[SOLVED] CPU Temps and Turbo Boost (Laptop i7 8750H)

Aug 18, 2021
My laptop is running extremely hot (MSI GL63 8se)

So far i've applied new thermal paste as well as cleaned the heatsink and fans, this helped reduce the temperatures by af few degrees C.

The laptop is around 2 years old.

After doing these steps it still runs incredibly hot 90-94 degrees C under stress tests / gaming.

This led me to search for a way to reduce the temperatures further, and so far i've found that I was able to add an extra set of options under my power plan, which made me able to turn off Turbo Boost.

With this turned off I've managed to sit comfortably at around 70-75 degrees while gaming at the 2,20Ghz stock clock speed of the CPU.

Now here comes the big question I'm hoping someone a bit more tech savvy can help me figure out. Is there any way I can increase the clock just a bit, without having to turn on Turbo Boost and having it give me these crazy temperatures and throttling again? It goes to around 4Ghz with Turbo Boost enabled, and I'm just looking for something a bit more moderate at around 2,6-2,8Ghz and no higher (As I expect this would still put me in a reasonable temperature range)

If any pictures or additional information is required just go ahead, and I will try my best to include it.

Sorry for the long winded post and possibly bad grammar, first post here and also english is not my first language. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would recommend doing this differently. I would Google how to use ThrottleStop for undervolting and limiting boost. I do this on my 9750h and it really helps temps with minimal impact on performance. You can reduce the cpu voltage which reduces the temperature, how much you can reduce will depend on your specific cpu as each cpu is different. You can also limit the maximum turbo/boost speed. This allows the cpu to still use boost but not as high. There is a final step on settings up ThrottleStop to start when you boot up the laptop or you can choose to launch it manually each time.
My laptop is running extremely hot (MSI GL63 8se)

So far i've applied new thermal paste as well as cleaned the heatsink and fans, this helped reduce the temperatures by af few degrees C.

The laptop is around 2 years old.

After doing these steps it still runs incredibly hot 90-94 degrees C under stress tests / gaming.

This led me to search for a way to reduce the temperatures further, and so far i've found that I was able to add an extra set of options under my power plan, which made me able to turn off Turbo Boost.

With this turned off I've managed to sit comfortably at around 70-75 degrees while gaming at the 2,20Ghz stock clock speed of the CPU.

Now here comes the big question I'm hoping someone a bit more tech savvy can help me figure out. Is there any way I can increase the clock just a bit, without having to turn on Turbo Boost and having it give me these crazy temperatures and throttling again? It goes to around 4Ghz with Turbo Boost enabled, and I'm just looking for something a bit more moderate at around 2,6-2,8Ghz and no higher (As I expect this would still put me in a reasonable temperature range)

If any pictures or additional information is required just go ahead, and I will try my best to include it.

Sorry for the long winded post and possibly bad grammar, first post here and also english is not my first language. Thanks in advance!
What thermal paste did you use?

I personally prefer Gelid GC Extreme or Arctic MX4 and MX5 for laptops rather than kingpin kpx and kryonaut since they will dry up earlier.

Also clean the dust on the heat fins and the fan so that it will suck more air better and dissipate heat more efficiently.

I would recommend doing this differently. I would Google how to use ThrottleStop for undervolting and limiting boost. I do this on my 9750h and it really helps temps with minimal impact on performance. You can reduce the cpu voltage which reduces the temperature, how much you can reduce will depend on your specific cpu as each cpu is different. You can also limit the maximum turbo/boost speed. This allows the cpu to still use boost but not as high. There is a final step on settings up ThrottleStop to start when you boot up the laptop or you can choose to launch it manually each time.

Solution
Many laptops have locked out CPU voltage control. MSI laptops usually have a hidden BIOS menu so you can enable this feature. Setting the core and cache to an undervolt of -125 mV is usually a good place to start testing when you have an 8750H. Here is an example.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlJkZ5PHZU

If you only want to reduce the CPU speed, if the ThrottleStop FIVR Turbo Ratio Limits are unlocked, you can lower those to reduce your CPU speed. If those are locked, open the TPL window, check the Speed Shift option and reduce the Speed Shift Max variable to lower the maximum speed of your CPU.

ttKFQql.png

Do not check Disable Turbo on the main screen. It is much better to adjust how much turbo boost your CPU uses compared to completely disabling all turbo boost.

Aug 18, 2021
Really appreciate the help you all took the time to give me! So far I've managed to underclock the base voltage by 0.125V (through BIOS) and setting the max clock of all cores to 3.2Ghz (through ThrottleStop)

The only problem now seems to be that ThrottleStop will revert the settings every now and then. But when it works I'm able to run Cyberpunk 2077 on medium settings and having GPU and CPU temps both at aproximately 80 degrees C.

Now if anyone could guide me to how I might be able to set the max clock of the cores through BIOS to help stop the problem of ThrottleStop not always keeping the changes that I've made, that would just be icing on the cake! Thank you so much for the help so far!

PS. for the question regarding the thermal paste which I used, it is NT-H1 from Noctua.

@TangoC - Your thermal issues might be related to NT-H1. Some people have problems with this paste when used direct die in a laptop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtkiBwQV-U

Desktop CPUs have an integrated heat spreader over top of the cores that laptop CPUs do not have. A good paste for desktop CPUs may not be great for mobile CPUs. Noctua NT-H2 has better long term results when used in a laptop.

ThrottleStop will revert the settings
When properly setup, this should not be happening. Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR window and the TPL window so I can see how you have ThrottleStop setup.

ThrottleStop has to be left running, minimized to the system tray, so it can maintain the settings that you have entered. If you exit ThrottleStop, the settings can change.

You can get better results by using ThrottleStop to undervolt compared to using the BIOS. The reason for this is that ThrottleStop lets you adjust the core and cache voltages individually. Intel XTU and the BIOS force both of these voltages to the same value. It is not necessary to do this. There are two separate registers in the CPU; one for the core voltage and one for the cache voltage.

Here are some Cinebench results that show the improvement when these two voltages are set individually.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2HZjwlS6B5vO-m6HrkYMuiu8yVh3LvY/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: