cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Hello,
Recently I have noticed my CPU’s fan revving. I was always keeping an eye out on MSI Afterburner, just to be sure. Today the fan was going up repeatedly, but MSI was showing good temps.
I have downloaded AIDA64 and SpeedFan and noticed that the temps were past 100deg Celsius on both apps. On idle, the temps were jumping from 40 to 120, which is pretty absurd.

I want to mention that my system had no signs of throttling.

It’s an i5 and it’s not OC’ed, and the cooler is an aftermarket.

When entering the BIOS, temps were ranging from 35 to 40. Now I don’t know what to do and which program to trust.

Solution
Why don't you google for a bug on the sensor reading of your specific motherboard and all those programs? It's not unheard of incompatibilities between them, so...

Cheers!
What are your full system specs?

Aida 64 is pretty accurate from my findings, however, I prefer HWmonitor.
Make sure temps for both cpu and GPU while under load are under 80c.

If the temps are over 80c, make sure your case and cooler are not dusty. You may need to make sure the cooler is seated properly and potentially apply new thermal paste.

AtNvme

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
www.twitch.tv
This could be a few things:

1. Misplaced/Moved cooler
  2. Very old thermal paste
  3. Some sort of sensor issue (would be surprising)

I had a similar problem once, and it was my cooler which wasn't settled in properly, try having a look.
Make sure it's tightened up good and that it's properly lined up with your CPU.

If that's all good, it may be the paste, which with age can start crumbling up.

HWMonitor is a good software to use for temp tracking.

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Hello, thanks for answering.
I have come with an update.

I just replaced the cooler with the stock one, replaced the thermal paste with a deep cool paste and that changed nothing.

Here is a photo that shows current temps: View: https://imgur.com/a/qwqfHQQ

specs:
cpu- i5-2500k
motherboard- asrock h61m-vg3
cooler: just changed to stock right now to check things out

BIOS temps: 35-40

No signs of throttling so far, and I am using the computer to write this message.

Last day I had 120degrees, which kinda surprises me because the computer did not shut down nor made any sign of thermal throttling

Last edited:
If the CPU has hit >90°C at any point in time, it will be registered for sure. That's scary as hell, specially for an old i5 2500K. Other than that, and if I'm reading the information from the image you posted correctly, IDLE temps over 40°C are not that good either.

I suggest you buy proper thermal paste: ArticSilver5, MX-4 or other ceramic-based ones in the market which aren't really expensive. Then, make sure the HSF (metal think to cool the CPU) is properly placed on top of the CPU and make sure the springs (if it's a snap-in version) are not given out to keep the metal touching in full the CPU area. Also, clean the CPU surface to get rid of all paste and gunk; same for the metal surface of the heat sink. Make sure the Fans are working in proper order as well; and connected to the Motherboard!

Cheers!

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the reply, but, as I said, there are no traces of thermal throttling and it’s quite confusing for me. In the photo above, I opened 4 different well known monitoring programs, and there are not the same results. I could play games with no problems, including GTA V, ArmA 3 and so on.

Is the Deep Cool thermal paste good? I’ve reseated the cooler and it’s fixed (Did that multiple times)

*I have never had more than 75deg on full load on that CPU, at least on MSI Afterburner.

So if you dont want the fans to run change the fan curve. If thermals are fine, you coulr set the fan to run at a slower speed untill a high temp.

120c would definately cause throttling or shutdown. If this didnt happen, i suspect a sensor malfunction or software reporting incorrectly

Thanks for the reply, but, as I said, there are no traces of thermal throttling and it’s quite confusing for me. In the photo above, I opened 4 different well known monitoring programs, and there are not the same results. I could play games with no problems, including GTA V, ArmA 3 and so on.

Is the Deep Cool thermal paste good? I’ve reseated the cooler and it’s fixed (Did that multiple times)

*I have never had more than 75deg on full load on that CPU, at least on MSI Afterburner.
Well, I do find weird 2 different monitoring tools would report temps >90°C... Unless those are the VRMs, which would be absolutely normal in that case.

If you've never seen, while playing or doing other CPU heavy stuff, your CPU go above 70°C (which is still kind of high IMO), it should be fine...

Cheers!

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
One more thing: Yesterday the cpu fan started throttling itself, max and low for about 10 minutes then remained on the normal rpm. Could that be related to cpu temps? Again, the temps on msi were ok.

Should I invest in a new thermal paste? And what caused the fan to start spinning fast? In BIOS the speed was set in auto then i changed it to manual or something, same result on both.

Thanks guys!

I'd keep monitoring the CPU whenever you'll be using it in full, as I'm curious about the behaviour you're seeing. Not necessarily worry, but just grab data and see if there's any differences or gaps that are worth investigating.

Cheers!

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Hey, here's a quick update:
Downloaded AXTU aswell for a reason.

AXTU temps: 43C/50% usage

HWMonitor: 43C/same usage

MSI Afterburner: 44C/same usage

AIDA64/even iObit/SpeedFan/: 95C/same usage -_-

I am completely lost. Maybe a broken sensor or are they detecting something else? I was making sure that i checked the right thing. Yet no sign of throttling as I said so many times in this thread

EDIT: is it worth mentioning that I've enabled XMP profiles or a similar option in BIOS?

Last edited:

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the fast answer. I just stress tested the cpu using Cinebench and the temps started to go down, but only in AIDA64 and the rest of the programs that showed high numbers. May that be it? Just a bug of some sort or sign of sensor errors?