[SOLVED] CPU temps warmer in 2160p

IanMalcolm89

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
Hi all,

I upgraded my GPU and PSU to make the jump from 1080p to 4K, no other new parts used. I noticed when benchmarking and monitoring that the CPU temperatures rose about 7-8 degrees celsius after changing to 4K. Is this normal because the CPU has to calculate more at a higher resolution?

Some facts:
  • The CPU usage is not much higher than it was at 1080p.
  • The new GPU in 2160p is running cooler than my previous GPU did at 1080p.
  • I am using an I5-9600k with a Corsair H60 (2018), the thermal paste was applied less than two years ago.

Gaming examples:
(CPU intensive game) COD Warzone - CPU highs of 70 degrees celsius at 2160p, CPU highs of 62 degrees celsius at 1080p (with previous GPU)
(Non CPU intensive game) Resident Evil 2 - CPU highs of 52 degrees celsius at 2160p, CPU highs of 45 degrees celsius at 1080p (with previous GPU)

Thanks to everyone who came here to read and answer questions!

Solution
I'd expect CPU temps/workload to be reduced at 4K compared to 1080P as the bottleneck is primarily the GPU when at 4k... (although your new GPU might run cooler temps, than does not mean it is not now dumping more heat into the case, however, which might affect an AIOs results at cooling a CPU, depending on the status of where your radiator is pulling it's inputs from......)
Actually resolution has minimal impact on cpu workload. 60fps at 1080p will be similar to 60fps at 4K. Some games are the same and some will see a small increase in workload.

Is your cpu cooler setup as an exhaust? If yes I expect what you are seeing is the gpu heating up the air in the case making it harder to cool the cpu.

Reactions: IanMalcolm89

IanMalcolm89

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
Actually resolution has minimal impact on cpu workload. 60fps at 1080p will be similar to 60fps at 4K. Some games are the same and some will see a small increase in workload.

Is your cpu cooler setup as an exhaust? If yes I expect what you are seeing is the gpu heating up the air in the case making it harder to cool the cpu.

My CPU cooler is set up as exhaust, that’s interesting. I was impressed that the new GPU runs at such low temps but that could be because it’s good at displacing warm air.

I'd expect CPU temps/workload to be reduced at 4K compared to 1080P as the bottleneck is primarily the GPU when at 4k... (although your new GPU might run cooler temps, than does not mean it is not now dumping more heat into the case, however, which might affect an AIOs results at cooling a CPU, depending on the status of where your radiator is pulling it's inputs from......)

Reactions: IanMalcolm89
Solution