[SOLVED] CPU thermal throttling when temps are okay ?

Mar 7, 2021
Hello! I have recently discovered a problem with my non - overclocked i7-2700k where at around about 68-69°C it throttles from 3.6 to 1.6 GHz. I have tried to undervolt it, and while it kept my temps under 65, it still throttled. I have also turned my fan profile up so it will keep it a bit cooler, but even though both of these solutions did delay it, it did still throttle. It is really killing my performance in games and I would love it if someone could help me. Other than the mobo, I can't think of a reason it would be doing this, but if it is the mobo I can't do anything about it. Link to video : CPU throttling at less than 70°C - YouTube sorry for weird aspect ratio.

Solution
Your cooler does not have the best of mounting systems.
It is also not any better than the stock intel cooler that came with the processor.
They both use a 92mm fan.
See if you can't repaste and remount your cooler.
It may not be level on the processor.
Different cores are located on different parts of the die and possibly one of them is not getting good heat dissipation.
Another thought is that you might try the stock cooler if you have it.
It is a downdraft cooler that will cool the motherboard a bit better if that is your problem.
Usually, I like the tower types better since they direct heat more directly out the back of the case.
When remounting, do not use too much paste or it will act as an insulator.
A small drop in the center...
What is your cpu cooler?
Can your case send enough fresh air to the cooler to let it do it's job?

Run HWinfo or such, it will display current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient as a minimum.
After the problem happens look at the maximum temperature.
The thermal throttle point is around 100c.
If you see a max of 100c, you have throttled.

What motherboard do you have? This type of throttling problem is common on MSI desktop motherboards and Dell laptops but it can happen on a wide variety of different computers.

Intel XTU incorrectly reports this as thermal throttling. The CPU temperature is nowhere near the 100°C thermal throttling temperature so it is not thermal throttling.

This is usually BD PROCHOT throttling. This is when a sensor on your motherboard goes bad and starts sending false throttling signals to the CPU using the BD PROCHOT signal path. You can use ThrottleStop to monitor for and correct this type of throttling. Just clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop and see if that helps.

If you are still having problems, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop when throttling is in progress. Intel XTU does not include any features to help solve these issues so exit XTU when testing with ThrottleStop.

Intel XTU incorrectly reports this as thermal throttling. The CPU temperature is nowhere near the 100°C thermal throttling temperature so it is not thermal throttling.
The CPU isn't the only thing that can overheat and cause throttling, on a 10 year old motherboard it could very well be the VRMs that have degraded enough to cause issues, maybe there is a tiny chance for dust buildup that hinders cooling on the VRMs so cleaning the case might help.

Mar 7, 2021
What is your cpu cooler?
Can your case send enough fresh air to the cooler to let it do it's job?

Run HWinfo or such, it will display current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient as a minimum.
After the problem happens look at the maximum temperature.
The thermal throttle point is around 100c.
If you see a max of 100c, you have throttled.
My cooler is an arctic freezer 7x I will check how info now. My case allows for plenty of air but I will move my case fans to help the cpu and vrms a bit more.

Mar 7, 2021
What motherboard do you have? This type of throttling problem is common on MSI desktop motherboards and Dell laptops but it can happen on a wide variety of different computers.

This is usually BD PROCHOT throttling. This is when a sensor on your motherboard goes bad and starts sending false throttling signals to the CPU using the BD PROCHOT signal path. You can use ThrottleStop to monitor for and correct this type of throttling. Just clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop and see if that helps.

If you are still having problems, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop when throttling is in progress. Intel XTU does not include any features to help solve these issues so exit XTU when testing with ThrottleStop.

I tried to use throttle stop before to disable BD PROCHOT and while it did work for a bit after a couple minutes of my cpu staying around 70 my pc switched itself off.

Mar 7, 2021
The CPU isn't the only thing that can overheat and cause throttling, on a 10 year old motherboard it could very well be the VRMs that have degraded enough to cause issues, maybe there is a tiny chance for dust buildup that hinders cooling on the VRMs so cleaning the case might help.
I am starting to think that too and I will give it a clean and move my fans now.

Mar 7, 2021
My cooler is an arctic freezer 7x I will check how info now. My case allows for plenty of air but I will move my case fans to help the cpu and vrms a bit more.
I have installed and tested it with hwinfo and while you were right about my minimum being about 45 degrees which is quite a bit over ambient, when running cinebench to push it it throttled many times and the maximum temp only ever hit 67. Another weird thing was hwinfo saying it never thermal throttled.

Mar 7, 2021
Something else I just noticed while looking at openhardwaremonitor is that my cpu is actually throttling at least one core most of the time. I also noticed that there is one temperature that is in the 80's while nothing is happening. I don't know what the temperature is measuring but it is very high and it goes down when my cpu throttles. temps clocks

Your cooler does not have the best of mounting systems.
It is also not any better than the stock intel cooler that came with the processor.
They both use a 92mm fan.
See if you can't repaste and remount your cooler.
It may not be level on the processor.
Different cores are located on different parts of the die and possibly one of them is not getting good heat dissipation.
Another thought is that you might try the stock cooler if you have it.
It is a downdraft cooler that will cool the motherboard a bit better if that is your problem.
Usually, I like the tower types better since they direct heat more directly out the back of the case.
When remounting, do not use too much paste or it will act as an insulator.
A small drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.

If you want a new cooler, check how much room you have. Most will want 160mm.
They will come with adequate paste.

CM hyper212 is popular, mainly because it is cheap.
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-20pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099
I found it hard to mount level.
For $10 more, buy the noctua NH-U12s redux.
It is easy to mount and comes with an excellent fan.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1

Solution
How long has it been since the thermal paste was replaced on the heatsink ? It will last a long time if not disturbed by I usually wont go more than 3 years between refreshing it since some types can dry out and become less effective over time.