[SOLVED] CPU temps running really hot after installing 1080TI.

Feb 22, 2022
I recently took out my GTX 1070 and replaced it with a 1080TI that I had lying around. Before anyone asks why I just had the GPU lying around, it's because I needed to replace the PSU in order to be able to use it.

Anyway, I have a new PSU (Corsair RM750). Once I got the new PSU, I installed the GPU. My CPU fan is now hitting like, 85-90 when I open games and try to play them. When using a browser and not doing much, idle temp is about 50ish.

GPU temp sits at around 68 with load, so I know it's not the GPU causing the issue.

I took the heatsink that I have off, and reapplied thermal paste, and the problem still persists. Anyone know what could be causing it?

CPU: i7-7700K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Cooler: Corsair H80i (quite old, I think I've had it since 2014). I'm using different fans coupled with the heatsink, the stock Corsair fans were too loud.)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F
PSU: Corsair RM750

Solution
gpu itself probably heats more than your previous GPU and more frames your GPU renders, more CPU work has to be done

rightnow your cpu cooler gets hot air from GPU (as it takes hot air from inside case), when you switch it to intake (fan in front of rad with fan blades pointing outside) your CPU will get fresh cool air from outside
so it will suck cool air from outside and throws it at radiator, thats what intake is

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Feb 22, 2022
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/183799/nvidia-gtx1070-8192-160520

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190928/nvidia-gtx1080ti-11264-170118

That's the FE models - expect aftermarket models to match that or be higher, and dump their waste heat in the PC.
You've almost doubled power consumption off the gpu alone. My guess is you were getting by just fine because power use was low... you were using the H80i as a rear or top exhaust? Might be a good idea to change that to a front intake.

I’m sorry, I’m pretty dumb when it comes to cooling.

Could you explain what you mean by changing it to a front intake?

I do use it as a rear exhaust (meaning it’s attached to the back of my case). If that’s what you mean?

gpu itself probably heats more than your previous GPU and more frames your GPU renders, more CPU work has to be done

rightnow your cpu cooler gets hot air from GPU (as it takes hot air from inside case), when you switch it to intake (fan in front of rad with fan blades pointing outside) your CPU will get fresh cool air from outside
so it will suck cool air from outside and throws it at radiator, thats what intake is

Solution