[SOLVED] Cpu temp

Jul 21, 2021
So my cpu temp has always been fine it would be at 40c to the low 50c when browsing around and my GPU would be in the 20c -30c. When playing my GPU would be at 60c and my cpu at 70c and everything was going well until I was playing world War z and saw my cpu in the 80c so I quit the game waited for it to cool down and I thought nothing of it. But after that any time I would startup my pc it would be in the 80c then increase to 90c so I decided to wait until it cooled down now my idle is in the high 60c to 70c and when playing my GPU was the same temp but my cpu went to the mid/high 70c so I replaced the thermal paste didn't work pls help

Cpu: ryzen 7 3800x
Gpu: 1660 super
Cpu Cooler: enermax liqmax III argb 240mm
Ram: 32gb
Psu: 650w 80 gold
1 terabyte ssd

Solution
So my cpu temp has always been fine it would be at 40c to the low 50c when browsing around and my GPU would be in the 20c -30c. When playing my GPU would be at 60c and my cpu at 70c and everything was going well until I was playing world War z and saw my cpu in the 80c so I quit the game waited for it to cool down and I thought nothing of it. But after that any time I would startup my pc it would be in the 80c then increase to 90c so I decided to wait until it cooled down now my idle is in the high 60c to 70c and when playing my GPU was the same temp but my cpu went to the mid/high 70c so I replaced the thermal paste didn't work pls help

Psu...

Psu: 650w 80 gold
1 terabyte ssd
What you saw right after the initial overheating, where it went from 80's to 90's right away, is normal as the bad thing about liquid cooling is it takes time for the liquid to loose it's heat load once it's saturated.

So, the thing is your temps aren't really all that bad except that it's a sudden change from what you were seeing before. Check that all fans are working and the pump is working at full RPM and recheck the pump block is tightened evenly.

How old is your Liqmax cooler? I know GamersNexus has had problems with several of his Liqmax systems where it would loose cooling effectiveness suddenly. He opened them up and found biologics growing inside because they apparently didn't use proper bactericides to prevent growth. If you ARE getting growth, a small chunk of it could have come loose from wherever and is now blocking some of the microfins in the water block.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 21, 2021
What you saw right after the initial overheating, where it went from 80's to 90's right away, is normal as the bad thing about liquid cooling is it takes time for the liquid to loose it's heat load once it's saturated.

So, the thing is your temps aren't really all that bad except that it's a sudden change from what you were seeing before. Check that all fans are working and the pump is working at full RPM and recheck the pump block is tightened evenly.

How old is your Liqmax cooler? I know GamersNexus has had problems with several of his Liqmax systems where it would loose cooling effectiveness suddenly. He opened them up and found biologics growing inside because they apparently didn't use proper bactericides to prevent growth. If you ARE getting growth, a small chunk of it could have come loose from wherever and is now blocking some of the microfins in the water block.
Well my father had It for like a year then he gave me it for a gift so around 2 years

So you think I'm having the same problem as him and if so should I just buy another liquid cooler from a different brand or an air cooler
You might be having the same problem but I'm not saying you necessarily have to get another cooler, especially not right away. As I said, the temps you have right now (60's into 70's) isn't bad for a 3800x...some would actually consider them good in fact. But since it is a sudden change from what you were seeing it seems something's changed. I'd continue using it as you have but keep an eye on temps. If they regularly get up into the 80's and close to 90's then there's a good hint to start looking for a new cooler. Tjmax for 3800X is 95C so you're perfectly safe with temps under that.

Getting 'big air' coolers presents a whole other set of problems. Mainly with case ventilation and fans. If too few fans or not set up right or a closed front case then that big air cooler can be left sucking hot air from the GPU and does nothing. Liquid coolers are good for poorly ventilated cases or especially compact cases without room to mount a lot of fans. They're not all bad like these Liqmax seem to be; I'm using a CM LM240 for 4 years now and it's going strong.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021
You might be having the same problem but I'm not saying you necessarily have to get another cooler, especially not right away. As I said, the temps you have right now (60's into 70's) isn't bad for a 3800x...some would actually consider them good in fact. But since it is a sudden change from what you were seeing it seems something's changed. I'd continue using it as you have but keep an eye on temps. If they regularly get up into the 80's and close to 90's then there's a good hint to start looking for a new cooler. Tjmax for 3800X is 95C so you're perfectly safe with temps under that.

Getting 'big air' coolers presents a whole other set of problems. Mainly with case ventilation and fans. If too few fans or not set up right or a closed front case then that big air cooler can be left sucking hot air from the GPU and so does nothing.
Well now I can't use my pc. On startup the cpu Temps are going above the limit causing it to turn off

Well now I can't use my pc. On startup the cpu Temps are going above the limit causing it to turn off
If it's happening almost immediately then check water block mounting. The only other thing could be pump...do you monitor it's RPM's? how is the pump wired to the system? to a motherboard CPU fan header (it should be set to DC control and 100% or 12V all the time) or to a SATA power connector?

