Question CPU temperature unstable and fan spinning loudly after upgrading memory and storage

Jun 6, 2022
Hi Guys,

I am newbie to computer hardware and really in needs of your suggestions.

I bought a Powerspec 1520 laptop 3 years ago from Micro Center and was very satisfied with it all the time. BTW, powerspec is a self brand of Micro Center if you didn't heard it before. The CPU of this machine is i7-8750H and the graphic card is RTX 2700. It has a 500G SSD and 16G RAM, and I found them not enough for me recently. Therefore, I made the following upgrade on last Saturday: (1) add a 2T M.2 SSD; (2) add a 1T SATA SSD; (3) add a 16G DDR4-2666 RAM to make it dual-channel.

After doing these, my laptop successfully recognized all these devices. However, some strange things happen.
  • The fan spins pretty loudly (even though not full speed) whenever the laptop restarts. It generally lasts for 5-10 seconds and then goes back to normal state, which is pretty quiet.
  • It happened sometimes that the fan suddenly spins pretty loudly even though I am actually doing nothing. It generally lasts for 5 -10 seconds and then goes back to normal state.
  • Even for some light task, such as open a video webpage and watch the video for several hours, it could happen that the fan becomes loud and keeps spinning loudly until I close that webpage.
I believe I didn't experience any of them before, I cannot even remember when I realized the fan is working last time.

I tried to check what happened by myself. I installed Open Hardware Monitor and observed something I felt strange: all of my 6 CPU cores tend to hit the high clock (3900+ MHz) at the same period, even though I am doing nothing or just ran a single-process script. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think it is necessary to make all 6 cores work so "heavily". I have also scan the whole laptop for virus and malware and nothing serious is found.

In addition, today I also experienced blue screen and black screen. I got "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" and "KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" errors for the blue screen. For the black screen, the only thing I can do is to power off and restart.

Do you have any hints to solve this problem? Once again, I didn't have any of these troubles before I added the new SSD and memory, so the reasons must be related to this upgrade.

Many thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state upgrading your ram, did you get an identical stick of ram to complement the other (lone) stick? As for your laptop, do you have a support portal for said laptop? If so, check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. I asked since I found this, but it wasn't of much help to me or what I was suggesting.

As for your OS (BSOD)issues, what OS are you working with and did you upgrade the OS drive on the laptop during your upgrades?

Jun 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state upgrading your ram, did you get an identical stick of ram to complement the other (lone) stick? As for your laptop, do you have a support portal for said laptop? If so, check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. I asked since I found this, but it wasn't of much help to me or what I was suggesting.

As for your OS (BSOD)issues, what OS are you working with and did you upgrade the OS drive on the laptop during your upgrades?
Thanks so much for your response.

I am not sure it the two ram stick are identical, as I didn't know the brand of the original stick. I have written to Micro Center and they replied any stick is OK as long as it is 16G DDR4-2666. Considering the BSOD hints, I am a little bit suspecting it might be due to the new RAM stick. That been said, I am still confused on why CPU clock, temperature and fan could behave like this.

I just contacted with Micro Center support and unfortunately they said this laptop is out of 1 year warranty so they can not provide in-depth support. I didn't change anything in BIOS when doing upgrade. And, frankly speaking, I think BIOS of Powerspec doesn't have too much things I can play with. For instance, I suspected the CPU issue might be caused by MCE (multi core enhancement) after some searching, but I cannot even find a place to enable or disable MCE in BIOS.

My OS is Win10 and I didn't try anything with OS drive. I just simply put the SSD and RAM in the right position and then added new volumes for SSD. One of my friend suggested me to reinstall Win10, but I really hate to do this as there are lots of data and software in C.