[SOLVED] CPU temps low in games, high and unsafe in stress test, what can I get away with?

NatoPotato390

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Using a decent case, 2 intake, 3 exhaust
Windows 10
Ryzen 5 2600 OC @ 3.7GHz w/ stock cooler (yes, I know OC on stock cooler is stupid, now hush)
1660ti OC as much as i could, never passes 60C so no temp problems there
b350m ds3h bios ver f32
16gb ram

So, here's the story,
a while after building my new pc, I decided to overclock it and managed to hit 3.9GHz without passing 80C, all was well and good for a long while.
I then had to replace my mobo as it was having problems, so i had to reapply thermal paste. I'm not sure if it was just that i did a bad job or the fact that it was the cheapest brand i could find, I can no longer reach 3.9, it starts to hit 85C at 3.7. I am in no position to get new thermal paste or a better cooler so I'm gonna make do with what I have.'
However currently I am only using my PC to play Breath of the Wild on a Wii u emulator (cemu) and Minecraft. Of course, Minecraft is all well and dandy before the oc, no problems there, however with BOTW, @3.9GHz I am able to hit a consistent 60fps no matter where I go in the game. With 3.7 i drop below 60fps in quite a few sections of the game, mainly villages. I know its not much to complain about, but getting the consistent 60fps would be great. the 3.7ghz at 85C is perfectly stable, and my ryzen only gets up to around 50-55C in BOTW, so my question is can i get away with a higher overclock since I won't be using the cpu in intense games. No, there is no other optimizations I can make right now to run BOTW better, this is the only option I have to try so no need to suggest anything other than this.

TL;DR games i play never pass 55C, can I oc past safe stress test temps of 85C.

Solution
If your voltage and other settings are exactly the same as before, but the only difference is the clock speed being lower, and yet your temps are higher, then something is amiss and I would make sure you didn't put too much or too little thermal paste or perhaps mounted the cooler slightly off.

You can let your CPU get to 90 during a stress test, since it's only for testing stability of your overclock and you won't ever run that hot during normal usage.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not all motherboards and VRM's are made equal as you have found out first hand.
Check your overclock settings in terms of anything that is trying to go full auto for things like voltage.
keep your voltage in check, and if it supports manual voltage settings with no auto offsets, then go manual and fine tune it.

NatoPotato390

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
not all motherboards and VRM's are made equal as you have found out first hand.
Check your overclock settings in terms of anything that is trying to go full auto for things like voltage.
keep your voltage in check, and if it supports manual voltage settings with no auto offsets, then go manual and fine tune it.
My overclock isn't the issue, everything is turned off auto and like usual, lowering my voltage causes instability. My question is if its ok to keep increasing GHz if it cant handle safe temps in a stress test.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If your voltage and other settings are exactly the same as before, but the only difference is the clock speed being lower, and yet your temps are higher, then something is amiss and I would make sure you didn't put too much or too little thermal paste or perhaps mounted the cooler slightly off.

You can let your CPU get to 90 during a stress test, since it's only for testing stability of your overclock and you won't ever run that hot during normal usage.

Solution