EzRa_KurLz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
My sisters PCs fans have been ramping up then slowing down and decided to see, changed her fan curves and checked her temps. For whatever reason her CPU is “idling” at 60-80 and will sometimes even get to 90. Trying an anti virus cleared any out that she had rebooted and still no luck. I noticed her CPU usage will randomly spike up to about 30% then go down a bit then back up again. She has an amd 3700x with the wraith cooler on it which all she does is play games like planet zoo and sims on it with some other intensive games on it. Oh and I’ve also cleared out any dust from the PC. Does anyone have an ideas as to why this would be happening? I’m pretty stumped on what it would be as even in the bios it’ll get really hot up to 75 just in the bios screen. She’s had the PC for a while now maybe about two years. Don’t know any reason besides maybe replacing the cooler or the thermal paste all together but if there’s any other solutions I’d rather try those out first.
Thanks ahead of time for anyone’s help.

EzRa_KurLz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
Were her temps ever "good"?

If so what and how long ago?
Yes I built her PC about two years ago and it’d idle at 30 (kept the temps from hardware monitor) and I used her PC last week and noticed how loud it’d get and tried fixing it for her. I asked her when this started happening she said she didn’t notice until maybe about a couple weeks ago and even noticed her performance dropped on some games.

Have you personally witnessed with your own eyeballs that all case fans and the CPU fan are spinning as you would expect?

Going from a 30 idle to 60 plus idle suggests something major....if accurate.

Have you checked temps with more than one tool?

EzRa_KurLz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
Have you personally witnessed with your own eyeballs that all case fans and the CPU fan are spinning as you would expect?

Going from a 30 idle to 60 plus idle suggests something major....if accurate.

Have you checked temps with more than one tool?
Yeah I checked temps through the bios and hardware monitor like I said before. And same to see her fan speed plus you can audibly hear them speeding up for about a minute or so then ramping down as temps go up