Question CPU temperature problem on workstation/server ?

Jul 24, 2024
PC model: HP Z640 Workstation
CPU: Xeon E5-2690 V4

Problem: BIOS and HP software read CPU temp at 128c v.s. HWmonitor reading sub 28c on all cores ?

A family member recently purchased a workstation with the intention of using it as a server, the use case is mostly providing a dedicated host for various games, but also hosting some of their own projects. This is all under done while idle with barely a web browser running. When it arrive, we flashed the bios, put two new HDD's in, one sata SSD, and one M.2 SSD. The problem we have, stated above, results in the fans running as fast as they can (92x92x25mm at 3500-3800 RPM).

We attempted to reseat the CPU and put new thermal paste on it, and that did nothing other than drop temps from approx 30c to 28c max. I'm thinking it's either a hardware failure of some kind, or somehow along the lines, the temps are being misread somehow. I wouldn't say I'm the most computer literate, but I've spent the last day trying to figure out the solution with not much to show for it. We're completely certain that HWmonitor is accurate because the CPU cooler wasn't scorching hot as I would imagine if the CPU ran at 128c.

The current options I have for the family member is flashing bios again, replacing the CPU, or having professionals run diagnostics on it.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Use fancontrol for temps instead.

Also, best disconnect everything but the boot drive, to see if it's something else causing the anomaly.

HP aren't too good with drivers, do maybe use iobit or similar to get drivers updated before connecting everything.

Reactions: NHugme
Jul 24, 2024
might be a sensor fault on the motherboard or the CPU

update Intel management engine

which BIOS version was installed? and from where did you get it?
Did you reset the CMOS after updating the BIOS?

replace the cmos battery
I think you're right, after taking a bit of time to think on it.

I'll forward the intel management engine to them, I know that's one thing that we didn't do.

As for BIOS, not entirely sure, and sadly the only info I can offer is that they're "the newest." As for CMOS, yes. Cleared CMOS and Bios PW (CMOS pins + PW pins) as we got it, and after BIOS update. CMOS battery is new for me though. I'll forward your message and js2's!

Use fancontrol for temps instead.

Also, best disconnect everything but the boot drive, to see if it's something else causing the anomaly.

HP aren't too good with drivers, do maybe use iobit or similar to get drivers updated before connecting everything.
I wouldn't know where to begin looking for Fancontrol, unless it's software? I did find a website (getfancontrol.com) if that's what you mean! Definitely will forward this though!