Question CPU temperature spikes to 255 degrees.

darker246

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Hy all, so I have this weird problem now.

Recently I bought second hand FX 6300 to replace my old Phenom II X4 945 but I more less had same problem with it as well.

When playing some game or using a heavy sowtware such as some big Photoshop psds and such, my CPU spikes to 255 degrees temparatures causing it for example in games to loose up to 40 FPS for about 15 seconds even though it is not even at 60% load. Now obviously I know that the read is faulty, that temperature would fry it and at very least shut it down, and I monitored it and it seems to go to that temp when it hits 73 actually. But my problem is that FPS drop in games for 15 seconds, it happens every minute and it makes it unplayable.

What could be causing such behaviour when it is not even on heavy load? Some said it might be faulty motherboard or PSU. Now my PSU did start to behave weird as soon as it's warranty expired 4 months ago, when I power up the PC it makes loud tractor noise until my Windows reaches log in screen, then it immidiately stops.

Also, my Windows every other times powers up with some different error after doing "diagnosing.." or "analisyng..." and I just click "continue to windows" and it boots, it has been doing that for months too and I reinstalled Windows 10 3 times since then.

So ultimately after reading these 3 errors could there be some connection between them? And what device is at fault most likely? I will leave my comfiguration below and am begging for answers.

CPU - FX 6300 non OC
RAM - 2x4 GB DDR3
GPU - R9 270X
MB - MSI 760GM-P21
PSU - Raidmax RX500-XT

Thanks in advance for answers.

Jul 14, 2020
To me, it sounds like faulty sensors, on the motherboard and as for a connection between the errors, they probably are connected. There really is no way to tell without diagnosing the problem first however.