Question CPU temps spiking

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Hi, I have a ryzen 5 2600x. The thermal paste that the wraith prisme or however the stock cooler is called, got kinda old, so I replaced it. I used a coolermaster htk-002. At first I put too little and after some hours of video calling and web browsing the temps hit 50 degrees continually, so I changed method, I cleaned the old paste and I put a paper thin layer on theCPU and then a little more in the center, just to be sure. The lowest temperature I get in 1-2% load is 37-38 celcius. My issue is that each 10-20seconds the temperature rises to 50 and then immediately goes down. The cooler starts doing faster too. Is it normal, or is it something else? (I used cotton and hand lotion (isopropyl alcohol 90°) to clean up the paste)

D

Deleted member 1560910

Open task manager and see what programs are running and how much is in use during the spikes

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Pretty typical as it processes a background task when it demands some attention. Ryzen tries to idle as many cores as possible in a low power state and only wake them up when a processing task comes along, when it does it spikes and then falls away as soon as it can.
Nzxt cam doesn't show any rise in CPU load when the spikes happen