[SOLVED] CPU temp spike during loading screens and loading up games ?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
9900kf
Noctua nh-d15
Z390 aorus pro
Corsair LPX 32gb @3000
Evga 3060ti ftw
No oc and using HWinfo64 to monitor things.

When loading up games and during loading screens, my temps spike really high. I know it is normal to see temps spike during loading because it is moving information etc. However, tonight will messing around in Borderlands the Pre Sequal, my package temp almost hit 70c (It hit 68c). Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I know most will say don't worry but I see plenty of people on other forums say their temps never exceed 55-60c in games whatsoever and what not. These spikes happen in other games as well. Gears 5, recently in darksiders 3 and others.

Temps are normal during game play. I don’t see my temps exceed 55 except during loading screens. It’s just starting to freak me out.

It just doesn't seem normal for the spikes to be this high. Thank you for your time.

Solution
When you play games, the only thing the cpu is doing is worrying about the game. Any services and processes needed are already started and running, for all intents and purposes the pc is coasting on cruise control. Boot and loading is way different. Cpu has to find all the services and processes it's going to need, initiate them, initiate game start and load etc. That's not cruise control, that's foot on the floor after a stop sign.

Temps are going to spike. The more intensive the game needs, cpu needs, gpu needs, service needs, process needs, the higher the wattage output, the higher the cpu usage, the higher the spike. Even the best cpu coolers cannot stop that, they can only moderate it after it happens. The temp spike is almost...

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Well it's working hard so no. short of getting 360 mm AIO your not likely to get the Temps lower on that cpu.
I meant the 100% cpu. I know the 9900k is a beast to cool trust me.

if this is what happens to everyone then I will sleep better knowing it’s nothing wrong. I was just afraid it was happening to me when it should not have been is all.

I meant the 100% cpu. I know the 9900k is a beast to cool trust me.

if this is what happens to everyone then I will sleep better knowing it’s nothing wrong. I was just afraid it was happening to me when it should not have been is all.
I see 100% usage as good optimization. If your cpu is at 40 % the whole time the developer is not using the maximum capability of the hardware.

Hm, I suppose that is a way of looking at it during game play my cpu usage is normal. For example playing borderlands atm it’s between 20-25. I know the game isn’t demanding.
It varies a lot in games. Games like horizon zero dawn have my old cpu 100 percent the whole time and games like 2k21 only puts me at 15%. In the latter the cpu is a clear bottleneck in my case. Playing at 4k, puts all the stress at the gpu and almost none on the cpu. Objectively, those are the only benchmarks that matter to me for gpus.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
It varies a lot in games. Games like horizon zero dawn have my old cpu 100 percent the whole time and games like 2k21 only puts me at 15%. In the latter the cpu is a clear bottleneck in my case. Playing at 4k, puts all the stress at the gpu and almost none on the cpu. Objectively, those are the only benchmarks that matter to me for gpus.
Yea I understand. Just don’t know how to tell myself everything will be alright heh.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you play games, the only thing the cpu is doing is worrying about the game. Any services and processes needed are already started and running, for all intents and purposes the pc is coasting on cruise control. Boot and loading is way different. Cpu has to find all the services and processes it's going to need, initiate them, initiate game start and load etc. That's not cruise control, that's foot on the floor after a stop sign.

Temps are going to spike. The more intensive the game needs, cpu needs, gpu needs, service needs, process needs, the higher the wattage output, the higher the cpu usage, the higher the spike. Even the best cpu coolers cannot stop that, they can only moderate it after it happens. The temp spike is almost instant whereas it takes a second or more for that spike temp to soak through the IHS, the paste, the cold plate, heat up the liquid in the cooler heat pipes, travel up the pipes and out into the finstack for dissipation.

Your temps are plenty good, spikes included. If they weren't then you'd see some thermal throttle conditions. 👍

Solution

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

Temps are going to spike. The more intensive the game needs, cpu needs, gpu needs, service needs, process needs, the higher the wattage output, the higher the cpu usage, the higher the spike. Even the best cpu coolers cannot stop that, they can only moderate it after it happens. The temp spike is almost instant whereas it takes a second or more for that spike temp to soak through the IHS, the paste, the cold plate, heat up the liquid in the cooler heat pipes, travel up the pipes and out into the finstack for dissipation.

Your temps are plenty good, spikes included. If they weren't then you'd see some thermal throttle conditions. 👍
Tyvm for the explanation. I’m just glad to know this is normal behavior and my temps (although make me cringe admittedly) aren’t anything to worry about here at this time.
Thank you both.