Jul 21, 2021
If it's happening almost immediately then check water block mounting. The only other thing could be pump...do you monitor it's RPM's? how is the pump wired to the system? to a motherboard CPU fan header (it should be set to DC control and 100% or 12V all the time) or to a SATA power connector?
How do I monitor the rpm? The pump is wired to a cpu fan header

How do I monitor the rpm? The pump is wired to a cpu fan header
There are monitoring programs...one is HWInfo64. You may have to figure out which sensor is the CPU fan header, or pump. You should also know the RPM rating for the pump...probably something between 2000 and 3000 RPM.

Your BIOS should also have a 'hardware monitor' section where you can set fan profiles. That's where you should go first and make sure the CPU fan header (where the pump is attached) is set for DC control and full 12V all the time.

Jul 21, 2021
There are monitoring programs...one is HWInfo64. You may have to figure out which sensor is the CPU fan header, or pump. You should also know the RPM rating for the pump...probably something between 2000 and 3000 RPM.

Your BIOS should also have a 'hardware monitor' section where you can set fan profiles. That's where you should go first and make sure the CPU fan header (where the pump is attached) is set for DC control and full 12V all the time.
I did what you recommended an my temps start at 70 then drop to 40c and slowly climb to the 60s

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
I did what you recommended an my temps start at 70 then drop to 40c and slowly climb to the 61-62 and stop there

If you mean setting pump voltage to maximum at all times then that might have been the problem. You could run a CPU stress test to see how high it gets under heavy CPU processing to see if it's cooling right. Cinebench 23, the 30 minute test, is really good for that. Watch temps, of course, and remember that it's safe up to 95C. I'd expect it not to get out of mid 80's worse case, mid 70's most likely.

Jul 21, 2021
If you mean setting pump voltage to maximum at all times then that might have been the problem. You could run a CPU stress test to see how high it gets under heavy CPU processing to see if it's cooling right. Cinebench 23, the 30 minute test, is really good for that. Watch temps, of course, and remember that it's safe up to 95C. I'd expect it not to get out of mid 80's worse case, mid 70's most likely.
I'm currently doing the test and the temps just stay at 95c

well now i'm confused...you said it stopped in the 60's. So is it climbing from the 60's to 95C? Or does it run hot before running the test?

What is your pump RPM when it's running? if the RPM is 2000 or above then the pump block mounting is wrong. If you're POSITIVE it's properly mounted then some gunk could be obstructing the microfins in the pump block.

you have your pump fan connected to the CPU header? what is the radiator fan connected to? may also want to check your bios fan curves
Ideally you want the radiator fan connected to the CPU/CPU Opt header. (that way the fan engages as temps rise) - if temps are high make sure the fun curve is not in ECO/Silent mode.
The pump can be connected to the AIO Pump header if you have one or SYS/CHA/CPU Opt header as it pretty much needs to run close to 100% make sure the pump is at 100% above 65'.

Jul 21, 2021
well now i'm confused...you said it stopped in the 60's. So is it climbing from the 60's to 95C? Or does it run hot before running the test?

What is your pump RPM when it's running? if the RPM is 2000 or above then the pump block mounting is wrong. If you're POSITIVE it's properly mounted then some gunk could be obstructing the microfins in the pump block.

Sorry that I didn't answer back. My temp stay at the 60s browsing around and in the test my temps stayed at 95 and when I finished it they kept going up and I turned it off

My rpm in hw monitor are in the 3000s.

Also my temps are still weird when I turn on my pc my temps spike to the 70s and quickly drop down to the 40s were they slowly rise to the 60s stop there and randomly go up then it starts making a weird fan noise and I shut it off before it gets too hot

Sorry that I didn't answer back. My temp stay at the 60s browsing around and in the test my temps stayed at 95 and when I finished it they kept going up and I turned it off

My rpm in hw monitor are in the 3000s.

Also my temps are still weird when I turn on my pc my temps spike to the 70s and quickly drop down to the 40s were they slowly rise to the 60s stop there and randomly go up then it starts making a weird fan noise and I shut it off before it gets too hot
It sounds like a bad AIO. A guess would be something came loose and is blocking water flow across the microfins in the water block.

IIRC, 3800X CPU's come with a decent enough cooler (Wraithe Prism) so long as you're not attempting any sort of overclocking. If you still have that, put it on your system. If temps improve you'll need another 'big cooler' if the Prism isn't adequate for you.

Jul 21, 2021
It sounds like a bad AIO. A guess would be something came loose and is blocking water flow across the microfins in the water block.

IIRC, 3800X CPU's come with a decent enough cooler (Wraithe Prism) so long as you're not attempting any sort of overclocking. If you still have that, put it on your system. If temps improve you'll need another 'big cooler' if the Prism isn't adequate for you.
Yeah I already asked my father to bring me the stock cooler. Should I try to fix the cooler

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021

I finally got a new air cooler and everything is working fine 30c on browsers and 50-55 on games. I just wanted to thank you for all your help