 5 total . 3 intake front, 2 exhaust top left and high back of case. Like I said. It’s something to do with the PSU, I just don’t know how it’s causing the cpu to heat up to 100C

Jul 29, 2019
Case fractal design meshify C
CPU Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard BF450-F MSI
SSD Samsung 870 500GB
Cooler Corsair H100i Pro
Case fans Noctua a12-24 , 5 total . 3 intake front, 2 exhaust top left and high back of case. Like I said. It’s something to do with the PSU, I just don’t know how it’s causing the cpu to heat up to 100C
Oh and memory is 16 GB Vengeance - From corsair

I would take a preliminary bench measurement of the PSU outputs using a volt meter, if you have or can borrow one. If not, I'd simply contact EVGA or the seller about a replacement. Given your situation, there is really nothing else it could be other than the power supply since you don't have the same problem with the other unit unless you are using the wrong cable somewhere OR are trying to use the cables from your Corsair unit WITH the EVGA unit, which you cannot do. The pinouts are not the same.

Last edited:
Solution

I would be surprised if the cables even fit from the corsair to the EVGA. Even if though I would expect the system to fry since most likely the voltages would be going to the wrong spots instead of just somehow upping the CPU voltage or temp.

OP, when the EVGA is connected can you open the Corsair Link software and verify the H100i pump is running?

Jul 29, 2019
I would be surprised if the cables even fit from the corsair to the EVGA. Even if though I would expect the system to fry since most likely the voltages would be going to the wrong spots instead of just somehow upping the CPU voltage or temp.

OP, when the EVGA is connected can you open the Corsair Link software and verify the H100i pump is running?
I figured it out, I was using the corsair SATA cable with the EVGA PSU. Simple is that, weeks of frustration because of one misplaced cable, even got the cooler replaced cause I thought that was the problem. Oh well, thanks for the help peeps.

Endre

Reputable
One last advise for future protection:
Install Core Temp program; there’s a setting in the “Options” tab, where you can set the PC to shut down if it hits a certain temperature. I’ve set mine at 85 Celsius degrees.

You don't need a third party program to set thermal protections. They are already built into the system at the hardware level. The stock behavior is fine, but if you want, although I don't advise it, you can lower the threshold in the BIOS for most every board made these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.