CPU TEMPERATURE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timbob87

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks, lost. It's like a vicious cycle: first I want to upgrade the video card, but I'm worried about my 305W power supply supporting it, then I have to worry about the temperatures of all of these things added together. Then there's the possibility that I might need to put more fans in to control the heat, which ties into how much power I have coming out of my PSU.

I wish I had researched more and built for myself for $500 what Sony built for $800. Oh, well.

Thanks again for your help.

Timbob87

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, 350 is the recommended power, although I thought it was 300 when I ordered it.

I've used the PSU calculator and all of my hardware adds up to only 266W at 100%. I haven't had any problems with it yet, so maybe I'll try adding a fan if I can figure out a good place to put it (no extra mounts in my Vaio case).

Thanks again for your help.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Actually, that idle temp IMO is high. Under load, it probably goes up to thermal limits. I would check and make sure the cooler is mounted correctly and/or change the cooler.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I think he has increased his case temp by changing from the intergrated graphics on board to the 6600GT graphics card.

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If I may, P4's have always been hot runnin. Dump the stock cooler and get one thats copper. Thermaltake makes some good ones. Allow me to pass on an interesting recent experaince.
Just got Quake 4 and loaded it on my comp. After about 30 min of play the CPU overheat alarm starts going off. Reboot and check the temp in BIOS and its 94 C! Whoa! What happened! Pooped the top off and the fans turning and the heat sink itself doesn't feel that hot. Shut down and took it apart, cleaned the cpu, new paste, artic silver, blew the dust out, wasn't much. Put it back together and boot up. Overheat alarm during POST. Scratch head. :roll: Ok, lets see what fries! Played Q4 for hours. Flawless. No smoke, no smell. Hmm..
A couple of days later I got thinking and just on a whim I checked the voltage on the MB connector with my meter. The 5v was only 3.7v! and the 12v was at 9.5v. How was this machine even running. :? Replaced generic 350 W with an Antec TrueBlue 550 W. Bios now says temp in low 40's C, no more alarms.

I need to correct myself, its the Antec TruBlue 480W, not the 550W. Pardons.

My machine
XP3200
Gigabyte MB GA-7N-400-L
1G Kingstone RAM
ATI 9800 Pro Video
Themaltake Silent Boost CPU Cooler
DC

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
My 820D is a heater. even with the Zalman 9500 I'm idling at 47 C. Slightly overclocked on my intel mobo 4%.

my voltages seem slightly high, probably the reason for the increase in temp.