[SOLVED] CPU Temperatures way too high, already re-applied thermal paste and reset BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
So, i had a Corsair H100i V2 installed, when i first installed the new cooling system, i was getting around 52c whilst playing games.

However, recently i found that the fans would constantly change speed up and down every second which was a really irritating sound. After a lot of digging around i realised that the CPU temps were reaching 95c, when playing games and sometimes when idle.

I thought the cooler / pump must have failed but before i took it out i reset the BIOS and re-applied the thermal paste using the pea method. Nothing happened, the same temperatures. Luckily i have a spare intel Stock cooler that was unused and came with the C.P.U.

I was extremely surprised when i installed it that it did not change a thing, the CPU is still reaching the exact same temperatures.

Using an I7-4790K on a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP (with updated BIOS) to run the newer version of the CPU.

(It has been working fine with perfect temperatures for 2 years this issue only just occured)

Can anyone here think of a cause or a fix?

Things i have tried:

Re-Apply Thermal Paste
Reset BIOS
Use different cooler (Intel Stock Cooler)
Corsair Link and CPUID for Temperature Monitoring

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Is there a thermal curve set in the bios for the CPU cooler? Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is the cooler isn't making 100 percent perfect contact with the heatspreader on the CPU. They can rarely be convex, meaning there's only a small portion making the best contact. But as this wasn't an issue before recently, it's most likely not that. I'm racking my brain but nothing is jumping out.

wwaaacs5

Commendable
Oct 19, 2018
does i grow that high, or does it just start out at that temp? iv never seen it, so i would not know, but maybe ur MB is just reading the temp wrong, is the air coming out it much to warm?

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys, i have reset the BIOS to default settings so it should be working like it used to but its just the same issue. There are no settings that would cause a significant increase in temperature.

Its most likely not the case about the heatsink not making contact as i have tried multiple and new heatsinks.

No clue why the motherboard would be reading the temperature wrong if that is the case, as no changes have been made.

The temperature starts at 90c on boot, dies down once all startup programs are running but stays at about 65c idle. If i boot up a game or even chrome i see a jump to 80 / 95+

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
I don't have any thermal cameras available, although i do believe it is either the motherboard or the CPU...im just really confused as to why this issue has only just occured out of the blue.

Im thinking of buying a used Z97 motherboard and seeing if theres a difference...but if i do its a waste of money as i wont be able to return it and Z97s are end of life.

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
So, i had a Corsair H100i V2 installed, when i first installed the new cooling system, i was getting around 52c whilst playing games.

However, recently i found that the fans would constantly change speed up and down every second which was a really irritating sound. After a lot of digging around i realised that the CPU temps were reaching 95c, when playing games and sometimes when idle.

I thought the cooler / pump must have failed but before i took it out i reset the BIOS and re-applied the thermal paste using the pea method. Nothing happened, the same temperatures. Luckily i have a spare intel Stock cooler that was unused and came with the C.P.U.

I was extremely surprised when i installed it that it did not change a thing, the CPU is still reaching the exact same temperatures.

Using an I7-4790K on a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP (with updated BIOS) to run the newer version of the CPU.

(It has been working fine with perfect temperatures for 2 years this issue only just occured)

Can anyone here think of a cause or a fix?

Things i have tried:

Re-Apply Thermal Paste
Reset BIOS
Use different cooler (Intel Stock Cooler)
Corsair Link and CPUID for Temperature Monitoring

Sorry to revive an old thread, just wanted to let people know I fixed this issue by purchasing a different thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5). Once I replaced the old CPU thermal paste, temps were normal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.