Question CPU that supports DDR2 800mhz RAM

Oct 16, 2019
Hello.

A friend of mine is building a retro XP gaming PC similar to mine but, he's having a hard time finding a CPU that supports DDR2 RAM.

His build as of now:

CORSAIR CX450W (He doesnt trust pre-owned or old PSU's so he's using PSU thats more modern and safer)
WINDOWS XP PRO SP3 32BIT
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB DDR2 800MHZ
FOXCONN G31S MATX
WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB HDD 7200RPM

Oh I forgot to mention the CPU needs to be 65w or under as his build will have a CPU cooler that cools no more than 65w.

He prefers Intel CPU's like me so any recommendations would be appreciated thanks.

UPDATE: (MOBO CHOSEN FOXCONN G31S SO WILL BE 1GB INSTEAD OF 2 . 800MHZ IS THE FASTEST SPEED THE BOARD WILL TAKE. STILL HAVENT CHOSEN A CPU OR GPU YET.)

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware they made DDR2-1600. Seems like an expensive waste of money if you ask me. Stick with the much more common DDR2-800.

CPU = Core2 Quad

What's the reason for the 65W limitation? >65W coolers aren't expensive. Plus, you're going to want to overclock this dinosaur!!! >20% overclocks were pretty common back then.

SSD

Oct 16, 2019
There actually 1GB sticks at 800mhz.

We have no experience in overclocking as it complicated so hes just going to use the components as they are.

The cooler was something he found and its limitations are to 65w CPUs.

Probably he wanted to save cash instead of buying one.

Last edited: