[SOLVED] CPU temperature & Hard crashes

luclievin

Commendable
Sep 2, 2018
So I've been having some troubles lately with hard crashes. The computer just completely shuts down while gaming, no pop-up no blue screen, just a complete shut down, as if you pulled the power plug. Happens in both Wasteland 3 and Need for Speed atm.

Now I've been doing some tests and checking and I think I found the problem, the CPU runs pretty hot. Standard temp without any stress, just typing on this forum is 74°C. When I'm gaming the highest I've seen is 106°C. Here a screenshot a minute before the crash:
View: https://imgur.com/a/pRyOrGZ
CPU
running at 102°C while playing NFS Heat.

I'm in a pretty hot room since it's just under the roof and it's been hot in Belgium lately, but still I'd like to game peacefully....

Here is my setup:

Mobo MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X WRAITH 3600 AM4 BOX
RAM: D416GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX
Gfx: Evga GTX 1080 ti FTW3
Screens: Dual 4k screens
Case: Fractal D. Define R6 TG
I've got a total of 5 fans in the case (RGB from Corsair).

Now obviously it comes to mind to replace the boxed Wraith cooler and buy a newer (better one), but I've got a few questions:

• is there any way to comfirm it's indeed the CPU temp that makes the pc shut down? normally with a crash message or blue screen you have some info to start searching, but here poef gone.
  • will replacing the cooler actually solve the issue?
  • if yes what type of cooler would be a solution?

If you need more info, I'm all ears....

Solution
At 95 degrees, Ryzen chips start thermal throttling to try and cool themselves down. I believe if they fail to acomplish this they simply power off to prevent damaging the chip itself, though I may be wrong. The fact that you're experiencing this on the wraith cooler is certainly weird. Before purchasing a new CPU cooler outright I'd:
  1. Clean out any dust buildup in any dust filters within the case and use a compressed air can to blow out any dust in the case
  2. Check case fan orientation, make sure all case fans are spinning and that your intakes and outtakes are mounted correctly
  3. Take the CPU cooler out
  4. Clean up any thermal paste left on the CPU cooler or CPU
  5. Replace the thermal paste
  6. Remount the CPU cooler.
I...
Sep 5, 2020
100°C is dangerously high, that's definitely the issue. Personally I would check for the following:

1. Open up your case and check if all fans are running. So not just the CPU cooler, but also the case fans.
  2. If all fans are running, you could try applying new thermal paste for your current cooler
A fully functional wraith cooler should definitely be able to hold your CPU in normal temperatures as long as you are not doing overclocking.

membrane

Commendable
May 26, 2018
At 95 degrees, Ryzen chips start thermal throttling to try and cool themselves down. I believe if they fail to acomplish this they simply power off to prevent damaging the chip itself, though I may be wrong. The fact that you're experiencing this on the wraith cooler is certainly weird. Before purchasing a new CPU cooler outright I'd:
  1. Clean out any dust buildup in any dust filters within the case and use a compressed air can to blow out any dust in the case
  2. Check case fan orientation, make sure all case fans are spinning and that your intakes and outtakes are mounted correctly
  3. Take the CPU cooler out
  4. Clean up any thermal paste left on the CPU cooler or CPU
  5. Replace the thermal paste
  6. Remount the CPU cooler.
I haven't heard very good things about the VRM on that motherboard though and the stock cooler failing to cool the Ryzen 7 3700X seems off to me.

Solution

luclievin

Commendable
Sep 2, 2018
Allright thank you for the info:

Yes all my fans are spinning. I've cleaned the case about 3 months ago, with a compressed air can...
I'll take a look at the cooling paste.

For the info, the room under the roof is not your standard room temperature, it's around 30° at the moment. I don't feel this should explain these tempsbut I thought I'd mention it....

Last edited:

luclievin

Commendable
Sep 2, 2018
Bought new cooling paste, refitted the cooler. Same temperatures. Got tired of the whole thing, bought a Corsair H150I Pro XT, idle temps around 40-55°, under stress 65°.

I'm a happy gamer again.

dimtodim

Reputable
So I've been having some troubles lately with hard crashes. The computer just completely shuts down while gaming, no pop-up no blue screen, just a complete shut down, as if you pulled the power plug. Happens in both Wasteland 3 and Need for Speed atm.

Now I've been doing some tests and checking and I think I found the problem, the CPU runs pretty hot. Standard temp without any stress, just typing on this forum is 74°C. When I'm gaming the highest I've seen is 106°C. Here a screenshot a minute before the crash:
View: https://imgur.com/a/pRyOrGZ
CPU
running at 102°C while playing NFS Heat.

I'm in a pretty hot room since it's just under the roof and it's been hot in Belgium lately, but still I'd like to game peacefully....

Here is my setup:

Mobo MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X WRAITH 3600 AM4 BOX
RAM: D416GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX
Gfx: Evga GTX 1080 ti FTW3
Screens: Dual 4k screens
Case: Fractal D. Define R6 TG
I've got a total of 5 fans in the case (RGB from Corsair).

Now obviously it comes to mind to replace the boxed Wraith cooler and buy a newer (better one), but I've got a few questions:

• is there any way to comfirm it's indeed the CPU temp that makes the pc shut down? normally with a crash message or blue screen you have some info to start searching, but here poef gone.
  • will replacing the cooler actually solve the issue?
  • if yes what type of cooler would be a solution?
If you need more info, I'm all ears....
hello...
what cooler u have now on pcu?when temp go to the limit pc will go off immediately reason is save cpu. u must think about cooling wha tu want...air or liquid...and u dont have good case with good air flow...

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Homie has been playing games like this, good decision on the Corsair H150
this-is-fine.0.jpg

luclievin

Commendable
Sep 2, 2018
I don't really care about the temps to be frankly. CPU at 50, CPU at 60, blah blah. I just want normalish temps to be able to game in peace.

On the upside, my PC has become alot more silent, I like it.