[SOLVED] CPU temps in 80s-90s. Any suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 5, 2020
I got a prebuilt ABS PC from Newegg. Specs are:

CPU: Intel 10850k
CPU Cooler: GAMDIAS AIO Liquid Cooler (newegg link here)
GPU: EVGA 3080 GPU
Motherboard: Z490 AORUS PRO AX
Case: Rosewill Spectra D100 (newegg link here); it has 3 intake fans and one exhaust fan
RAM: G Skillz Trident 32GB 3200Mhz

During some games like Halo, the CPU temps are not too bad (50-60C). During more demanding games like COD Warzone and Microsoft Flight Simulator, the CPU temps can hang around the 80s, and occasionally go as high as 90. Occasionally it may crash when it gets to 95.

I updated the Motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. Still no luck. The CPU cooler is controlled manually with a remote controller; I increased the fan speed to the maximum, and it still didn't change the temperature at all even though the fan noise level was noticeably louder.

1. What else can I do to quell the CPU temperatures? Is there some trouble shooting I can do with the motherboard to prevent it from getting that hot, even if I sacrifice some FPS in the games? To my knowledge, I'm not overclocking, or trying to. I'm just letting the pre-built PC do its thing out of the box.

2. What would be the benefit of going with a different case (such as a Cooler Master H500)? The Rosewill Spectra d100 is a budget $50 case that ABS is using b/c it increases their profit margin. I haven't seen detailed thermals on it online; it has 3 intake and one exhaust.

3. What would be the benefit of using a different CPU cooler altogether? I didn't find much information on this GAMDIAS CPU cooler; reviews seem okay, and again, I get the vibe ABS is using it b/c it's cheap and increases their profit margin. But I'm not too knowledgeable about CPU coolers to know if upgrading to a different CPU cooler will make all the difference since this is also a Liquid AIO cooler.

The GPU temps are at a rock solid 78-79C and never go higher than that.

Solution
I agree. I would definitely not go with a 240mm AIO for that CPU. You should be looking at 280 or 360mm models, which that case supports.

And, while I agree that Gamersnexus has given a thumbs up for the Arctic liquid freezer AIO models, they have also made it abundantly clear that they have no idea what the longevity of those units is going to be like because the fact is that the majority of Arctic's products are pretty cheaply made, and no attempt to hide that fact. They are clearly, all, decent, but budget oriented hardware, including their fans and heatsink coolers, but they are almost certainly a step up from anything that Gamedias sells that I've seen.

You should seriously consider cancelling that order and going with the 280mm...
Jul 5, 2020
Point is though, if you were still riding a much older model, like Haswell, or FX, or even Kaby lake, then it would make a lot more sense. Upgrading from a 10th Gen top of the line Intel processor to a Ryzen 5000 series makes no sense to anybody other than somebody that just has too much money and has to have the latest thing, every time a new latest thing comes along, or somebody with a lot more money than sense. The gain will be minimal if it exists at all, which we really don't know yet. Early benchmarks are RARELY accurate. Reviews always seem to tell a much different story.

I suspect we'll finally see parity between Intel and AMD with AMD PROBABLY being the slightly less expensive option, and also as mentioned, potentially being less power hungry. But to go from what you have to that would be like going from one 50,000 dollar car that can do 225mph to another 50,000 dollar car that can do 227mph. So you gained 2mph and spend another 50,000 dollars to get it. I can't see any way that makes sense to anybody.
That's how I look at it too. The difference is marginal. I didn't even care that Intel was PCI 3.0 and even the 3000 series Ryzens were PCI 4.0. The bench mark videos I see on Youtube show that they're all pretty comparable and similar, with Ryzen having the edge in price to performance. If I were to build my own, I would have just gotten Ryzen 5000 b/c it was newer. But in this case, when a pre-built option presented itself, even with components I wouldnt have chosen first, I grabbed it, but it was going to fulfill my basic needs of running Flight Simulator and other games at 4K. I may have to do some tweaking around with the case/cooler, but that's maybe okay since they're inter-changeble and not as expensive as all the other parts [MB, CPU, GPU].

Jul 5, 2020
Maybe next time you should be more patient xD, ah well i guess you are gonna have slightly worse fps and a higher power bill for being to impatient xD

Edit : if you are gonna have a super inefficient cpu then why not just overclock it just so you can atleast brag about ur cpu being 5.5 ghz (which is still beaten in frequency to my now degraded p4 631 5.656ghz @ 1.8875vcore and 2.46v pll)
Lol. Again, I can't even tell the FPS difference given my TV runs at 60 Hz. I do see Flight Simulator run below 60 FPS at 4K ultra when in more challenging environments like cities. But in natural environments (mountains/glaciers), I see it get to 90-120 FPS sometimes. The difference will probably be less than 10%.

If the 3080 availability issue wasn't a big deal, it would have made sense to wait for Ryzen 5000, even if it meant giving it 1 month more. I would not have waited for Intel's Rocket Lake 11th gen b/c that's too far out.

I'm happy I purchase this Intel build b/c I have my PC right now, and get to enjoy it daily in the present, rather than constantly wondering when I'll get the 3080, or hitting refresh multiple times a day on newegg and bestbuy trying to snag it.

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
Lol. Again, I can't even tell the FPS difference given my TV runs at 60 Hz. I do see Flight Simulator run below 60 FPS at 4K ultra when in more challenging environments like cities. But in natural environments (mountains/glaciers), I see it get to 90-120 FPS sometimes. The difference will probably be less than 10%.

If the 3080 availability issue wasn't a big deal, it would have made sense to wait for Ryzen 5000, even if it meant giving it 1 month more. I would not have waited for Intel's Rocket Lake 11th gen b/c that's too far out.

I'm happy I purchase this Intel build b/c I have my PC right now, and get to enjoy it daily in the present, rather than constantly wondering when I'll get the 3080, or hitting refresh multiple times a day on newegg and bestbuy trying to snag it.
Hmm if you cant notice the difference download msi afterburner and the rivatuner statistics server and see how much fps you get in games, if you dont notice the difference then maybe lower the voltages and boost clocks of the 10850 so you keep a stable 65 fps, 65fps just to account for framerate dips, basically lower voltages and boost clock for your cpu so you dont have a really high power bill xD or not overclock it in winter time assuming you are in a country with 4 seasons so it acts like a room heater xD